The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Vengeance for a Thief Part 1 by Sir Taffsalot (06/09/2012)

Sir Taffsalot

33 members have voted

1. 1. Appearance

• Poor
    • Could be better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent
  2. 2. Gameplay

• Poor
    • Could be better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent
  3. 3. Story

• Poor
    • Could be better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent

One thing surprised me.

I was trying to ghost it and found that when a rope arrow was hanging from a balcony the guards saw it and waited underneath discussing it.

Guard A: Look over there, Sir Butterfinger, a fine rope hanging is 'bout!

Guard B: Indeed, indeed, Lord Fetterfleck, haven't seen a finer specimen in my life, I reckon! *puts monocle to eye*

Guard A: It's swinging gentle in the wind.

Guard B: Careful now, let's not disturb lest it takes off.

:D

• Like 1

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

A good mission, with some ups and downs.

• Really liked the atmosphere of the guard station, which had a good use of music and architecture. It was creepy sneaking around.
  • The city, while it was a bit rectangular, had nice detailwork. Impressive how much you can do with simple geometric shapes.
  • The expert level loot goal is pretty harsh and without the ability to backtrack, can become crippling.
  • Also, performance in the city is not ideal with all the long views, but at least we got some nice, towering houses to sneak around. :)

All in all, I liked this FM, and it took some time to complete. Looking forward to the next part!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I keep reading posts about performance hits.

On this one the only time I saw anything was when walking down one of the long streets there was a slight hesitation in the sound and possibly the movement although I suspect that if the sound hadn't hesitated I don't think I would have noticed it.

The reason for this comment is that I wouldn't have said my rig was anything out of the ordinary as it was a budget gaming build in Dec 2007 with the 8800GT graphics card playing on 1680 x 1050 resolution

Regarding my earlier post. I have played it again, this time getting all the loot, and I agree that the guard station is really very good. Not too difficult but requiring care with the number of guards walking about.

In the street I really liked the horses which among other things made for a handy reference point when I was trying to remember where I had been

Good Mission so far, I liked it.

Some loot was nicely hidden that I almost missed (those old crates trick still gets me, I seem to be a slow learner in that regard, won't forget about that in the future,ha!).

Other loot seemed too hard to get - like the goblet in the sewers - in such a spacious map I won't look at every squarefoot this closely.

I feel the map is a bit too large for its content - I found myself running around uselessly a lot, mostly because there were few hints where to go next to progress - I often took the wrong direction.

Also it felt a bit empty here and there - wide open spaces, long distances to run sneak and not so much to see or do. Had you made the map half its current size it may have been better.

The city streets felt a bit rectangular and empty/clean - but tolerable, if one imagines them as an upper class part of town.

"Pale breasts" and her 20 best minutes was ... amusing, if somewhat unexpected. But most strangely, it seemed in good place, people would have such literature, but I think they would hide it a bit, not letting it laying around prominently.

Nevertheless, thank you for a good time!

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

"When outmatched... cheat."— Batman

Little bug with guard at the beginning :D

(Just returned to his chair and suddenly he sees me)

shot00001zt.jpg

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Can somebody point me in the general direction of the 'find out who framed you' objective, not an outright spoiler, but a hint, I have seemed to look everywhere in the city, but cannot locate this.

CycloManiac!

Can somebody point me in the general direction of the 'find out who framed you' objective, not an outright spoiler, but a hint, I have seemed to look everywhere in the city, but cannot locate this.

look for a house that has City Watch statues on it.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Great mission so far ( I say so far because I haven't yet found my way out of the police station after a couple of hours play which is par for the course for me ! ) I will get out though !!! Like the mug I am , I

wandered around the downstairs ( interview?) room for half an our checking all the cupboards for my stuff before realizing the evidence room was upstairs ! I was grateful for the practice arrows as I was so fed up with the two patrolling guards disturbing me in doing this that i ended up bumping them off to get some peace!

Now where is that way out , I will find it promise !

Hint: find a readable in

the fancy upstairs offices....

Thanks for that Biker ,

I'll take another peek up there ,after bumping around the cells looking for a way out for an hour I think I owe it to myself !!

Once you have done that you'll need

a key for "down there"

Think I may already have come across that !

Really enjoyed the police station - straightforward but satisfying, with enough info via the readables to keep me pointed in the right direction. The only actual glitch I came across was when

I blundered into the main entrance hall and got spotted by the guard behind the desk - he came into the corridor on low alert, couldn't find me and then sat back down. In the corridor. In mid air. :)

Momentarily felt like I had come to a dead end in the sewers but once I realised I could

climb those pipes

I was away!

I'm now in the city and unfortunately I'm finding it harder to keep motivated - I have no idea where I'm meant to be going and I feel like I've gone around the whole area and all I've found so far is

a balcony I could climb up to

but all there was just a bottle to get, and that was it. (I have a feeling I need to find some rope arrows - if I was meant to pick some up in the station, am I now stuffed? :unsure: ) I

I'll keep at it - if I still can't find anything I'll read the reply to rustmite's post above :) and see if that helps.

post-9265-0-37108100-1347201141_thumb.jpg

Thanks ST - I found the stash pretty easily once I went back into the mission

I had just missed that little side turning

and I've just finished it.

Voted Good/Average/Good - voted average for gameplay only because of the city area - even though it was pretty huge, it felt like there wasn't much to do except wander around rather aimlessly until I blundered across something. The police station area was much better in terms of gameplay - just think the city area could have done with more 'focus'. However, like Melan, even though the city layout was a bit rectangular, I thought you had put a good level of detail in and made it look good.

So overall a good piece of work and a (mostly) enjoyable 2 hours & 45 minutes of gameplay. Many thanks!

Well, when i played it first time the night it came out, it was about 3 am and I was drunk with a friend, therefore sry. ;)

I gave it another try this day and i found everything.

When we played it first time we went all the way through the prison, the guards and ofc the upper area with the lonly guard, but we missed that one door where the evidence room was behind (we thought we have checked every door). So with nothing to do anymore we went through the sewers (no way back from here), into the town, where we could do nothing because of the lack of equipment.

But i today i found it out and played it through, although finding out who framed me was a bit hard too. ;)

There are btw two barrels in the street where the horse is, which are cutting into the wall.

Edited by jysk

A great Mission ! But i stuck in the City. After a few minutes the screen becomes almost black; except the sky and the lanterns (but this objects don't emit light. Quickload helps for a minute, then again: nothing to see.

I use Win7 32 Bit and GeForce GTX 460/PCIe/SSE2/3DNOW!

Driver is actual.

The Prison-Part was ok. This bug appear only in the city.

A great Mission ! But i stuck in the City. After a few minutes the screen becomes almost black; except the sky and the lanterns (but this objects don't emit light. Quickload helps for a minute, then again: nothing to see.

I use Win7 32 Bit and GeForce GTX 460/PCIe/SSE2/3DNOW!

Driver is actual.

The Prison-Part was ok. This bug appear only in the city.

This exact same thing just happened to me. All the buildings and road are pitch black, but the sky and lanterns are OK. I am running Win7-64 bit, TDM 1.07, Nvid GTX 560 Ti.

Never have seen anything like this ever happen, I went through most of the mission, only have 2 objectives left.

Seems isolated to this mission.

Edited by rustmite

CycloManiac!

This exact same thing just happened to me. All the buildings and road are pitch black, but the sky and lanterns are OK. Seems isolated to this mission.

Have you tried changing the advanced setting under video settings, changing these will remove the pitch-black bug most of the time. I had this with others missions, so its not just this one as loads of people have played it and not had this issue.

Also what gfx card have you got..? and are you running driver default settings..?

Thank you Sir T , very good fun and nice to see a new mission after so long. Encountered a few minor bugs en route , for example

after I escaped from the sewers and up through the well , I encountered two hammers who must have been aroused by my moving around the area. However they got glued to the metal surrounding fence whilst I was on the other side. Easy to shoot them through the fence and move on though! And stealing loot from one house , where the table was set for a meal with many plates , when I tried to pick them up some disappeared through the table,

Thanks again for your excellent effort.