The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Vengeance for a Thief Part 1 by Sir Taffsalot (06/09/2012)

Sir Taffsalot

33 members have voted

1. 1. Appearance

• Poor
    • Could be better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent
  2. 2. Gameplay

• Poor
    • Could be better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent
  3. 3. Story

• Poor
    • Could be better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate all feedback even criticism. So no need for any apologies. I'm still proud of this FM despite it's flaws and judging by the votes it seems to be a healthy 4 out of 5 which I'm very pleased with. I will endeavor to make sure that part 2 proves part 1 to be the case.

I actually did a load of work city section, as it was even further spaced out than it currently is. But to my own chagrin I should have made a point of rebuilding the city section when I had the chance, but as much as I like helping people improve their maps there is only so much of my personal time and motivation I can put aside. ST has learned from everything I had fixed and showed him so p2 should be much better.

And regarding helping people, I am working with Moonbo on his mission and I am keen to make sure he dosen't make the usual "new mapper" mistakes. And regarding part 2, if ST requires my help I will make sure any of the usual suspects are quashed :-D

• 8 months later...

I'm not very good at writing reviews so I've decided to write a favorite thing/memorable moment about the mission and then a suggestion.

Memorable moment: I really enjoyed reading Eustice's Journal. A good story that was very well written.

Suggestion: A prequel perhaps? I think it would be fun to actually steal the Angel's Tear.

Good work Sir Taffsalot! Now I'll go back to playing Part 2 :D

Edited by SirGen

Suggestion: A prequel perhaps? I think it would be fun to actually steal the Angel's Tear.

That is the plan. I have the layout of the manor down on paper. I probably wont start work on it until next year though. I need a break from DR after working on VFAT2 for 8 months.

• Like 1

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

• 1 month later...

There is a chance that you do have to go back to the city watch station to complete the loot objective and you can't do it. This is bad level design on my part. V sorry! Here's a work around:

Bring down the Doom 3 console. To do this press these 3 buttons at once " `, Ctrl and Alt". Once this is done type "noclip" and press return. Get rid of the doom 3 console by pressing the same three buttons again. You can now move in any direction of the map by pressing your arrow keys. Just try to stay in the map. If you go outside your computer might crash to a halt. To get out of no clip just do the same again.

FYI I'm going to make the final part of the Vengeance campaign this year and I intend to release all 3 parts together. One of the reasons being so I can make it so that you can get back to the city watch station from the City in Part 1. Once again, V sorry about this.

The Joker

• 4 weeks later...

Is this a one off or does it keep on happening? I haven't encountered this before. I don't know what to suggest.

I actually didn't try again but will as I remembered the

balcony issue - it was like that

on a previous play through which worked when I went back to it. Will let you know.

Finally got a chance to go back and try this and I am still having crashes as soon as I get by the

horse and cart

. I tried restarting from different previous saves with the same results. I don't see anyone else having had this problem recently so I will just leave it unplayed. At least I got through the first time (albeit with some difficulties then also). Sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

Just played this through, very enjoyable with reservations.

• As you can't get back into the jail once you leave there's a bit of a conundrum. Do you leave the player in a position where he can't complete (didn't get enough loot, or didn't complete an objective), or do you check for this and fail the mission right away. Neither option is good, so I'd suggest some workaround, maybe as simple as a wooden beam just below the hole so we can get back in if necessary with a rope arrow.
  • I enjoyed ghosting this. Getting past the first stationary hammer sentry on the outside was interestingly difficult, I was only able to get past him by carefully placing the pillar between us -- I've not seen this challenge in another mission, quite interesting. Was also intrigued to find another guard on a corner I couldn't get past at all, just as well I could go around.
  • Everything up in balconies, each balcony leading to one room. Disappointing, as others have said.
  • I was surprised how tight the loot goal was (on difficult), particularly compared with some other missions, but forced me to climb some more balconies.
  • I liked the challenge of climbing well lit balconies in the middle of the patrol. I ended up having to take quite a bit of injury from trying not to leave too many ropes behind (couldn't take them all down, think I would have died!)
  • Loved the fan-fic, definitely made me laugh.
  • I agree with others, the scale was ... strange.

Looking forward to trying part 2 now.

Edit: Alas, not enjoying part 2. It's got the faults of part 1 in spades: huge open spaces with little or nothing of interest, and *so* much bright light.

Edited by Araneidae

• 1 month later...

Playing through again - ghosting this time - and found a couple minor glitches

In the room with the gold plates on the table there is a wrong shadow which moves with the player but doesn't show the correct image

post-8491-0-50520400-1393282367_thumb.jpg

This guard was stuck

post-8491-0-01665100-1393344267_thumb.jpg

Edited by Oldjim

Thanks for pointing that out Oldjim. I'm going to do one more part for this campaign (A manor heist where you steal the Angel's Tear) and when I release it I will re-release this installment with bug fixes (I'll comb this thread) and added content (a way to get back from the city to the City Watch station and I'll create the inside of the cathedral). Hopefully at some point this year. Thank you for taking the time to play my work.

The Joker