The Dark Mod Forums

skipping frames in some missions

Guest john

Hi

In some Missions at certain places suddenly moving (and looking around with camera) is very choppy. Frames are skipped. But the FPS is always at 63-64.

timedemo demo1 shows this fps: 149

I don't think, that my system is too weak.

Two Missions as example:

"Alberic's Curse" : The problem appears in the Cathedral.

"A Score to settle" : Especially in the basement of the gangs house.

I have to save via quicksave and reload: Then it is ok for a few minutes.

My System:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor (3415.74 MHz)

RAM: 4 GB

Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

GeForce GTX 460/PCIe/SSE2/3DNOW!

Hmmm, your system is more the capable of playing TDM on high settings. Ok can you do the following so we can rule out these out -

1. delete your doomconfig.config file - this file has been known to corrupt for no apparent reason we know of.

2. download driver sweeper

3. uninstall the nVidia driver and reboot.

4. run driver sweeper to remove any last remaining driver remnants and reboot.

5. install the latest driver and reboot

6. don't change any of the settings in the nVidia control panel, leave all as default.

7. run tdm, reconfigure your settings (these will have been nuked when the config file was deleted etc) and then see if the issue you were having is gone.

I never seen anything like that in the dark mod.

Make sure that your cpu and gpu are not downclocking (due to overheating or power saving ("AMD Cool 'n' Quiet").

I suggest getting a good cpu cooler and overclocking that Phenom x4 to 4GHz (assuming your motherboard and power supply can handle it).

In nvidia control panel, in 3D settings, choose "power management mode = prefer maximum performance".

If none of that helps, try this:

Look at cpu usage in windows task manager while playing.

consider making a screen shot and upload it here.

Install MSI afterburner or EVGA precision.

Look at gpu usage while playing. consider making a screen shot and upload it here.

Edited by Partol

Thanks for the answers.

Overclocking is the last thing i would try. Only if no other methods are successful.

What i found: I played tdm in windowed-mode (because i want to be able to switch to the desktop: But this works in fullscreen-mode only one time. After this tdm-screen comes immediately back to front after releasing the "switch-key").

In Fullscreen-mode it seems to be ok. At some locations moving is choppy; but often mission-authors warn about this in their mission describing. So this probably has nothing to do with my issue here.

I will test for a time with fullscreen-mode and i will report the result here. Maybe it is important for other players too.

Maybe it depends on the system. I will see. As i tested in fullscreen yesterday it runs well.

btw: I was wrong as i named "Alberic's Curse". The right Mission is "Let Sleeping Thieves lie".

The problem occur in the Cathedral.

(where one find the holy symbol)

My video shows the worst situation that i saw in tdm till now. Normally the problem is

less distinctive than in the video.

My settings:

Antialiasing: 2x

Anisotropie : 1x

VSync: No

1024*768

In Advanced: all at maximum

Thanks for the tip with "prefer maximum performance" in the nvidia control panel.

I really didn't saw this switch ;-)

It runs better with no-limited power.

As far i can say now: My problem has to do with windowed-mode.

In Fullscreen the game runs smooth. In windowed-mode at the described places it becomes more

and more choppy.

But it needs time to test accurately. I hope, that i am able to test it this weekend.

(It needs time because the effect depends on things, i have no clue about.

Sometimes the problem shows up quickly, sometimes it occurs later.)

But i can say: When i am playing, i don't run many programs; especially no programs with

heavy cpu/Memory-usage.

I strongly believe your GTX 460 is downclocking in windowed mode.

1024*768 is low resolution and, sometimes, maybe when you look up?, your GTX 460 will downclock.

The solution is to increase resolution or increase antialiasing or anisotropy or increase LOD.

Same thing happens with my GTX 580 when I play Thief 1 and 2.

The gpu often downclocks in game and sometimes there is a little stuttering (non-steady fps).

To be honest, your stuttering is much worse than I've ever seen.

At 1024x768, a GTX 460 can easily run 8x or 16x antialiasing and 8x or 16x anisotropy in the dark mod.

I recommend uninstalling or turning off whatever program you currently use to see fps (fraps?)

Use msi afterburner or evga precision. It shows a lot more data.

I use the on-screen display in afterburner.

It shows me: gpu temperature, gpu usage, fan speed, gpu clock, vram usage, and frame rate

When my gpu downclocks, I immediately know.

This is what I see when I play the Dark Mod at 1920x1080 8x Antialiasing 8x Texture Anisotropy LOD=very high

dark_mod_gpu_stats.jpg

Edited by Partol

In Advanced: all at maximum

Change this to default/normal, enhanced is going to be removed at some point as it dosent really improve the view all that much as is just a perf hog

I strongly believe your GTX 460 is downclocking in windowed mode.

if that is the case then download riva tuner (or any other overclocking tools for nvidia cards), and force the card into 3D clock and see how you go.

it dosent really improve the view

It does in 1.07. It's 1.08 that removes the difference.