The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Deceptive Shadows by Shadowhide (16/Sep/12)

demagogue

Fan Mission: Deceptive Shadows by Shadowhide (16/Sep/12)  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

Ok, so I guess I'll go to the thread where I actually can talk to SH about his mission but here I'll give a short note, that no matter how hard some of you might try to say that this mission isn't very good, they can suck on it because it's probably top 5 IMHO. ;P

ShadowHide creates his very very own world, puts emphasis on atmosphere and tries to tell the story without any cheap tricks. This was much better told then Winter Harvest, because you knew what, where and why. Of course it is not a perfect mission because of the exploration. I thought at least twice about stopping the game because I went three times through all rooms and didn't find what I was looking for(instead I found all the loot).

Aside from that it was very classy and immersive mission. I do hope that shadowhide will come up with continuation because each time he gets better and next mission might top all others. That's all from me here.

I've reached an impasse:

I got the Holy Hammer, put it on the statue, opened the door to the library, and read the scroll about placing a bone on the alter. I think the alter is on the bottom level, with the flowers. I don't know what to do now. I can't find any bone in any room in the entire FM, and there was nothing else I found in the library room. So I'm stuck at this point.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I imagine it's because the key literally frobs not the door but the "lockbox" on the wall beside it, but yeah it confused me for a little while too.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

@ demagogue

search for a way to get from the lower floor to the mid floor

Edited by Obsttorte

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Yes, I'm past that part.... I'm stuck at a later part.

I climbed the lower-level hole to get to the 2nd level locked room, got the Holy Hammer, put it on the statute, it opens up a library-like room, inside is instructions to put a bone on an alter. I see nothing else in that room, and no bone to put on an alter. Now what? (Also some business with the mysterious key that I got...)

Unless you're talking about *another* path from the lower level to the mid-level?

Edit: After looking at the TTLG thread...

I read about Clement's key. I don't have that yet. Where is it? I'm not seeing it on any of the AI. I already have the mysterious key which apparently unlocks something there.

Edit: Ok I found the answer.

I missed the secret lever in the library room.

Ok, so I guess I'll go to the thread where I actually can talk to SH about his mission but here I'll give a short note, that no matter how hard some of you might try to say that this mission isn't very good, they can suck on it because it's probably top 5 IMHO. ;P

ShadowHide creates his very very own world, puts emphasis on atmosphere and tries to tell the story without any cheap tricks. This was much better told then Winter Harvest, because you knew what, where and why. Of course it is not a perfect mission because of the exploration. I thought at least twice about stopping the game because I went three times through all rooms and didn't find what I was looking for(instead I found all the loot).

Aside from that it was very classy and immersive mission. I do hope that shadowhide will come up with continuation because each time he gets better and next mission might top all others. That's all from me here.

Agree. Though for me it's not a " very very own world", but a good introduction to the long-awaited paganism in TDM.

No I'm afraid I only see blank pages when clicking around on your redit links and articles :(

I uploaded them to my personal moddb profile as well.

http://www.moddb.com/members/nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Started playing this.

Very well done (so far).

Apart from some texture issues and grammar/spelling issues (i.e. "holly hammer"), my only negative comment is the extremely loud player voice. I have to turn my sound way way down so as not to get knocked out of my seat when that thing goes off. This practically takes auditory cues out of the game; the background music is hardly there, lock picking is tougher, and the barks are muted. But I don't dare turn the sound back up, for fear of encountering one of the surprise player comments.

Architecture and lighting is great (though I had to turn my gamma and brightness way up to see my way around, a problem I haven't had in any other map to date).

I haven't read any of the spoilers upthread, and haven't run into any puzzles I couldn't figure out quickly.

All in all, I'm enjoying this. I just wish I could turn the sound back up.

Oh, and from a packaging perspective, the *.map and related files are duplicated inside the particles folder, and shouldn't be. This is just extra baggage for the download to deal with.

And the map came with a savegame which appears to be left over from someone else's session. That should also be tossed.

I must be missing something I haven't found any rope arrows and I have only found one bale and two boxes but

I can't manage to climb up through the hole from the basement to the next level I tried piling them on the floor and on the bed but I still couldn't mantle up to the next floor

Forget it - what a flaming silly place to put a rope arrow

Edited by Oldjim

I've given up playing this one. Nice visuals , fun gameplay but..... This is the first mission I've played where it's frozen my computer three times in the space of five minutes. Once picking up a candlestick , another shooting an arrow at a hammer priest , anothe mantleling onto a statue. Each time I've not been able to get out by noclipping and my mouse has frozen.I've had to resort to turning off the computer at the mains and going in on safe mode to correct a few things. Sorry SH you'll have to do better for me .Just when I was beginning to get into it too.Grrrrrrrrrrrr.Will await a better made mission.

Edited by raymeld

All in all, I'm enjoying this. I just wish I could turn the sound back up.

+1. Visually, it's one of the most atmospheric missions I've played - so much so that I don't even mind that it's a bit of a

key hunt

- getting the sound levels adjusted would make the atmosphere even better. Pretty sure I've knocked everyone out (yes, I know, but I thought I had got everyone earlier and then a guard appeared from nowhere) but even so, some sounds are still LOUD - the pagan-light in the basement has made me jump a couple of times when it's got too close, and when I

picked up the crate

in the dining area, there was a sudden and unnervingly loud, er, roar? Growl? Dunno what it was but it was freaky.

Climbing up that hole from the basement was tricky but I found

a bale and a crate on the bed

did it. Wasn't easy, but, hey, I like a mantling challenge, which is why I was SO PLEASED to get up here:

post-9265-0-07600400-1348096859_thumb.jpg

and, yes, I did find the little reward for doing it.

I dunno, maybe the gameplay will suddenly totally nosedive and I'll want to throw my laptop through the window, but for now, I'm happy exploring.

As far as appearance and atmosphere goes this is very impressive. However due to the key hunt nature of this FM I am not enjoying myself. Hunting keys and searching everywhere for hidden switches are just not my thing. This is more my personal preference and less of a criticism. As a result I have no desire to complete this FM. Perhaps I will give it a second go some other time. Until I complete it I will refrain from voting.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Sort of unfortunate in the sense that a lot of the best stuff comes at the end too, but that's just the way he designed it.

Has out of interest anyone else experienced the issues I've had with freezing in my post 44 above by the way? It sort of reminds me of the way fan missions for Thief 2 used to freeze on a two processor machine under Windows 7 unless you shut down one of the processors. Very strange , and impossible to complete the mission as it's doing this.Especially as I've had no such problems with any other missions and I've replayed a few of the older ones lately too. When I say freeze I mean freeze not slowing down of the scenes.Maybe a good time to stop anyway as I'm moving house soon and need to pack the main computers up leaving me with just an old laptop!