The Dark Mod Forums

building under Mac OS X?

malex984

I have been wanting play TDM on OS X for quite a while and when I finally have time too the TDM update breaks mac support. Anyways, I downloaded malex's TDM.app and am currently testing/playing it. I'll report back on my experiences, issues and bugs I come across.

My setup:

System Version: OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)

Kernel Version: Darwin 12.2.0

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 3 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07

So I played the tutorial for a while. Everything seemed to work alright. A little slow and laggy at times but I haven't played with any settings very much, just the resolution a little. When using the "Restart Game" button in 'Settings' the game does not restart. Attached are outputs from terminal when running gdb.sh using both the Debug and Release version of TDB.app that I got from malex's myDrive link. Both of these show what happens when using the "Restart Button". The game seems to exit normally when using the "Quit" button.

So far, so good and thanks to everyone who has worked on this game. I will like to contribute as a tester or more. Hopefully people will continue checking this thread and are still interested in working on TDM 1.08 for OS X.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l5rd1etxq6fy448/NNy4Qb6PP0 (Terminal Output)

If I read the specifications correctly you have an nVidia 8600M (GPU) with 128MB of RAM.

I think that's pretty fairly near the minimum specification to run the mod (as I recall the 8600M was essentially

a rebadged 7600?)

Can you confirm the GPU model or provide a more specific year when the model introduced?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Oops guess i forgot to include the video card info, my bad. I actually want to say I have 256 mb of ram but I'm not near my laptop and I can't remember. I'll post the full specs tomorrow. I was playing around with some config stuff and got it to run more smoothly though I don't have the settings here with me. The MacBook Pro 3,1 came out mid 2007, it is a bit dated, though I think my laptop should be able to play the game sufficiently, not with the highest graphics but mid range.

Hopefully here in the next couple days I can provide more quantative testing info. Try out different levels, settings etc. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas they would like me to try/test let me know.

OK that's an alright configuration. One thing that you may need to do is used the downsize cvars as something

is causing more RAM usage with TDM's GPL build of Doom 3 compared to Doom 3 vanilla.

Try these cvars in your Darkmod.cfg

seta com_videoRam "256"

seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "128"

seta image_downSizeBump "1"

(See thread):

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/14252-solved-malloc-failure-upon-starting-any-new-game/

Please test out Reap as you Sow, The Transaction, and Mandrasola which have a fair amount of custom scripting and see

if these run properly.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - Mac user here volunteering to test builds (assuming I have the time).

I've just tried downloading the malex build but I get errors when unarchiving "unknown data format", using "The Unarchiver" - any suggestions?

I updated "The Unarchiver" to the latest version and I could successfully unarchive the files now. Weird.

Ok, so I'm now having a problem running the mod (doom runs just fine):

165 [generic_user@darkmod]$ ./gdb.sh

GNU gdb 6.3.50-20050815 (Apple version gdb-1820) (Sat Jun 16 02:40:11 UTC 2012)

Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are

welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.

Type "show copying" to see the conditions.

There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.

This GDB was configured as "x86_64-apple-darwin"...Reading symbols for shared libraries ........... done

warning: Could not find object file "/Volumes/SNOW2/src/TDM/macosx/libjpeg.a(jcparam.o)" - no debug information available for "/Volumes/SNOW2/src/TDM/sys/osx/../../lib/libjpeg/jcparam.c".

then a load of errors like this where it's looking for files in a phantom volume "SNOW2" which I'm sure isn't mounted.

Caveat: I had to do some juggling of files to get them into the structure you want:

~/Library/Application\ Support/Doom\ 3/{Doom\ 3.app,base,darkmod}

but since the app is self-contained, everything still works for Doom 3 itself.

Edited by Shippy

TDM just sits there bouncing in the dock for a while, then it stops and when I click it it disappears.

From the log:

Monday 11/03/2013 00:31:05.608 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0x117117].com.idsoftware.doom3[5344]) posix_spawn("/Users/szczypka/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/TDM.app/Contents/MacOS/Doom 3", ...): Permission denied

Monday 11/03/2013 00:31:05.608 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0x117117].com.idsoftware.doom3[5344]) Exited with code: 1

Monday 11/03/2013 00:31:05.610 Dock: no information back from LS about running process

Monday 11/03/2013 00:32:34.610 [0x0-0x10f10f].org.mozilla.firefox: NOTE: child process received `Goodbye', closing down

I now manually check the permissions of "/Users/genericUser/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/TDM.app/Contents/MacOS/Doom 3" and it's not executable so I 755 it and I can now launch the mod - yay!

Console log of launching then immediately quitting the mod: http://pastebin.com/P7am2qML

When I then try to load a mission (the default two are listed), it tells me that it needs to install it and that it will relaunch.

Manually relaunching allows me to start "Tears of St Lucia" only, and the Training Mission always asks to be installed.

Tears of St. Lucia runs reasonably well, aside for a fair few graphical glitches with textures and particles (?) coming from the street lamps, however I only played it for a few minutes as it's late here I've got work early tomorrow.

This may be a map bug. Will other scrolls work, is it just one scroll that causes this?

I know there exists a mapper bug which locks hud like this. IIRC it is because the mapper used a name for the readable that was already used.

EDIT; Ninja'd by SH! ;)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Try opening the console and typing "tdm_updateCookedMathData 1"

Yeah, I tried that - no dice.

I wonder if it's somehow picking using the wrong graphics card, my mac has both:

AMD Radeon HD 6750M

Intel HD Graphics 3000

Well I can start testing TDM under OSX as I have just come into possession of a old gen1 macbook air. The specs are utter pants (C2D 1.6, 2GB DDR2, Intel X3100) but it should suffice for TDM testing.

So later this week I will follow the updated wiki guide on installing TDM and see how I go..

I've been playing about with the console a little and can confirm that the game is using the correct gfx card and that I can crash it be asking it to reloadSurface whilst looking directly at a missing texture.

I'm still having problems (even after a clean install) with missing textures and the shading on surfaces. If there's any way I can debug more, then please tell me, pm's welcome.

I've uploaded a screenshot of Doom3 (3Mb file!): http://www.dropbox.com/sh/wa73cs976muiat5/NxOv0bi0Ln/tdm_screens/doom3_screenshot.tga

Doom3 itself plays just fine, so my machine is obviously capable, but for some reason it doesn't look as nice as the videos I see on youtube.

I'm happy to attempt to build the mod myself to see if I can work out what's up, I just need some help on how to get started.

Edited by Shippy