The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 2 fan patch - V1.19

brethren

I'm a bit morbidly curious how many people will start mega-projects now which never get completed due to the lack of clear boundaries.

Yeah, I wonder what would've happened to Black Frog (etc) if this had been released while it was still in-progress. Would Thief fans still

be waiting for it a few years from now even?

A beauty contest should be pretty interesting though...

Too bad it's still using baked lighting, the higher poly cap could've meant new assets would be share-able between Thief and TDM... Might still be possible

with a little tweaking depending on the object (remove directional shading, add normal map, etc)...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I think DDfix need an upgrade to work with 1.19, since 1.19 exe is totally new.

As I said, the next step is *integrate* DDFix features in a future 1.20 patch.

Or so I hope.

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I think DDfix need an upgrade to work with 1.19, since 1.19 exe is totally new.

As I said, the next step is *integrate* DDFix features in a future 1.20 patch.

Or so I hope.

Why would the new executable need to have DDFix? I thought one of the bonuses of this 1.19 patch was that it made DDFix and other such patches obsolete.

It does, there are folks in ttlg saying it's a option on the config file.

Frankly i think this patch is likely to *be* a integrated ddfix. My paronoia says members of the ddfix 'team' probably worked on this (not to mention someone who knows dromed inside out, just to pinpoint those bugs).

Edited by i30817

Too bad it's still using baked lighting,

The baked lighting is part of its character, and it does look good, so I'm happy that it's still part of it.

I can probably bet who worked on this, and I know just the thread you could go to to get a good idea, but they're probably happy staying out of the limelight and just letting people enjoy their work while they kick back satisfied with a job well done and not sweat the legal stuff...So I'm happy to let them stay anonymous.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I hope there will be a patch for Thief 1, too.

Looks like the same patch works for Thief 1, settings just need to be adjusted a bit.

Huh. I tried this on Thief Gold.

Did the basic stuff. Lo and behold, it works!

So I renamed Thief2.exe to Thief.exe

Lo and behold, it works!!! joker.gif

Someone also has regular T1 working.

Edited by jaxa

People are saying this patch works for Thief 1 too, though you might have to tweak some settings. They're talking about it in the TTLG thread, so look it up there.

Edit: I must have had this page up for a while not to see jaxa's post!

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

People are saying this patch works for Thief 1 too, though you might have to tweak some settings. They're talking about it in the TTLG thread, so look it up there.

I tried it with Thief 1 1.33 and it works. (You don't have to delete ddfix beforehand.) Here is a short instruction, so you don't have to seek it out:

Copy all the files from contrib and new_dark to your Thief folder, like you did for Thief 2.

Rename Thief2_119.exe to thief.exe (just in case...)

Open: new_dark\doc\T1.7z from the Patchfiles.

Copy the INTRFACE.CRF from the 7z file to: Thief\newinterface

Open Thief\cam_mod.ini and add "mod_path INTRFACE+.\newinterface" as last line. (without quotes)

Open Thief\cam_ext.cfg and just add "dark1" as a line to it. (without quotes)

Start the game and a mission for testing.

Btw.: Is there a way to active EAX for an onboard soundcard?

Edit: Ah, solved... (uncomment snd_oal_device Generic Software in cam_ext.cfg.)

Edited by Radiant

I think the 1.19 patch does not offer Bloom?

It offers bloom (via config file), but settings are different!

So a new "fine tuning" is required!

But it's really a big step forward for T2 community.

It's simply amazing to have T2 running in DX9.

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I tried it with Thief 1 1.33 and it works. (You don't have to delete ddfix beforehand.) Here is a short instruction, so you don't have to seek it out:

Copy all the files from contrib and new_dark to your Thief folder, like you did for Thief 2.

Rename Thief2_119.exe to thief.exe (just in case...)

Open: new_dark\doc\T1.7z from the Patchfiles.

Copy the INTRFACE.CRF from the 7z file to: Thief\newinterface

Open Thief\cam_mod.ini and add "mod_path INTRFACE+.\newinterface" as last line. (without quotes)

Open Thief\cam_ext.cfg and just add "dark1" as a line to it. (without quotes)

Start the game and a mission for testing.

Btw.: Is there a way to active EAX for an onboard soundcard?

Edit: Ah, solved... (uncomment snd_oal_device Generic Software in cam_ext.cfg.)

Fabolous :|

Edited by lowenz

Sooo.....

**brain churns slowly**

I install T2 and apply this patch, and the original game will look better - ??? If so, how the heck did they get that to happen? (Rhetorical question; wouldn't understand answer.)

Genuinely interested as I'm wondering if it would resolve the motion sickness I used to get with T1/T2 (which I've mentioned in another post).

Yes, all signs point to:

"The authors of DDFix and several TTLG cohorts labored away in secret to create this patch after the source code was leaked.

Then they had an outside friend "release" the patch on a foreign website where it would be hard to track the source."

That's what I would assume given the bluster of source code investigation then the quick decline into silence over at TTLG.

If I were wearing my paranoid hat I would say that this was done by Eidos themselves to ramp-up Thief publicity while they

struggle to bring Thief 4 out of development hell. I think I even saw a Dark Mod video on the "Thief Official" youtube channel

the other day ...

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBAAFC589651A82FB&feature=plcp

yep...

(Pretty sure that it's part of their marketing... )

So I have this weird feeling that maybe the "new boss" is not the "same as the old boss" in a good way...

Who knows?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yes, all signs point to:

"The authors of DDFix and several TTLG cohorts labored away in secret to create this patch after the source code was leaked.

Then they had an outside friend "release" the patch on a foreign website where it would be hard to track the source."

Where is that quote from?