The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 2 fan patch - V1.19

brethren

Actually, they already do notice weapons lying around, or arrows stuck into things. I forgot to mention that.

Well, so TDM fullfills all my taffin' desires :D

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I agree that a lot of players probably play FMs for exploration, with just enough threat from AI that they have to still deal with being stealthy, but not that hardcore. (It'd kill the game if there were no need for stealth at all.) I think there's even something ritualistic about it, where it's as much about going through the experience for the accomplishment as actually playing a game. But anyway, I don't think there's that much difference. If you're not careful in T2 you'll be running from guards too, and when I replay it I remember that it's not that much of a cakewalk.

And on the other side of the coin, I think a lot of dealing with TDM's AI is just recognizing how they behave, and there's a learning curve there. But once you catch on you can deal with them better and it's more fun. I think even the ritualistic players could get into TDM too, if they spent the time getting to know our AI's patterns. I've gotten better at dealing with TDM AI over time.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Hm.. So *this* is the reason why people want to make those unfocused missions with lots of unnecessary areas and objectives like "wander around without a map and try to figure out what to do."

I'm not gonna argue against it as it is simply a matter of taste, of course, but... God I wish we had more task oriented missions with possibility of choosing the way how to proceed, with interesting challenges.

Wasn't this what original thief missions was all about? Garrett had it all planned out. Maps, equipment. It was about getting in, getting the job done and getting out. Interesting, meaningful, fun.

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Strange as it sounds, I actually think most diehard Thief fans who are still playing the game don't play for the stealth challenge at all. I think most play for the exploration and puzzle solving aspects of Thief FMs. This is why the majority have not latched on to TDM yet, it's one or two steps higher on the stealth difficulty curve and they don't enjoy it. Kind of a strange scenario for the the title that started stealth gaming, but I think it's true.

Thats exactly why I play T2 fms.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Interesting points all around - I think this might be why Eshaktaar's Broken Triad is so popular (and probably my favorite FM of all time). The first mission is pretty much as Sotha describes, clear cut objectives and defined tasks (granted, with quite a few big twists) and a significant number of AI to avoid in somewhat tight quarters. The second mission is a large, open, lost city style FM with hardly any AI where you basically have to wing it and figure everything out.for yourself and just let the story unfold.

Two styles in one. My impression is that TDM could use more of the latter, although it's hard to do unless you have the previous mission to set it up.

• 5 months later...

Why do they do all this mysterious hidden french .. show? A nice changelog in english with screenies and videos and some advertisement for everyone to see would be the way to go for me! :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Why should Eidos care about a fan patch for a ten years old game?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Either that or it's being done by Eidos insiders themselves.

T4 is being worked on by a French-speaking team.

But I honestly think it's by a TTLG team & they're being sneaky...

Well a member might be French and taking care of the releases.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

What a funny thought. So they are going to make a new bad game and furthermore update the old good game.

I've heard that many of the old Looking Glass staff also worked on T3. I guess some of them are left for Thief 4 :unsure:

If so, this may be an evil plan to let T1 and T2 keep it's role as the best stealth games forever. :ph34r:

What a funny thought. So they are going to make a new bad game and furthermore update the old good game.

Update the old game? What do you mean?

I've heard that many of the old Looking Glass staff also worked on T3. I guess some of them are left for Thief 4 :unsure:

Nope, T4 is being made by Eidos Montreal. Word is that there are no original developers working on this project. It's a completely new team.

As for T3, there were a good number of Looking Glass members working on it in the beginning, but the majority of them left pretty early in development due to a number of issues at the studio.

I've meant improve. That's what a patch, beneath some bugfixes, is for, isn't it?

As for T3, there were a good number of Looking Glass members working on it in the beginning, but the majority of them left pretty early in development due to a number of issues at the studio.

That's sad. Would be interresting to know what they are working on now, if they. (Maybe this is something everybody allready know and I'm the only one who missed that :D ).

He's talking about my joking suggestion that Eidos people themselves, or rogue members on the sly, were involved in the T2 Newdark patch because the T4 team is French speaking, but there are so many reasons that can't actually be true ... just reading the documentation & code comments for one, not to mention they sat on (& still sit on) the source, so how much less would they touch this.

The new newdark dromed has a feature that looks like it might be a good idea in darkradiant:

http://www.ttlg.com/...l=1#post2171273

Interesting. I had just started using a blueprint source for some buildings too. It would be a nice addition.

I've meant improve. That's what a patch, beneath some bugfixes, is for, isn't it?

Yes, but Eidos Montreal isn't providing the updates. They're fan produced.

That's sad. Would be interresting to know what they are working on now, if they. (Maybe this is something everybody allready know and I'm the only one who missed that :D ).

They're spread out all over the place. :) I think some still work at Irrational.

I really liked the idea that some of the old developers from Thief 1 and 2 are secretly working on the New Dark Patches! Just imagine they would all gather at kickstarter for crowd funding a new cool and original Thief game! :o

I wonder if they had any idea what a legacy they would create in the gaming industry while they were making T1.

Oh I wish they had! I watched the video when they closed LGS so often. You know that one where everybody takes part in "The Movie" ;)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

• 2 weeks later...

Granted these guys plan to continue with the patches, I really hope they don't get too confident and end up revealing themselves. Even if Eidos claims they want to cooperate or green lights it themselves in an official statement, they can always "change their minds" (in fact, I vaguely remember something similar happening a few times). The presence of Thief 4 means the suits are all the more likely to try and bring down the hammer, and if not the current lot of suits, then perhaps the next in line from the "general sifting of the most morally reprehensible individuals to the top" process. Yes, it's unreasonable for them to care about such a thing, but it's perfectly reasonable to think that they would based on lots and lots of history.

I haven't played the Thief II patch and as far as I can see it and The Dark Mod (TDM) don't clash at all.

Playing Thief II with better graphics etc., sounds great as I thoroughly enjoyed the original . But it'll have to wait until I've played the 60 plus mods and counting, that are playable now with TDM.

Unofficial means not opposed or endorsed by the owners of the games.

Legal means they are using assets that they produced themselves or have permission to be included in the game and are not ripping anyone off or breaking copyrights.