The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 2 fan patch - V1.19

brethren

I suggested in the TTLG thread that they ought to contact Eidos through an ombudsman, an independent & trust-worthy third party, under a condition of secrecy, so there can be back & forth and Eidos can sanction it, and they're "talking to" each other, but if push comes to shove their identities will be kept secret.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Well it is not like they haven't tried to talk to Eidos back when the first sourcecode surfaced and was given to Eidos, but then Eidos didn't do squad.

They ignored requests and played deaf. So I really doubt that Eidos is open for negotiations.

Well it is not like they haven't tried to talk to Eidos back when the first sourcecode surfaced and was given to Eidos, but then Eidos didn't do squad.

They ignored requests and played deaf. So I really doubt that Eidos is open for negotiations.

Plus they 'misplaced' the source after it was given to them.

All true. The possible difference here is that the patch forces the issue a bit, since it unmistakably improves the game and has fans clammoring for it. What I thought they might negotiate wasn't the release of the sourcecode -- I don't know if their lawyers would let them even if they wanted to -- but I thought they might at least be able to sanction the patches themselves.

The patches still require people to have the game independently, so they might be on different legal footing than the sourcecode, nevermind they had to use the sourcecode itself to make them. Anyway, they've already reached out to us because of the patches, so it could be a step in the right direction at least.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 3 weeks later...

Wouldn't it be cool if T2 and TDM were made complaint for the occulus rift, and then the rift got pared down to a pair of goggles and earphones, and you could get the whole thing to run on something Android sized? I could just imagine keeping it in your pocket, putting it out, and having a wire going up to your goggles to play anywhere, anytime, and be totally immersed in that world.

NewDark helps with compatibility with Win7 64bit, yes.

(Not sure about Linux, but it probably helps it run on an emulator.)

If you're curious, you should try it.

I mean it's still the classic T2 game... It's not like a new game. But there's just a lot of perks. Mantling is easier, textures can be a lot more highres, the number of polys available bumped way up, object limit bumped way up... A few old FMs can show it off, but it's the new FMs made specifically with NewDark that really show it off.

• 2 weeks later...

the 1.21 works on 64bit ( windows 7 ), and multicore, and hyperthreading (a option somewhere fixes it), and more than one graphics card well via nvidia cos I dont have the other graphics driver to test that, the only thing I've noticed is its a bit darker, probably to compensate for lcd monitors, and the sky works, cos it was broken with nvidia graphics.

I used to think companies didn't care about these old games, I mean it's not like they can profit with a 10 years old game, right? Well, they can. People can buy altered beast on PSN! this undermines my whole philosophy of playing emulators, what to say about leaked source of a much more recent game...

Edited by Diego

So the stuff will take even longer? Gosh - I wrote him a message declaring my help on this ages ago but he refused. I want my hd texture pack and I want it now!

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager