The Dark Mod Forums

Mission "Play list"

nbohr1more

7 members have voted

1. 1. Would it be cool to setup playlists for missions?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

This idea has been on my mind for awhile and forgive me if I've mentioned it before but...

When I look at the mission list, it reminds me very much of a Media Player or iTunes song list.

Some of the same considerations seem like a natural fit for this area.

Eg. If TDM ever breaks over 100 missions or so, finding the desired mission may become cumbersome

so a search feature might be desirable at that point.

So I began to think of the big discussions about making Sotha's missions into a Campaign.

To me, each mission is it's own self-contained vignette. Yes the story is connected but the

events are separate enough where persistent issues like cross-mission loot and shop items

don't really make sense without some amount of changes.

I think most would be happy if the missions could simply be "bundled to play together" rather

than integrated with persistent behavior like a "true campaign" and many other series probably

would fit that mold better too.

So what if you could simply tell TDM to "open mission X after I finish mission Y" via a sort of

"Playlist builder" in the GUI similar to making a playlist in iTunes. Further, what if you could

save these playlists as separate playlist files to be shared.

Folks who aren't good at building missions could take two missions that they like and created

a video that somehow merges their stories then create a 3 mission playlist (one mission is just a

video) that they can share with folks. Of course mission author can issue "official" playlists

too.

Does this sound like a good idea?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hmm.

So Tracker 2850 sorta does this on the server side...? but individuals cannot specify their own lists

nor does it automate playback...

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Its a good idea, but it would also be good to have a sort of tagging system. We would tag missions: mansion, city, crypt, etc. When I got into FMs over a decade ago, I would search for missions based on one of these settings.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I have no opinion about playlists.

I think it would be more important to have a mission rating system combined into the mission downloader would be important to make the growing FM list manageable. It should be done so that everyone gets only one vote to prevent abuse. Maybe some kind of login-thing, you get to rate missions if you login?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

It's basically not even necessary to automatically install the next FM through a playlist, I think. It would already be a HUGE gain, if FMs belonging to the same series were somehow bundled together in a virtual folder of the new mission menu and sorted according to their storyline-order. I was recently trying to figure out in which order Sotha's more recent missions are supposed to be played. It can be confusing as the release date is not directly displayed in the new mission menu and you also have to scroll through the whole FM list.

A mission rating system would be great too of course. Especially for new players!

Hmm.

So Tracker 2850 sorta does this on the server side...? but individuals cannot specify their own lists

nor does it automate playback...

Interesting. I just looked the issue up. I wonder how this feature looks like in the new mission menu? That seems to be pretty much what I described in my above post... Or does this only apply to actualy campaigns rather than FMs from a series?

I think it would be more important to have a mission rating system combined into the mission downloader would be important to make the growing FM list manageable. It should be done so that everyone gets only one vote to prevent abuse. Maybe some kind of login-thing, you get to rate missions if you login?

This is also a good idea, maybe use the forum login for this purpose.The only snag here is this would user server resources..