The Dark Mod Forums

Black Screen

simsum

The Problem:

I can see the mouse cursor and the Steam overlay when I run TDM, but otherwise the screen is black. Gauging by the audio and my ability to exit the game by a bit of careful mouse-clicking and guesstimation, it seems the game is running fine apart from the lack of video.

My End of Things:

Core i5, 32GB RAM, nVidia 460 2GB graphics card, 100s of GB free HDD space on a 1TB drive C.

Windows 7 Ultimate.

Steam version of Doom3, claiming to be the correct version for TDM.

Custom shortcut to run the game: "C:\Games\Steam\Steam.exe -applaunch 9050 +set fs_game_base darkmod"

Customised resolution in C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Doom 3\darkmod\DoomConfig.cfg to 1920*1200,

Disabled Threaded Optimisation in nVidia Control Panel. I made this change after having a glance at the TDM Wiki. Enabling Threaded Optimisation does not appear to have any effect.

What I'm Thinking

It appears the game resets DoomConfig to a display resolution of 7xx*4xx whenever I run it. I've tried to write-protect the file, but that didn't stop the game from changing it. And I'm guessing the weird resolution the game insists on is outside the range of my panel (a nice, if older, Eizo 26" with a native resolution of 1920*1200).

Edited by simsum

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem. After launching TDM by doubleclicking thedarkmod.exe, I get a black screen, but the sound runs as normal. I also get the mouseover sound effects when I move the mouse over a menu item. This started yesterday, after I updated to version 1.08. My Doom 3 version is 1.3.1.1304, Win7 Home Premium, Phenom II X4 965, 4 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5800 graphics card, native resolution 1680x1050, which I've also edited DoomConfig to. As I don't know what would go into an autoexec file I can't try that option.

I had this when I was in windowed mode, but full screen worked fine. I needed windowed to work and managed to get rid of the black screen by disabling post processing in the advanced video options. Don't know if either of you are running windowed but it's worth a try disabling post processing.

Edit: re-read the earlier posts and realised it affected the GUI not just in game as in my case. Ignore my advice, PP shouldnt affect the main menu at all.

Edited by Midnight

@ Hopper

create a new text file, and put in it

r_mode -1

r_customWidth (your desired width)

r_customHeight (your desired height)

and save this as all file types, and call it autoexec.cfg.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

• 1 month later...