The Dark Mod Forums

1.08 Impressions

Springheel

Thanks for the update. I've played for a few minutes now and I noticed some cool new things, like guards' pockets jingling when they're carrying something of value. This is a good idea because it lessons the chance that a burgler in the shadows will miss or not notice that a guard is carrying something. :) I also noticed the new sounds, like the candles falling. They used to use the Doom soda can sound.

EDIT: I figured out the problem. It was an issue on my end, unrelated to TDM. For anyone who cares:

I recently upgraded from Debian 6 to 7. In the past, I had /usr/local/games linked to /home/games, which is another partition where my games are kept. I did not relink this after the fresh Debian install, so TDM was not finding the Doom 3 pak files. The reason it funcioned correctly in Wine was that I *did* have links to the pk3 files in the ../base folder which Wine found but the Linux version of TDM didn't. All is good now though because I relinked usr/local/games to /home/games.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Wow, this new update is like a miracle. This update just made TDM run as smooth as never before.

I was having stuttering and bugs because of my ATI card now it feels and looks so smooth and great its like it changed engines:)

It also seems to look less sterile and more grimy, better contrasts of colors and darkness, but that may be just my new experience without the ATI bugs:)

• Like 2

Hm.. Played a bit to quick test. The body impact sounds were very nice. Also the candles have received a great improvement.

I fooled around in Too Late! going forward and KOing people. Shot a few thugs in the face with a broadhead. Very satisfying with the body collapse sound. Ended up in a sword fight in the warehouse, face stabbed an AI, he fell and.... crash to desktop.

Then I started Beleaguered Fence and decided to go aggressive. Killed the first guard with a sword, was dragging him into darkness as his pal came around the corner, he noticed blood and came to investigate and I shot him in the face with an arrow. Got shot the front door guard and the archer in the balcony saw me kill his pal and he ran inside. I tossed an explosive mine in front of the main doors into the city watch compound and clambered on the balcony. I heard the front door open and.. BOOM! After that, most of the city watch guards were searching the main door area as I was already in the second floor via the balcony. I decided to go to the barracks and made it in front of the doors when.... Crash to desktop.

These might just be a bad luck glitch, but two in a row during short time is troubling. I never really play this aggressively, though, maybe there is a rare CTD bug with agitated AI fooling around?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I played since the release and had no crashes. I really like the body sounds too and the new flames. And wow! St. Lucia is gonna be my new favourite mission now with all the improvements - very good as an included mission for everyone. This will please the new players instead of confronting them with a huge amount of maps from which they don't know to chose from. And hell yeah - all those bug fixes: It feels like work for me to just read through them - I can't believe the coders did all this REAL work to solve them.

And the new AI system is so amazing. It is giving me the chance to feel like a true master of the shadows, outsmarting them all!

Haha - you guys should really be busy tapping your shoulders right now! :laugh:

BEST UPDATE EVER !!!

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

These might just be a bad luck glitch, but two in a row during short time is troubling. I never really play this aggressively, though, maybe there is a rare CTD bug with agitated AI fooling around?

I don't remember our testers having issue like this, so before I reply can I ask how much system RAM you have and if you have a creative card and EAX enabled in TDM..? And for that matter do you have a program crash trace handy..?

I don't remember our testers having issue like this

It happens to me every once in a while when I've got a lot of AI searching for me all at once. Happened before 1.08 though.

I also had two crashes, but such things also occur before 1.08

whats quite strange is are some graphic errors I observed on some doors (meaning some door skins) and on some models

I tried to make a screenshot what gave me the first crash so I didn't tried it again ;)

I'll see if it occurs again

but as far as I could observe til now you did a great job here, especially the sounds made from some of the guards are pretty nice

so congratulations :D

... and yeah, the console font is pretty sweet

EDIT: I play under linux

Edited by Obsttorte

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

And wow! St. Lucia is gonna be my new favourite mission now with all the improvements -

Glad you like it! :)

• Like 1

I really want to point out that there is so much love in Tears Of St. Lucia - it was before and it is now for the patch. You see how it was revamped for the update and you'll get a smile on your face each time you encounter one of the lovely changes. :)

I personally never imagined, that you - the team - would take such a great step with a patch! The mod was regarded as a complete thing in the last year and so I expected nothing too "versatile". Following the game since 2009 I must say this patch is really outstanding and changing gameplay in a even more joyful way. The plan of adding a new version of St. Lucia was genius! You have a map to test out the cool new features now instead of waiting another bunch of months for a new "1.08 map" coming out. One recognizes that the whole team thought about the game itself and advertising the new patch in a right way.

I don't know (like in so many times) if this is the right translation, but: You have grown beyond yourselves!

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

It happens to me every once in a while when I've got a lot of AI searching for me all at once. Happened before 1.08 though.

Can I ask what you the same question I asked sotha?

In relation to Sotha's post -

- I have W7x64, 8Gb ram and Xfi

The only reproducible CTD's I ever got was when working on extremely large maps when running TDM in a window and had EAX enabled.

I really want to point out that there is so much love in Tears Of St. Lucia - it was before and it is now for the patch. You see how it was revamped for the update and you'll get a smile on your face each time you encounter one of the lovely changes.

How did you like the new sewers, spent a while tweaking them... :ph34r:

can I ask how much system RAM you have and if you have a creative card and EAX enabled in TDM

4G, no, and no. :)

I got it to crash! I went to the training mission archery range and fired lots of arrows. I was holding down the mouse button to fire faster and seeing some weird behavior with the bow drawback canceling early. Eventually I readied the bow and the arrow wasn't displayed, then TDM crashed.

Also, I'm not seeing "The engine can now reload the assets w/o requiring a restart." TDM 1.08 is still restarting for uninstalling/installing missions.

I figured out the problem. It was an issue on my end, unrelated to TDM.

Ah, good. :)

How did you like the new sewers, spent a while tweaking them... :ph34r:

Much more - how do you say- "organic" - haha! :laugh:

This (new) mission is really an enrichement!

yes 1.3.1

I'm not so sure of this. AFAIK, the 1.3.1 patch only updates the Doom3.exe executable.

Since 1.08 uses it's own executable you shouldn't need to patch.

Hell, I've heard that Tels had some missions running with no Doom 3 at all...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)