The Dark Mod Forums

1.08 Impressions

Springheel

Is this a 1.08 problem or is it a coding problem (I am replaying all the missions using 1.08)

I have noticed in a couple of missions if I pick up a crate then move towards a wall for example. When the crate hits the wall and stops I just pass into the crate

I love big Dark Mod Updates :D - My birthday is the 16th of October - So each birthday usually see's me getting some Dark-Mod related goodness with the anniversary of the mods release.

Had a play around with 1.8 - so far the biggest discernible improvement has to be the performance - it seem's that the game's unshackling from Steam has given me a vast performance increase.

I noticed a few graphical improvements which brought a smile - heat-haze over torches/fires was not something I remember from 1.7 and everything just looked prettier overall - and new sounds really makes the game feel more polished (no more D3 coke-can sounds for dropped candlesticks).

I have noticed one bug which wasn't there in 1.7 - If I draw back an arrow and then 'Jump' - the arm's, arrow and bow model do not follow the camera and instead float on the spot where you jumped - they do dissapear when you release fire but it is a little immersion breaking.

I am yet to play ToSL since the patch - but I can't wait to see how Bikerdude has improved it...

Edited by Scope
-Scope

but I can't wait to see how Bikerdude has improved it...

Biker did some optimising and retextured the first sewer section, but most of the modifications were actually done by me.

This has probably been mentioned before, but the screenshot key doesn't work for the stats gui, and that's one thing I want to take a screenshot of most of all. It didn't leave a screenshot for me anyway, but it did for everything in-game.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

heh, I'll take what I can get.

You get all the training mission glory. ;)

I think the reason that key bug lasted for a while is because early on the default was you couldn't drop keys, and most FMs kept that, so people didn't notice the bug.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Ahh - well in that case since playing the level since 1.8 I am really impressed with the changes I have seen - nice one Spring and Biker.

The Sewers look really great Biker - I always thought that they looked a little square and rushed - a vast improvement :)

A fairly minor complaint (if you can call it that), was the omission of the letter about the bottle of wine donated to the church (now replaced by letter to pere's wife), which says something like "there isn't enough genteel breeding between them to tell the difference between good wine and horse-piss". That always drew an immature chuckle from me :( t'will be missed!

Edited by Scope
-Scope

That letter is still in the mission, it's just been moved into the church so it's a little less distant from what it describes. It's one of my favourites as well. :)

That letter is still in the mission, it's just been moved into the church so it's a little less distant from what it describes. It's one of my favourites as well. :)

Ah great :) admittedly it was a rush playthrough to see the changes - will play again later and look for it :)

-Scope

I don't know if it was said but the most important improvement i would like to see in the darkmod is the mission loading time.

Playing in the north, i have to wait 1 minute and 48 seconds(!!!!) to start the mission on a normal hdd 7200 rpm. On my other pc (ssd) it takes less time but it is always "huge" time. :/

Edited by ECHELON

A new player has posted a bunch of walk-throughs of the updated training mission for those that are wondering what has changed in 1.08: https://www.youtube....channel&list=UL

• Like 2

I'm just glad it only takes a while to load the first time. Playing Thief: DS right now and the constant loading and long load times are extremely painful.

Just curious, are there any plans to enable the player's shadow and make AI aware of it? I would assume not as that would probably be difficult to implement for such a small change, but it would be interesting to see something like that actually affect gameplay.

There is a hack available to turn the player shadow on, though it isn't really supported. We talked about making AI see it early on, but the consensus was that it would make gameplay too difficult. It's much more difficult for players in the game to know what's behind and beside them (there's no easy way to glance over your shoulder like in real life) so it would be very difficult for the player to keep 360 degree awareness.

I just want to say 1.08 rocks! Congratulations and thank you to all the folks who worked so hard on this release, and all the releases that lead up to it, not to mention the amazing FM authors. I feel like the mod has reached some kind of turning point. I started a few missions in the past, but something always kept me from sticking with them, something always broke me out of the game world. But now I've gone back and replayed the same missions, and they were beautiful, captivating experiences from start to finish! The dark mod 1.08 feels like a polished, AAA-game, just as good and better than the original thief games that inspired it. Now that the mod is fully capable of doing justice to their visions, the number and quality of fan mission authors will continue to go up and up. It's finally all coming together. Dark mod is absolutely the best mod out there, and everyone who's worked on it must be extremely proud. You guys rock!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I believe you guys just found the perfect balance with 1.08. I mean, the guards aren't instantly fully alerted if they got a glimpse of your silhouette, but they do if you run to them and try to bj them. Really really nice work - I can imagine the hours of testing - haha! :laugh:

If someone (ie wench) ran at me and tried to bj me I certainly wouldn't resist.

If someone (ie wench) ran at me and tried to bj me I certainly wouldn't resist.

There was a mission for Thief 2 where Thiefes broke in and black jacked people! But no wenches.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager