The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Old Habits by Obsttorte (2012/10/19)

Obsttorte

Mission Rating  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Appearence

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near perfect
  2. 2. Gameplay

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  3. 3. Story

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect

Finished it on medium setting including

getting into the attic and switching off the generator

Still quite a lot of loot to find - mostly jewellery - so worth a second play on hardest setting.

Two minor glitches/questions

In the lady's chamber the lower left hand drawer opens through the chair.

In the attic the door to the second part won't open fully even after I removed all the crates

A very good mission overall but a bit harder than perhaps needed due to most of the guards having full helmets so they couldn't be blackjacked - i assume this is the case although I didn't actually try to

The various readables were well placed and gave enough information to assist in completing.

The only really difficult part was

getting the attic key off the guard so in the end I used the gas arrow to knock him out first

Edited by Oldjim

Yay! Back on track - problem solved on my end should of zigged instead of zagging I guess. :blush: Anyways seems to be working now so will continue with it.

Coming up to the end ( I think) but need a hint please.

There's a switch behind a statue in the upstairs room on the way to the ceremonial room, what is it for? I've been looking for awhile but obviously not in the right spot. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Thiefette

@Thiefette

It opens something in the same room :rolleyes:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

As I said earlier awesome mission! Just finished on medium and got all the loot. Yay! I will continue from where I left off on my earlier post.

After using the gas arrow to knock out the torch bearer (thanks Oldjim) things got a little easier. I found the switch in the captains room. The guards still made it a good challange but not frustrating. The way to the back room in the attic was tricky but with some patience I made it back there.

The hardest part for me was the balcony in the inner courtyard. I couldn't reach the purse in the window so I had to noclip. I also had a hard time manipulating the paddle as I had knocked it down when I came off the roof and it kept getting caught on the table, the stool, the window sill as well as both railings. :laugh: Finally managed to get the telescope. Your cerimonial hall seemed a little bright but again shadows were well placed.

Speaking of being up on the roof - I spotted the new guard torch complete with footsteps. Was that your creation or 1.08 ;) I'm really glad I got to finish this mission. Thanks again.

post-3777-0-60693600-1351008531_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thiefette

the wandering torch was my creation :P

I thought that it would be quite strange if it were posiible to annoy a guard, that can't reach the player

as I said in an earlier post the purse shouldn't be were it is laying now

so sorry for the no clip thing :unsure:

Overall I'm glad you as the others seem to enjoyed this mission ^_^ (I'm pretty sure this sentence is a grammatical mess - nevermind)

I finally placed my votes. If you do decide to do an update of this mission/bug fix release, two things I recommend are:

The water fountain outside in the garden makes no sound. There's also a sparklie (z-fighting?) glitch in the garden, on the right side where the sky meets the building. Its on the side with the entrance to the castle, between the hall and the steam rising.

I was also naughty naughty and climbed on top of the

outside wall in the garden. It was very easy to do. All I had to do was hop on the overhang for the seating area and mantle up there.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

@lost_soul

thanks for your advices, I'll keep them in mind

I'll surely will make a fixed release, but first I'll collect more glitches, which will most certainly reported. :unsure:

Finally replayed this in a lower difficulty :D Medium is just right for me. Found a few visual glitches but nothing worth mentioning I guess. All in all a pretty good mission! \o/

edit: just read the above post. There was only one glitch that spoiled my fun a bit:

At the central yard I can climb on the roof with the chimney from a ledge near the wooden window (the one with a painting inside) but I don't think this was predicted because there seems to be a wall keeping me from climbing down from there (probably because you didn't want people climbing over there through that balcony)

Edited by Diego

Finally replayed this in a lower difficulty :D Medium is just right for me. Found a few visual glitches but nothing worth mentioning I guess. All in all a pretty good mission! \o/

edit: just read the above post. There was only one glitch that spoiled my fun a bit:

At the central yard I can climb on the roof with the chimney from a ledge near the wooden window (the one with a painting inside) but I don't think this was predicted because there seems to be a wall keeping me from climbing down from there (probably because you didn't want people climbing over there through that balcony)

:laugh: I got stuck up there too, that's when I noticed the guard torch!

:o never thought about that, thank you for mentioning

but good to hear you liked it (the mission, not the glitch ;) )

btw.: what does \o/ mean :rolleyes:

:o never thought about that, thank you for mentioning

but good to hear you liked it (the mission, not the glitch ;) )

btw.: what does \o/ mean :rolleyes:

It's a little guy with arms up like he's saying "yaay" :P

And yeah, it's a great mission. The kind that reminds me I have equipment, otherwise it's too difficult. One part I think it's worth mentioning because I though it was really cool is the way in (out?) the central yard;

I'm not sure if there's an easier way, but I liked having to douse one torch from the other door and then going around to get in the yard from there. I think that's pretty clever design!

Edited by Diego

ah, now I can see it :laugh:

nice to hear, thank you

This was an enjoyable, large loot-hunting mission! I finished barely above the expert loot goal, with a lot more to find on a replay (there was also a loot pouch that I found impossible to frob). The hiding places were well thought out and creative, making them interesting to discover as puzzles. The challenge level was pleasantly high, especially after I wasted all my water arrows trying to extinguish a single torch. It is also nice to see a dark mission for a change, where your lantern genuinely matters. If there was a problem with the mission, it was that some of the scale seemed wrong -- the wing with the grand hall seemed awfully big for this manor house. Similarly, the main corridors were a bit on the wide side. But really, I enjoyed it a lot, and will revisit it later. :) Congratulations!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I wasted all my water arrows trying to extinguish a single torch

:laugh: nice to hear I'm not the only one with this problem

If there was a problem with the mission, it was that some of the scale seemed wrong

:unsure: yeah, I know, this is IMO one of the most difficult things when starting mapping, to make things right-sized

this is not only a problem due to authenticity but also due to the gaming mechanisms

but at least I have something I can do better the next time :P

and thank you for your grats

Awesome (first) mission! :D

I've found almost all the loot, except

I can't find the key for the metal chest in the noble's room (the room that also has the jewellery box beside the bed). I found the key for the jewellery box by pulling the switch on the wall in the dressing area, but I can't find anywhere else where the chest key is hiding. Edit: I'm playing on difficulty, if that changes things at all.

Thanks! :)

P.S. One little suggestion for next time is to perhaps make the background music more interesting?

Edited by cool_climber

thank you

the key you are searching is in the same room as the chest

you may take a more closer look at the secretary

the background music is shipped with TDM and I thought the selection was quite fitting

or do you mean that it should have changed more often?

the key you are searching is in the same room as the chest

you may take a more closer look at the secretary

Argh, what a newbie mistake! (I haven't posted much on this forum but I've been through the majority of the dark mod missions...)

the background music is shipped with TDM and I thought the selection was quite fitting

or do you mean that it should have changed more often?

In regards to the music, yes I guess what I was trying to say that perhaps it would be been more interesting if the music changed more often. Still a really great mission though! Congrats :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm playing this mission now and i'm encountering some problems. :/

Some locks don't work with my lockpicks. i don't see red background how when it isn't the right lockpick. it is as if the lockpicks do not interact at all with the lock. :/

But only on three locks for now.

@Echelon: you need keys for this locks

Just spent a few hours playing this and on the whole it was a very enjoyable experience. Its a very impressive first FM. Im playing on the expert level and have finished all my objectives except finding all the paintings and returning to the start. I'll have another hunt around for those paintings tonights as dont like leaving FMs incomplete.

Some constructive criticism that is very easy to resolve:

• You have a great big chunk of Z-fighting on one of the walls in the area that leads to the kitchen. It is so big that I'm amazed that non of your beta testers nor your good self has spotted it.
  • You have lots of wood textures that have the grain going the wrong way. The grain always goes along the side of wood that is the longest. I dont see anyone on the forums that notices this issue except me. I make guitars as a hobby so I probably notice this more due working with wood a lot. Even if no one notices this but me, your FM would look a lot nicer if your grain goes in the right direction.
  • Your main halways are quite boring to look at to be blunt. Places like your ballroom and garden prove you have an ability for makming areas that are a visual treat to look at so you have no excuse. Some banners and shields on the wall and small tables with vases or statuettes here and there would have solved this.

On the whole I really enjoyed playing your FM. Your patrol routes and guards with helmets and torches definately made this one of the most challenging FMs in recent memory. I am already looking forward to your next release.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker