The Dark Mod Forums

Standalone Progress

Springheel

Great work. I like the top right texture the most. Standalone TDM is still a while away, there's decent work to be done, but getting closer all the time.

Edited by RPGista

Great job.

I mentioned elsewhere, aside from full-on standalone, we could also have our eyes on getting a few individual FMs running more or less standalone for 1.09, so even though it's not the full thing, some people might be tempted to download it just to play those few FMs & that gets them into the game.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

That's some of my point. At the end of the day, it depends on what FMs individually need for that FM... I don't think there's any coding wise, because that was all released in the sourcecode. What needs to be replaced is what's in the pk4s. Well there's some D3 scripts, which are code (which are probably ok to copy, but there's not much D3 stuff left in them anyway). The rest are, yes, largely assets.

But even with assets, some FMs need different assets than others, and there are lots of different kinds of assets. That's what I meant by my post, concentrating on getting a few individual FMs to fully work by replacing the assets they need first (as opposed to a bigger number of FMs closer but not working by just picking random assets to replace in no specific order). But it may turn out practically there's not too much difference in how we'd work on it either way. It's all about what people are motivated to work on.

Oh, also there's data files which are code-like (but we think those are ok to copy too)... There's textures, bump maps, animations, sound foleys, light textures, material files maybe?, articulated figures, scripts, def files, etc, etc. Basically open up the .pk4s with a zip program and you can see exactly what we're talking about.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Looking at the Missing assets for standalone page on the wiki to see if I could help with textures and/or sounds, and I have a few noob questions: -

1) Textures

The first list says:

Missing for the new SL (these might be shaders, not textures, it is hard to tell):

- What does SL stand for?

- If they are shaders and not textures, (i) how would I know? (ii) what is a shader (can't find anything much on the wiki), and (iii) how would I create one in TDM? (Told you they were noob q's.)

For the "Missing otherwise" list, I'm going through the decals from pak004, and I'm surprised how small most of them are - 128x128 or smaller seems quite common. Am I looking at the right ones? (I thought they'd be larger.)

2) Sounds

i) General observation: my soundfiles seem to be mainly .ogg rather then .wav as per the list - is that a problem?

ii) I'm finding it hard to find many of these soundfiles in the D3 paks. For the first file on the list (_default.wav) - I found _default.ogg in pak000, so I guess that's it. However, things get a bit confusing going on down the list: -

activate_airpump_02.wav
- found
loop_airpump_02
; is that it?

admin_impdoor_creak.wav
- there's an
'admin_impdoors'
folder with creak1 and creak2

alarm.wav
- there are various 'loop_alarms' and an 'alarm_02', but can't find 'alarm'

ambient_metal_stresses.wav
- there's a 'pak003\sound\ambient\metals' folder which has various '
1shot_metalstress
' sounds; or there's 'pak003\sound\xian\metals\long_ambient_stresses' folder which has some '
long_ambient_stress
' sounds.

bodyparts.wav
- got body_drag, body_rot and a body_vert. Don’t have any bodyparts (lol)

...and so on. Are the names on the list referring to soundsets that need changing (e.g. the ambient_metal_stresses; do all the 'long_ambient_stress' sounds need replacing?) Has there been some name-changing down the line? Are my paks messed up? Or am I just missing something? Any guidance welcome :smile: .

I'll answer the first few things.

SL = Saint Lucia.

A shader is a data file that tells the renderer how it should render certain things on a surface, like transparency or alpha blending or some effect like water waves. When you see a messed up surface in an FM, it may not be obvious at first if it's because the texture is missing or if it's because the shader is asking for the renderer to do something it can't because something it wants is missing, or maybe even the shader itself isn't there.

How do you tell? It's like any bug fixing in working with games... You first dig around in the files & see how its logic works & where it might break down (open DR & see what files does that surface ask for, then see if those files are there; then does the shader ask for anything inside of it, etc) or if sometimes you run a little experiment or make a little test map to test out a theory (put in a dummy working texture or shader). After that you'd go into more advanced debugging things you learn from experience.

Edit: I wouldn't worry about that side of it though, and focus more on specific assets you know need to be replaced at first maybe.

For the "Missing otherwise" list, I'm going through the decals from pak004, and I'm surprised how small most of them are - 128x128 or smaller seems quite common. Am I looking at the right ones? (I thought they'd be larger.)

D3 files tended to be small. It's usually standard procedure for us to double the size.

General observation: my soundfiles seem to be mainly .ogg rather then .wav as per the list - is that a problem?

.ogg files are smaller, so we ship those. However, .ogg files lose quality when they are resaved, so we prefer to have .wavs of the originals. If you're replacing sound files, .wavs would be preferable. I can convert them to .ogg easily when they are added to the mod.

Are the names on the list referring to soundsets that need changing

Sounds have "soundshaders" similar to textures. Soundshaders look something like this:

[name of shader]

{

volume -3

[sound file01.ogg]

[sound file02.ogg]

etc

}

When the "name of shader" is called, the code randomly picks from the list of "sound files" and plays one. That's why you don't hear the same footstep sound every time.

So the soundshader should stay the same, but the sound files need to be replaced.

I guess someone is going to have to go through the list and cross off the ones that have already been done. I haven't had much time to worry about the list, but it will need to be updated to avoid duplication.

Why are the decals still in there? I've made them ready half a year ago :blink:

As Springheel said, the list might not have been updated, also, I'm not sure your decals have already been added. It might also be that the actual decal textures are there, but not the same-name material shaders. The warning in the console about a missing asset does unfortunately not list which asset could not be found when it comes to images and shaders, only that none of them was there.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

It would be cool to check this - I am able to send them to you again if needed. Just to be sure that no one does the job again. I got a PM recently about a forum member wanting to do the decals - I told him / her that the decals are already done, but I can't do this for everyone, so please update that page! :unsure:

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Sounds have "soundshaders" similar to textures. Soundshaders look something like this: (etc)

OK - think I've worked it out, and have started making a list that identifies the specific soundfile associated with the shader header description from the list (NB - I have a couple of queries highlighted in yellow):

_default.wav

??? [- does this refer to the files in …\pak003\sound\ed\default - ?]

activate_airpump_02.wav

sound/machinery/machines/1shot_airpump_02_activate.wav

sound/machinery/machines/loop_airpump_02.wav

admin_impdoor_creak.wav

sound/ed/admin_impdoors/creak1.wav

sound/ed/admin_impdoors/creak2.wav

alarm.wav

??? [- does this mean all the files listed in alarms.sndshd - ?]

ambient_metal_stresses.wav

sound/xian/metals/long_ambient_stresses/long_ambient_stress_02.wav

sound/xian/metals/long_ambient_stresses/long_ambient_stress_03.wav

sound/xian/metals/long_ambient_stresses/long_ambient_stress_05.wav

sound/xian/metals/long_ambient_stresses/long_ambient_stress_06.wav

//sound/xian/metals/long_ambient_stresses/long_ambient_stress_01.wav

//sound/xian/metals/long_ambient_stresses/long_ambient_stress_04.wav

//sound/xian/metals/long_ambient_stresses/long_ambient_stress_07.wav

bodyparts.wav

sound/impact/guts/guts_01.wav

sound/impact/guts/guts_02.wav

sound/impact/guts/guts_03.wav

sound/impact/guts/guts_04.wav

sound/impact/guts/guts_05.wav

bones_fall.wav

sound/impact/bones/bones_01.wav

sound/impact/bones/bones_02.wav

book_impact.wav

sound/impact/books/book_01.wav

sound/impact/books/book_02.wav

sound/impact/books/book_03.wav

sound/impact/books/book_04.wav

sound/impact/books/book_05.wav

sound/impact/books/book_06.wav

breakable_light_hum.wav

sound/lights/loop_neonlight_buzz_05.wav

bridge_up_speaker.wav

sound/levels/alphalabs4/bridge_up_1s.wav

bullet_impact_flesh.wav

sound/weapons/impacts/bullet_flesh/fleshimpact_04.wav

sound/weapons/impacts/bullet_flesh/fleshimpact_05.wav

sound/weapons/impacts/bullet_flesh/fleshimpact_07.wav

/*

sound/weapons/impacts/bullet_flesh/fleshimpact_01.wav

sound/weapons/impacts/bullet_flesh/fleshimpact_02.wav

sound/weapons/impacts/bullet_flesh/fleshimpact_03.wav

sound/weapons/impacts/bullet_flesh/fleshimpact_06.wav

sound/weapons/impacts/bullet_flesh/fleshimpact_08.wav

sound/weapons/impacts/bullet_flesh/fleshimpact_09.wav

sound/weapons/impacts/bullet_flesh/fleshimpact_10.wav

bullet_impact_stone.wav

sound/weapons/impacts/bullet_stone/stoneimpact_01.wav

sound/weapons/impacts/bullet_stone/stoneimpact_02.wav

sound/weapons/impacts/bullet_stone/stoneimpact_03.wav

sound/weapons/impacts/bullet_stone/stoneimpact_04.wav

bullet_impact_wood.wav

sound/weapons/impacts/bullet_wood/woodimpact_01.wav

sound/weapons/impacts/bullet_wood/woodimpact_02.wav

sound/weapons/impacts/bullet_wood/woodimpact_03.wav

sound/weapons/impacts/bullet_wood/woodimpact_04.wav

burger_impact.wav

sound/impact/burger/burger_01.wav

sound/impact/burger/burger_02.wav

sound/impact/burger/burger_03.wav

sound/impact/burger/burger_04.wav

caco_projectile.wav

sound/monsters/cacodemon/fireball_travel_loop.wav

cage_elevatordoor_close.wav

sound/ed/doors/_elevator_silver_twopaned/close1.wav

cage_elevatordoor_open.wav

sound/ed/doors/_elevator_silver_twopaned/outer_1.wav

ceiling_tiles.wav

sound/ed/sfx/ceiling_tiles/tile1.wav

sound/ed/sfx/ceiling_tiles/tile2.wav

sound/ed/sfx/ceiling_tiles/tile3.wav

sound/ed/sfx/ceiling_tiles/tile4.wav

sound/ed/sfx/ceiling_tiles/tile5.wav

cpu_m3_loop.wav

sound/movers/_general_movement/m3_loop.wav

d3dm5_generator_off.wav

sound/levels/d3dm5/gen_off.wav

d3dm5_generator_on.wav

sound/levels/d3dm5/gen_on.wav

sound/levels/d3dm5/gen_loop.wav

default_door_unlocked.wav

sound/doors/door_unlocked_02.wav

e3_metalbash_01.wav

sound/e3/1shot_metalbash_06.wav

elevator_moving_loop.wav

sound/ed/elevator/elev_loop.wav

Etc, etc. I'm happy to go through the whole list and add the sound file paths associated with the shader, unless someone's got a better system. (I'll do it just for my own reference anyway :smile: .)

For the record, my working method for putting the above list together was:

1. Point the search programme (I use Agent Ransack) at my folder of unzipped D3 base paks

2. Tell it to look for a *.sndshd file containing the text of each item on the list, excluding the ".wav" suffix (e.g. "activate_airpump_02")

3. Open the file it finds in Notepad

4. Tell Notepad to find the same 'containing' search item I used in step 2 (i.e. "activate_airpump_02")

5. Copy the sound file paths listed beneath that header in the .sndshd file and paste them into the new document above.

The two queries in the list above are from when those steps didn't return a definite result. If I've fundamentally misunderstood the system, let me know :smile: .

Like I say, I'll do the whole list for my own reference, but if people think it'd be useful for the wiki, I'm happy to upload it, but I need to be shown how to sign up for it. (May be a good idea to get a system going where people can say they're working on particular files to try and avoid duplication, but not sure how that would work.)

For the record, my working method for putting the above list together was:

If you place a speaker in DR, it will open a list of all the soundshader names. D3 soundshaders are under "base", and if you select one it will tell you exactly what files are part of that shader (and you can even play it directly from that window).

If you place a speaker in DR, it will open a list of all the soundshader names. D3 soundshaders are under "base", and if you select one it will tell you exactly what files are part of that shader (and you can even play it directly from that window).

Sounds like that could be easier. I'll give it a go :)