The Dark Mod Forums

Standalone Progress

Springheel

Could that set be slightly more topical than random cries and shrieks? TDM's haunts could really use something like Thief's "Join usssss..... join usss nowww!"

(I know, easy to ask)

I agree. It will be a great day when the revenant sounds are replaced. Go and try to get killed by one. The retarded laughter the revenant emanates is just sad.

What the vocal set would be like needs very careful though. The current revenant is so plain that it seems his personality was never really decided.

Are revenants intelligent undead like vampires? "*hollow voice* Oh, how I miss the comfort of the flesh, the warmness of the blood."

Or are they slaves/automatons like zombies? "Growl.. Moan.. Hiss."

Or insane spirits somewhere between "... your soul.. *hysterical laughter*... give it to me.. *angry* I'll kill you and take it for my own! Where did you go? *crying* The soul... I crave it. Borrow it.. *appealing* Maybe just for a little while? Please?"

Or maybe they could be simply 100% silent.

Difficult business, I don't envy the one calling the shots.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I agree. It will be a great day when the revenant sounds are replaced. Go and try to get killed by one. The retarded laughter the revenant emanates is just sad.

I actually like the laughter.

The idea I had behind the revenants is that they are the bodies of builders that were not given final rites or buried in sanctified ground (and thus could be invaded and animated by evil spirits). Not only that, but these were wrapped in magical chains that kept the soul of the builder trapped in the carcass as well, so they are continually tormented by the spirits that are animating their body. That's why they occasionally plead for help, "Please..." . Those whispers are from the original soul. The different shrieks and cackle noises come from all the different evil spirits inhabiting the body.

Still, there's no question they need to be replaced with non D3 assets.

Here are a few more variations of the replacement for the head08 series. I've now replaced everything that already existed, and I've added a few extra varieties of hair and hat colour (not shown) for good measure.

The upper right guy looks really awesome. Inventor meets fighter, sort of like Iron man! I love it! :)

TDM's haunts could really use something like Thief's "Join usssss..... join usss nowww!"

I always found the following line a little disturbing: "Flames surround you, flames, nothing but flames burning your flesh!"

Shivers

I like the idea that the revenants are tormented because they're builders who have been denied the promise of whatever afterlife they'd been working towards their whole lives. I think this is something that wasn't really done with the original Haunts, maybe the revenants could have dialogue that explores this more.

The idea I had behind the revenants is that they are the bodies of builders that were not given final rites or buried in sanctified ground (and thus could be invaded and animated by evil spirits). Not only that, but these were wrapped in magical chains that kept the soul of the builder trapped in the carcass as well, so they are continually tormented by the spirits that are animating their body. That's why they occasionally plead for help, "Please..." . Those whispers are from the original soul. The different shrieks and cackle noises come from all the different evil spirits inhabiting the body.

Still, there's no question they need to be replaced with non D3 assets.

Hm.. I did not know this. I just felt the revenants had just some placeholder sounds. I like the idea you have for the revenant. I agree with MN, maybe the future vocal set could make the original idea more obvious. Maybe more conflict and dialogue between the original soul and the demons, like in the exorcist movies. The original soul could sound frail, tormented and scared and the demons would have loud disturbing, changing voices. Or maybe the revenants would chant some Builder litanies/prayers, but the original words would be twisted and perverted by the dark spirits.

Maybe even the original soul would be whimpering and asking the torment to end when the revenant is idle and the demons would take over when the revenant sees something to kill.

Clipper

Those all sounds like good ideas, but the real trick is getting someone who is able to create something usable. Getting shrieks and wails is relatively easy...getting demonic voices that don't sound cheesy is not.

Those all sounds like good ideas, but the real trick is getting someone who is able to create something usable. Getting shrieks and wails is relatively easy...getting demonic voices that don't sound cheesy is not.

Is this too cheesy? I played one hour with different reverb setting and sound reversal. (Reversing the sound reveals the original sample)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/32wlwm

Maybe such spookified gibberish could be used. Also a though: can english language be spoken in reverse and then reverse the audiotrack so that the language would be barely understandable in a twisted sort of way? This might enable understandable spookified gibberish.

Clipper

Is this too cheesy? I played one hour with different reverb setting and sound reversal. (Reversing the sound reveals the original sample)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/32wlwm

Maybe such spookified gibberish could be used. Also a though: can english language be spoken in reverse and then reverse the audiotrack so that the language would be barely understandable in a twisted sort of way? This might enable understandable spookified gibberish.

Just use German, Norsk and old German and Platt mixed up:

:D (half seroius)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

That could work if they were tormented and pleading for help or mercy. It's an allusion to the SS2 mutants "Kill meee...". We should have our own dark twisted phrase to brand our guys though. "Haave mercyyy" (?)... Heh, sort of funny to imagine while they're running after you. Have to think about it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

A few mockups more to show what could be achieved with simply playing with effects on a skillful voice actor. Simply spookified lines that can be understood:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4813wb

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0zrae1

In this, the horror.ogg would correspond the original soul and the chatty.ogg the demon(s).

Is audio batch converting possible? I mean first an ordinary sounding vocal set is made and then an automatic process applies the same spookification on the all files:

reverse, apply reverb, reverse, add pitch alteration gradient.

Clipper

Not so sure about German and Norsk, but I do know Hebrew:

"Yet 40 more days and Nineveh will be destroyed."

\'od arba\'im.mp3

I'm always extremely careful with pitch change. No more than 1/2 step up and no more than 1 step down, or else it starts to sound obviously tampered with to the point of comical.

[edit:] Or how about this line for agitated searching state?

rev_sketch join us.mp3

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

D3W veteran Douglas Quaid has uploaded a small pack of horror themed sounds:

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25934&p=242922#p242922

Free to use with credits to the author.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 1 month later...

That's a very good-looking head. Figuratively speaking, of course.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I see the Michael Ironside look in the eyes, which is cool. He's a fun villain.

Definite improvement over the old one.

So that's all the heads, the zombie model, and a wolfbeast model on its way... We're making progress.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Thanks! My love for this mod is the only thing that's kept me contributing for this long.

• Like 2

Third D3 head is replaced. He's slightly more bald than the original, but the hair on the original (I made it) never looked quite right anyway.

Heh, didn't notice this before, but does the new version remind anyone of Michael Ironside?

Springheel, you make good head....

Seriously though, I love your dedication mate