The Dark Mod Forums

"free" textures at a sight that's almost closed

Lord Stenvaagi

The license doesn't look so good. It's aimed at commerical products. Here's one sentence of it:

...Licensee guarantees that the resources will be distributed in a format, and with their customers understanding, that the Licensee's Customers cannot and will not separate these licensed resources from the Software Package obtained from the Licensee...

Adding things to TDM wich aren't under the license that TDM is under is always a huge problem, because you suddenly need to have two sep. asset bases in one package where each file is listed to belong to one or the other license. That is if both licenses actually allow to ship things together.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Ok thanks for the responses. I guess the best way is to just make my own textures....maybe with gimp or camera. What size/resolution would br good?

Having made some textures just recently I would say 2048*2048 as a minimum, our wiki mentions res as low as 1024*1024, but I suggets only going that low if the source image is of very high or photographic quality.

None of our textures are 2048x2048, and I'd shudder to think of the mod size if they were. Anything larger than 1024x1024 should be used sparingly.

your screen only can show off 72dpi, so anything above this will make the texture larger in size to be able to show all the "dots"

so a 256x256 with 72 dpi will not be enough for high definition, but a 256x256 in 300 dpi sure will

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Pixels are pixels. End of. A 512 x 512 image on a monitor is exactly the same at 72DPI or 300DPI for all intents and purposes. It only really relates to how large it will appear when sent to a printer.

Try it yourself. Change the DPI of an image in Photoshop (or GIMP) without re-sampling it... exactly the same image.