The Dark Mod Forums

[solved] Lockup after updating to 1.08

prjames

Folks,

I updated to 1.08 using tdm_updater and I have a really strange problem - a hard lockup whenever I run TheDarkMod.exe.

Tdm_Updater claims I am now up to date (after installing 1.08).

Basically, when I run TheDarkMod.exe, after a couple seconds, I can move my cursor around on Windows XP desktop but can no longer run any programs or the Start menu, and must reboot the system via reset button to recover. I tried running TheDarkMod.exe with the Windows Task Manager up, when I try to click on Windows Task Manager after starting TheDarkMod.exe, the cursor locks up.

I can run Doom 3 without problems. I strongly believe I have version 1.3.1 of Doom 3 on my system because I've run The Dark Mod 1.07 without difficulty and I have the 1.3.1 patch (*.exe) on my system.

I haven't seen anyone else who mentioned a hard lockup so I figured I'd ask if anyone's seen this before. My next step if I don't get any successful ideas is to uninstall Dark Mod completely and download the entire 1.7 Gigs of Dark Mod from scratch and see if that (a completely new install) helps.

My system: Windows XP, Service Pack 3, Intel Core 2 Duo (3.00 Ghz), 2 GB RAM.

- prjames

Edited by Springheel

Could it be a software firewall opening a "communication attempt by the thedarkmod.exe" notification window and you cannot see it, because the full screen game application blocks the view and you cannot even alt-tab out? This has happened to me with some other games.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

No, I had this too (I have an ATI HD6950). It always happened when I enable Vsync. prjames, It might be a good idea to rename the Darkmod.cfg in the darkmod folder and re-run the game, this time _not_ enabling Vsync. At least this worked for me.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

No, I had this too (I have an ATI HD6950). It always happened when I enable Vsync. prjames, It might be a good idea to rename the Darkmod.cfg in the darkmod folder and re-run the game, this time _not_ enabling Vsync. At least this worked for me.

I don't have a darkmod.cfg. I have a doomconfig.cfg and a darkmod.ini, neither of them has "vsync" anywhere in it.

It'll be a couple days before I get back to this, but I'm probably going to simply blow everything away and download the 2 gigs (e.g. reload from scratch) and see if that solves it.

- prjames

That is strange. I have the Darkmod.cfg in both the updated and the newly downloaded folders. Maybe it's a good idea to do a completely fresh download of the whole mod?

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

That is strange. I have the Darkmod.cfg in both the updated and the newly downloaded folders. Maybe it's a good idea to do a completely fresh download of the whole mod?

OK. I blew away the Dark Mod and I uninstalled Doom 3, reinstalled Doom 3 and 1.3.1 (which works fine) and downloaded the 2.13 Gigs of Dark Mod using the updater, and when I try to start Dark Mod, I still get the hard lockup. :angry:

It's the middle of the night here, so I'll try other things (latest graphics drivers occurs to me) at another time. BTW, I have a NVIDIA GEForce 9600 GT graphics card, in case that matters.

- prjames

EDIT: Other possibilities: My version of DirectX might have something to do with it. About 3-4 weeks ago I loaded and played Torchlight II, which I believe asked me to upgrade my version of DirectX.

Also (going back to 7upMan's post), in my Darkmod directory, I have a darkmod.ini but no darkmod.cfg. I wonder if it normally looks for darkmod.cfg, doesn't find it, and then comes up with some defaults (and in my case, says, "Oh, this is a high-end graphics card, I can do everything", causing the lockup). Is there a "sample" darkmod.cfg somewhere I can try and tweak values (starting with Vsync)?

Edited by prjames

The problem is fixed.

I did the "Disable Nvidia Threaded Optimizations" change which is in the pinned "problems" FAQ at the top of this forum.

Then, I ran TheDarkMod.exe and stepped away from my keyboard :P - doing other things, coming back 20 minutes later. (This was a reaction to seeing threads and bug reports about "it takes 3 to 4 minutes to load the mission" or load shaders or...)

DarkMod was up in 640x480 mode, it was set to Vsync off. When I exited to Windows, it was also in 640x480 mode. I then slowly upped the graphics to 1280x1024 for both DarkMod and Windows XP, and now, when I go to DarkMod, it quickly gets there with no problems.

I haven't tried actually running a mission (I have other things I must do now), but I no longer have a lockup upon startup.

- prjames

Edited by prjames