The Dark Mod Forums

Weather In Dark Mod

PinkDot

I haven't played Doom3 so I don't know if its engine can render weather effects. Are you going to implement rain, snow and fog in Dark Mod? I just can't imagine Thief-like game without snow...

I was playing around with particle systems in the D3 editor and I have to say its pretty damn flexible, much more so than dromed could ever have offered us. Im hoping for everything from driving rain to gently falling snow, smoke rising from chimneys and drifting in the night breeze... blah blah blah. Its gonna rock!

• 1 year later...
I just can't imagine Thief-like game without snow...

I'm pretty sure Thief: The Dark Project was pretty thief-like, and I don't recall any snow in it. Unless you count the ice in the Maw, but that could hardly be considered snow. And even if you were to consider that snow, that wouldn't require a weather affect, it's just a texture with low friction that resembles ice.

Milestones approaching:

Recital: 3-24-12

ToughMudder: 4-15-12

Release first FM: ?-?-20??

I'm pretty sure Thief: The Dark Project was pretty thief-like, and I don't recall any snow in it.

Maybe I'll sound like a heretic but I didn't play Thief 1...

Well, actually I can even imagine thief-like game without not only snow but also without water and rope arrow... But I would miss something for sure...

PINKDOT, GO BUY THIEF: THE DARK PROJECT (or Gold) THIS WEEKEND! It is truly an amazing game. Graphics set aside, it is the greatest game I have played in my life! and even with its outdated graphics it is well worth playing and replaying. I still play Thief 1 regularly, and prefer hands down to T2 and T3. T1 is a game worth getting obsessed about. Even after beating it, there's so much to do. Anybody who played T1 in '98 when it was brand-spanking new (before all the editors came out that ruin some element of the fun) tell me honestly that you didn't spend hours trying to find a way from level 5 to the basement of level 10. I was in 4th grade at the time, and didn't know a whole lot about level design so I was sure there had to be some way to do it.

(i'm using #'s rather than level names because i don't want to ruin anything for PINKDOT, or any other people who may not yet have had the joy of playing T1, but those level #'s are for T:TDP, not TG, and i'm not counting the training level)

Milestones approaching:

tell me honestly that you didn't spend hours trying to find a way from level 5 to the basement of level 10.

If I'm thinking of the right place, then yes, tried for a long time too! That level was TRIPPY! One of my favourite old Thief memories

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

sure sounds like ur thinking of the right place, level 5 was pretty "trippy". that was definatley one of my fondest T1 memories. I was 10 at the time, and my brother was 3 yrs older than me and CPU games were like the only things we could do together, cuz he was just so much better than me at everything else back then. anyway, we spent so long trying to get down there. I remember one time, he was out at a b-day party or somthing, and i loaded up the beginning of level 10, and played for a few minutes and then saved it, but changed the name of the save so it would look like level 5, and when my brother got home i pretended i had done it. He thought it was amazing! ...for like 10 seconds... (i couldn't keep a straight face at all back then). anyhoo, some awesome memories in that game, anyone who doesn't have it should get it. I remember the first games my brother and I used to play were on this CD called Quantum Leap Game Collection (played on a MAC LC back in like '95). our favorite games were Out of This World (also known as Another World), Prince of Destruction, and Realmz. have any of you guys played those?

well, this topic quickly got away from being about game weather effects, but what's a good forum without a few nonsense tangents?

Milestones approaching:

Slavatrumpevitch - I do believe it's the amazing game. I have even tried this game once (not finished first level), but as you can read in my post above - I just don't have time for everything. And I don't like monsters...

But I've heard about some mission in Constantine's House or something like this which is quite unusual (floor turned to ceiling) and maybe this will motivate me some day to go back to this game.

Well, as long as you keep things in perspective. The Dark Project is widely held to be the best in the series, the most "magical" in the sense of everything coming together, gameplay, story, atmosphere, level design, etc. This is how Randy -- a level designer on all three, lead designer in T2 and project head of T3 -- recently summed the three up, admitting that the next two never matched that level in his own estimation, and I and lots of people agree. There was some undead, but no monsters, and the sneaking aspect is largely the same for undead as guards, I think.

Anyway, as for "time", if you have time for *anything* Thief related, you should spend that time playing the Dark Project before anything else. Seriously, I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that I can't think of anything else in the entire Thief oerve that out-does it taken as a whole package. It's the standard, the benchmark against which everything afterwards is graded.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Anyway, as for "time", if you have time for *anything* Thief related, you should spend that time playing the Dark Project before anything else.

listen to him, he is a very wise man

Milestones approaching:

I remember the first games my brother and I used to play were on this CD called Quantum Leap Game Collection (played on a MAC LC back in like '95). our favorite games were Out of This World (also known as Another World), Prince of Destruction, and Realmz. have any of you guys played those?

Somebody else has heard of Realmz? I thought that I had hallucinated it.

Seriously, though, I've only played the demo version. Seemed pretty neat. From what I hear it's similar to a series of games called "exile" or somesuch.

Damn, this has me thinking back to all of my favorite old shareware games. Anybody heard of God of Thunder? Raptor? Zone 66? Tank Wars, Bot, Solar Winds (pretty buggy that one), Jetpack, or Battle Chess (don't think that was shareware, actually)? How about Android pinball?

Ah, good 'ol Windows 95 Shareware crap! But didn't we all just love it back in the day, the chance to play part of the game for FREE!!! Woohoo!!!

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Get Thief Gold.

Songs of the Caverns is the best level ever. It is AMAZING. The sound. The graphics. Plus Gold adds more human missions (a lot of them are non-human) and tidies up other missions. Plus you get more wierdness in the mansion you've heard of.

Plus: Cragscleft.

Pfft. Bonehoard is easy, but time-consuming.

Granted, the first couple times I played it I spent minutes just being spazzed out by the zombie down below where you first descend into the crypt, trying to figure out how to get down there without getting anywhere near him.

It kind of sucks knowing how relatively harmless they are now.

Edited by ZylonBane

Pfft. Bonehoard is easy, but time-consuming.

Granted, the first couple times I played it I spent minutes just being spazzed out by the zombie down below where you first descend into the crypt, trying to figure out how to get down there without getting anywhere near him.

It kind of sucks knowing how relatively harmless they are now.

Yeah, but you gotta admit, you get a rush of adrenaline the first time you're in there and there's like 20 zombies walking toward you. Pity they're not dangerous.

Yeah, such great atmosphere ... really credible as a gargantuan, buried, unholy crypt.

I'd have said I was sold on the game when I entered the main chamber ... but really, they had me at "Inside at last..."

The most magical level remains for me Constantine's mansion.

RTC got a bit spoiled since I didn't actually (fairly) finish it first time through. But geez that level had me absolutely petrified time after time, when I'd feel heroic for simply dashing into the next room!

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.