The Dark Mod Forums

Mod Monsters

Springheel

The ideal thing would be for a modeller/animator to show up who is keen on replacing our werebeast model and all the animations that go with it.

If that doesn't happen, I could probably remodel it myself (we can keep all the parts from Odd's original model after all). But rigging and animating it would probably be beyond me. I could, however, rig it to the skeleton of an existing md5mesh character and reuse the animations used by that character, which might be enough to get it working for the few missions that actually use it.

Does anyone know of any werebeast-like (in terms of shape) monsters in D3 mods with a decent range of animations? The only D3 mod I know of with it's own custom monsters is Hexen, but they don't seem to have anything suitable.

One of my highschool friends studied computer animation. I might ask him if he either he could help us out or know somebody who could help. If it's someone outside though, it might get a better reception if we could compensate them a little, if people here might be open to contributing a little to such a cause (and just for that). But if we go that far, we might just look to someone on one of the CG forums who knows animating and PM them. I'll ask my friend if he knows modeling & animation like this & has any desire to help anyway.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Well, considering people wanted to give the team money anyway, we might as well take it and use it to pay professionals like these to get standalone status a little closer. Once everything is done, if some money is still in the pott, we could donate it to a good cause.

I'll ask my friend if he knows modeling & animation like this & has any desire to help anyway.

That would be great; we'll get better results if it's done by someone who knows what they're doing.

If people were willing to donate towards paying someone to do it, I'm okay with that as well.

The big remaining tasks that I'm aware of are:

zombie animations -- I could probably do this, but it would be faster/better if done by an animator

skeleton model -- I'm _sure_ there must be game-ready skeleton models out there somewhere that someone might share with us; anyone have time to look?

werebeast model/animations

I'll try combing D3W and Moddb. There have been several contests to create new monsters for Doom 3

in the past and there may be some applicable entries. (Though most probably look like Aliens or Doom-Demons)...

Edit: Collecting links, will try to verify how appropriate this stuff is:

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22419

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I'm _sure_ there must be game-ready skeleton models out there somewhere that someone might share with us

Doesn't Hexen have skeletons? I remember they said they weren't using any D3 assets, but I thought I remembered seeing skeletons in one of their trailers...anyone know if that's correct?

Sorry I forgot to reply about my friend's response. It turns out he does traditional animation, like cartoons (I misinterpreted how he used the term "computer animation"), so wasn't really experienced with model animation. He said he'd ask around some of his friends that do do model animation, but I wouldn't bank on it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I'm holding myself from posting here for days.

This is exactly the sort of thing I would love to at least give it a shot. But the mod already has so many half models of my authorship, because idTech4 hates me, apparently, and I can't get them ingame. But I want to try again! keep the position opened for more reliable contributors though.

What are the guidelines? I imagine it has to be similar to the existing werewolf werebeast.

What I remember from trying before is that I have to use Max's native bone system with a specific naming convention. That tells me that if I manage to at least make an animated model inside 3ds max, getting it ingame is just a matter of... black magic? well, the point is that from there it can be made ingame and someone must know how to do that.

Edited by Diego

What are the guidelines? I imagine it has to be similar to the existing werewolf werebeast.

You can even use significant portions of the existing one. What I did to create the current werebeast was take take the head and shoulders of Oddity's incomplete werebeast model, and combine them with a modified version of the D3 imp body. Technically it's just the body (and animations) that need to be replaced, though that's probably a lot less satisfying, creatively speaking, than to design your own version. Here's the basic info: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/14066-needed-for-standalone-animated-werebeast/

Max stopped working and I haven't been able to get it up and running, guess I'll need to dl a newer version at some point.

----

@Diego,

The bone names really don't matter. If the anims are only going to be for one monster (ie werewolf) then the anims will just called the bones in the mesh.

But the names need to match for the guard rigs so they can all share the same anims.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

What do you guys think of the direction I'm going with this? Personally I think it's too much of a werewolf, the other one wasn't such a specific monster. So maybe use some different ears, shorten his hose or something like that.

I should have asked for your opinions a little earlier, but I can still tweak without having to scrap it completely.

iHvlBRkfJqEXx.jpg

It is a bit wolf-like at the moment. I agree shortening the muzzle would help, and maybe raising the brow higher. Is it just perspective or are the arms a bit short? They look like they wouldn't reach out much further than the head.

Interesting how different it looks from the front. The face looks far more human from that angle.

yep, most of it needs a lot of work. Lots of muscles to add, hair, bones, skin wrinkles, teeth etc. But it would be difficult to tweak anything you didn't like after adding details. Well, not difficult, but I would lose lots of added details since I'm working with 3d-coat voxels. The disadvantages of not having layers...

That's what I was going to mention. There's also a crawling version of this guy that's pretty scary, where he's really hunched over. I don't know what that necessarily means for the model, but something to look into.

I quite like the proportions of this one:

post-8474-0-59124000-1353671322_thumb.jpg

If you imagine your head there instead of the one in the drawing, I think the body sizes (ribcage and shoulder volume, arms' length and thickness, leg sections and their relative sizes (the foot being a lot smaller than the shin section, with the thigh area being the biggest, while in yours the 3 sections are roughly the same size)) would work very well and wouldnt be a lot different from the one that already exists (a more "erect" figure, if Im remembering correctly).

Great modelling so far, by the way!

• 4 weeks later...

Ah.. new energy and motivation with the new tablet!

This is the low poly model with normal and occlusion maps. It has 4444 faces (really). I rushed it a bit just to check if the UV seams were ok and rendered in Unity.

ivTpiuWkzqyJE.jpg

I'm not terribly happy with the fur and lack of details on the hands and feet. I was planning to fix them on the texturing, but I might continue working the high res model.

Anyway, I'm going for a partially hairy thing. I was inspired by a picture of a hairless dog I found on google :P

• Like 1

I'm really liking how it's coming along. Is it going to have a tail?