• Double Team
    • Modular Mapping
    • Creative Objective
  2. 2. Idea Group 2

• Assassination
    • Unusual Gameplay
    • Remove vote from Group 1
    • Remove vote from Group 2

Per popular demand and fllood's great work collecting these ideas, I am opening a poll to see which is the preferred contest.

There were no respondents previously about whether anyone was ready to join a contest but at least we can settle on

the theme now and perhaps another poll for the desired time-table.

Here is a link to fllood's post that has further links to descriptions of each theme:

http://forums.thedar...post__p__300358

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

You may vote for as many of the choices as you like. Please state your preferred choice in the thread so we can use that data as a tie-breaker.

I voted for assassination and creative objective of which I find the assassination more interesting.

Maybe an assassination contest in which extra bonuses are awarded for creativity: possibility of poisoning the target or 'accidents.'

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I voted for Assassination and Creative Objective.

My vote for Creative Objective should not be counted. I tried to vote for only one, but the poll wanted me to vote for at least one in each group.

I don't understand what "Remove vote from Group {1,2}" means.

Yeah, you should edit the poll to have a "none of these options" in every group.

Creative objective is my preferred choice. I would also like to see alternate reality a lot, however I consider that something hard to pull off properly, so there is the risk of participants droping out etc.

It's funny how the TDM community seems to want to make a good version of Dishonored, seeing that assassination is ranked so high. Something like that never really used to be a topic in the thief world. :)

For unusual gameplay, we already have a winner by the way: The Swing! ;) Congrats, Komag! ^^

I have long wanted to make an assassination-themed mission, waaay before Dishonored was even conceived as an idea.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I have voted for modular mapping, creative objective, assassination and unusual gameplay, although I would say that the second and the third are fitting into the unusual gameplay thingy

my favourite is modular mapping, although it doesn't seem to make the race here :unsure:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I voted for Assassination and Creative Objective.

My vote for Creative Objective should not be counted. I tried to vote for only one, but the poll wanted me to vote for at least one in each group.

I don't understand what "Remove vote from Group {1,2}" means.

In this case you would vote "Remove vote from Group 1" and that will tell me to take away any of your votes in that Group.

No need to bother with that now, it's not as if I am managing thousands of users here. I'll get your vote corrected. :)

I love mansions, and thus far in this mod, when people have built missions together, they have been great.

that's true, but this were always mappers of equivalent skill and part-taking

if you put some less experienced mappers together you may have the problem that it is hard for them to have a fitting work-together-flow

so although it's a nice idea I'm not sure this would work well

--nevermind--

Modular Mapping / Creative Objective / Unusual Gameplay

What could be neat for Modular Mapping would be the use of Tels' Swift Mazes.

If such a content happens, I will take part with exactly that. :)

If somebody else wan't to use it (contest, or not), that can be arranged - the code is now quite mature and I might even be able to pull of a "web service" where you upload your config and get a PK4 back. If there is interest, please PM me or post in the Swift Mazes thread.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Voted for creative objectives and unusual gameplay because I think TDM has a lot of room for experimentation with new worlds and lore outside strict thief conventions (shadowhide's missions are a good example of strong personal vision); and mostly, voted for a team contest - there is great potential in people joining forces to come up with a more complete work where one alone would have to compromise and simplify due to shortcomings. Not only that but it is my impression that many experienced contributors and mappers are too busy right now with various projects to devote themselves to a full mapping effort, and to participate in a team might be a good way to map without the whole load being on your back.

Oh well, why does everybody want to see some strange unusual missions, while we still don't have enough usual missions :laugh:

I feel the exact oppisite. Apart from Komags Swing and FMs by Fieldmedic and Shadowhide all TDM FMs are what I would consider "Usual missions".

I voted for manor Heist just so I could enter my next FM. If that doesn't win than I'd really like Alternate reality or Unusual Gameplay to be the theme of the contest.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

This is of course for the contest master to decide, but would it be fair to allow a mission that have been worked on for quite a while to enter the contest?

Surely the mappers should be roughly on the same starting line?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I think the mappers should be roughly on the same starting line so the quality of the maps can be fairly evaluated. Then again if I was a dishonest person I could have spent a year working on a racing simulator that takes place in Bridgeport on penny farthings. If unusual gameplay gets the win there's nothing to stop me saying that I started building it at the beginning of the contest.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

I've come to the conclusion that it's a rather high barrier to expect fully new missions to be

built in the span of a contest. (Plus neigh impossible to verify either way.)

I think that there should be some disclosure of what you created before the contest and

some self-regulation like releasing early rather than use the full contest period.

If it makes anyone feel better, the voting (by convention) usually has 3 criteria... one of which

is adherence to the contest theme. If you feel that a big part of the contest is how true a mapper

stays to the deadline, then demerit anyone who you think has transgressed that criteria

(by doing too much work beforehand, etc.) in the contest theme voting.

It seems "Unusual Gameplay" is the top contender but I am concerned that it may

have gained votes because of the screwy forum limitations (and my own lack of planning).

Shall we have another vote-off of the top 3 or 5 choices to be sure of the winner?

Shall we have another vote-off of the top 3 or 5 choices to be sure of the winner?

Sure, why not. But it may be better than if everyone could only vote for one of the choices.

[...] there's nothing to stop me saying that I started building it at the beginning of the contest.

If you feel that a big part of the contest is how true a mapper

stays to the deadline, then demerit anyone who you think has transgressed that criteria

(by doing too much work beforehand, etc.) in the contest theme voting.

I think this is a matter of honor :ph34r: . But if possible we could also make the contest a bit shorter, for example one month instead of three what seems to be the normal time. Then mappers who've already started mapping something could rest their current work to join the contest.

Maybe it's a good idea to make a poll about the contest time and/or ask how many of the people who are interested in joining the contest are already/currently working on a map.

it seems there has been a few more votes here:

the top 3 are unusual gameplay/creative objective and assassination what imo goes nearly all in the same direction, so we could stick with unusual/creative gameplay/objectives !?

another question: who is really interrested in joining a contest and whom of them have already started a map?

the last question may aslo be important in considering contest time, as you may not want to let your current work lie down for too long!?

donno

well, I'm currently working on a map but not making much progress these days so I would like to join the contest, if the length isn't too long

Yes I think it's close enough you could declare a contest on creative or non-traditional gameplay or objectives too, and just keep it broad and up to the mapper, and that'd fulfill most people's desires that voted that way I think.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.