The Dark Mod Forums

Unusual Gameplay contest detail poll

nbohr1more

Details  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should partially completed maps be allowed?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Preferred deadline

• 2 months
    • 3 months
    • 4 months
    • 5 months
    • 6 months
    • Other
  3. 3. When should the contest start

• Yesterday
    • Some day this month (December)
    • January
    • February
    • March
    • Later (other)

So the Unusual Gameplay contest idea seems to be the most popular and would allow most of the other popular choices such as Assassination missions to be part of the fun.

Now we need to know what terms folks prefer and when they can participate.

You can also pre-signup in this thread if you are confident you will participate no matter what terms are given.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

No partially finished missions! TDM needs quality missions released, not unfinished crap.

The contest enrollments could start ASAP, maybe start the contest on january, then end it three months later. Three months mapping time has typically been enough and mappers should not undertake too ambitious projects. New mappers should be encouraged to enter the contest.

What about enrolling with missions that have been under production for a while? This would be unfair towards those who start the mapping at the contest beginning. Some might argue that there is no point in such a rule since the mapper can always lie about the time they started the mapping. Still, it is a contest, everyone should be on the same starting line and some gentleman (or lady) -like respect towards fair competition should exist. This enrollment of already running mapping projects has to be clearly addressed somehow: allow it or disallow it, but make it clear so that people don't get sour feelings at the end of the contest.

It is unlikely that I'll participate in the contest as there is so little time nowadays: my WIP has been completely untouched for a while now.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Slightly off topic, but I just want to register the idea for future reference. A contest with free theme, the only demand is to finish something you started. I bet every mapper here has half a dozen unfinished projects and this could be a good motivator to get these released.

Edited by Diego

I'm with Sotha, finish it! 3 Months also is long enough - I'd even say less, but real-life always delays projects, so 3 months is probably better than 2 months.

As for starting, December (dark year time on northern hemisphere) is a good time, but with the holidays and so on it might not leave much time. OTOH, people might have time. So I voted "January" but mid-December would be fine (if it is 3 months, if the contest runs only 1 month, don't run it during holidays and ski vacation time!)

As for participating: I'd particpiate if I can use my framework to build the mission (there is still left plenty of work to do with designing prefabs, coming up with a story etc, and the framework itself needs more work, too), but then, others might find that unfair so I'm not bothered if I can't participate - I have so little time, anyway.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

My vote matches majority opinion, and I don't have much to add to what's been said. Three month deadline starting mid-December or so. Winter break will be an issue for some people, but a good thing for others, but a deadline like April 1 make sure everyone gets in 3 months of time even if they're busy over the holidays.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Well, I'd like to join the contest, even if I may only come up with a small-sized map as for the other things I'm working on!

I think three months is ok

As I'm one of those who has plenty of time over the holidays I would benefit from a starting date mid december, don't know how it's for other possible participants

Let's get this party started.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Oh. My apologies.

The "partially finished missions" question was about whether entrants can enter the contest with a pre-made map

that is partially finished before the start of the contest. Not submit a partially finished map as their entry.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

As for participating: I'd particpiate if I can use my framework to build the mission (there is still left plenty of work to do with designing prefabs, coming up with a story etc, and the framework itself needs more work, too), but then, others might find that unfair so I'm not bothered if I can't participate - I have so little time, anyway.

Don't know what the others thinking, but I would have no problem with that. In fact, I would really like to see what you've accomplished so far. I'm really curious. :smile:

We may also make clear what fits into "unusual gameplay". Changing the gameplay or using unusual objectives is clear so far, but what about an unusual level setup.

I barely remember a T1 or T2 FM where you have to climb ub a giant tree or the train mission in T2X.

Edited by Obsttorte

Oh. My apologies.

The "partially finished missions" question was about whether entrants can enter the contest with a pre-made map

that is partially finished before the start of the contest. Not submit a partially finished map as their entry.

wow, everyone got that wrong lol

If I may suggest something, let pre-made maps enter. Finishing maps should be encouraged, in my opinion.

• Like 1

wow, everyone got that wrong lol

If I may suggest something, let pre-made maps enter. Finishing maps should be encouraged, in my opinion.

got that wrong, too

just thinking loud: Letting people enter with maps they've already started working on shouldn't be such a big problem, as long as they let everybody know if and in which amount

IMO gameplay or in reference to the contest theme unusuality isn't something one can enhance much with more time, but visuals or "eye-candy" is definitely

so if the latter for example would be taken into account for the votings it would be useful to know the rough amount of time that went into it

one the other hand: three months aren't always three months, as one participant may only have some hours at weekend he can effort into mapping while an other can map every evening, also experience is something that has a high impact on what you can make out of the given time

so all in all I would say: don't be to harsh with this "not yet started"-thing :smile:

Edited by Obsttorte

I'd keep my "no" vote for already-started maps, because contests are about generating new content on a short timescale that wouldn't have been worked on otherwise. But it's not a big deal, and practically speaking it might only apply to one case or so, if that, anyway. But my vote is still keep them out.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Unless of course walking around in a non hostile environment due to being diguised as a guest counts as "unusual gameplay".

I would think that counts.

If people think that the idea for my FM fits the theme of the contest then I'll enter. However I do intend for this to be of simular size to VFAT 1 and I'm not sure if I can build that much in three months. I suppose the worst case scenario is that it still gets released but at a later date. I haven't started yet so the no pre-existing work stipulation wont be a problem.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

As it's a change to the normal gameplay-mechanics, yeah it's definitely fitting.

Ok then. I think I'll put my big map on the back burner for a while. Then I can learn more mapping skills and not feel rushed to get it done.

Surely you are going to feel more rushed creating an FM for a contest with a deadline instead of an FM that has no deadline? How goes the Pagan Village map by the way? I assume thats the big map you are referring to?

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker