The Dark Mod Forums

Apples and Peaches: Obsttorte's Mapping and Scripting Thread

Obsttorte

Status update on my FM rebuild: Detailing is almost done. I need to place a couple of objects, loot and set up readables, puzzles and ai.

While building I had the strangest bug of all time: I had an internal leak, causing a visportal far out of range to always be open. After a while I figured out between which areas the leak is appearing, and did some checking to find the leak. The result was quite confusing. The leak was a worldspawn brush, thus meaning that the red line of the pointfile has gone directly trough a worldspawn. Not trough the sides or the edges, no, right trough it.

What is much more ridiculous is how I solved the problem. I textured the worldspawn with caulk and then retextured it back to how it looked before. Voila - problem solved. :ph34r:

Don't know if anyone ever encountered such behaviour. :blink:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Don't know if anyone ever encountered such behaviour. :blink:

Yes, I've seen it.

That will happen if a texture on any of the brush's faces is:

a - unknown

b - a non-sealing texture (like "shadow")

When you calked the brush and repainted it with a sealing texture, you eliminated the problem.

No, you've misunderstood me. I've put exactly the same texture on it as I had before and it solved the problem. And it's a sealing texture btw.

It's hard to know for sure without following the dmapping line by line to see what it messed up before that's fixed now. Something about the dmapping changed, if only even the order it grokked the surface for all we know. Very curious mystery of the DR universe anyway.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Last status update for tonight: I made good progress and finished detailing. All loot is placed. Normally I change the loot amounts to detaily plan were the player can find how much loot, so I can set the loot objective appropiate. This time I just placed them as it came into my mind. The result is a very high loot amount :smile:

The next steps are: monsterclipping, placing doors, ai and readables. Basically that's it. A little script thingy and the objectives as well as a map are open, but they don't take much time. I hope for a release til the end of the week :smile:

Here's a DR shot:

post-11230-0-71688200-1367704214_thumb.png

OK. So here is the ambient fog scriptobject.

That's excellent Obsttorte! That might get rid of my headache softening the ambient without the fog boundery issues. Some short tests in my WIP are very promising so far.

Thanks a lot!

flood_aft_2013-05-04_23.48..jpg

• Like 1

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

I can't see the image :unsure:

But glad you like it. I think Tels did something similar for his swift-mazes, but I can't remember how he has done it.

Yep, nice to here you like it.

I'm going to change the script a bit, so it is not necessary to set the spawnargs in every location. I'm also going to add the possibility to disable the fog in a location. I'll upload the changed version this evening or tomorrow.

Yes

You'd need to place the fog spawnargs obsttorte mentioned earlier on all location separators

Yap and dupplicate the info location_setting entity as one entity can only have one scriptobject assigend.

That shot looks amazing flood!

Thanks Biker! It'S an incomplete WIP snapshot of this scene with some bells and whistles still to be done. However the atmosphere I'm aiming for is already visable. Obstler's fog script add well to that.

Yes

You'd need to place the fog spawnargs obsttorte mentioned earlier on all location separators

On all info_location entities, not the seperators.

Btw: Playing around with SEED

post-11230-0-51865100-1367856228_thumb.jpg

These are more then 6000 decal patches. What do you think how long I needed for this? :smile:

• Like 2

On all info_location entities, not the seperators.

Btw: Playing around with SEED

post-11230-0-51865100-1367856228_thumb.jpg

These are more then 6000 decal patches. What do you think how long I needed for this? :smile:

Pretty damned cool. It's great to see SEED getting practical usage. I know Grayman would have a thing or two to

say about hand-placing those decals.

Grand, I shall go have a look at the script.

Cool deal, (see above) the args need to be on the entities not the separators.

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

This is nice work. It appears to solve the problem of crossing from a fogged area to a non-fogged area and back again, w/o encountering the nasty fog borders.Good work.

Yes thanks for this Obs and welcome to the team btw :-)

Cool deal, (see above) the args need to be on the entities not the separators.

Ah thanks for the heads up.

It's great to see SEED getting practical usage.

Yep. I used it in Builder Roads, too. All those grass at the outside ... would've been cumbersome to place them all by hand. The above shot was just a test, as you can see on the texture usage, so it's still not perfect. Maybe I can setup a better looking example; something one would really place that way in a mission, to advertise this functionality a bit. As far as I can tell it doesn't seemed to be used very often in FM's, but it saves a whole load of work. And due to the randomness applied on it, it looks a bit different for everyone :smile:

Searching AI's that are grabbing the next available torch

Hello everyone. I'm very happy to present you two little scriptobjects that are able to establish a special ai behaviour, as previously announced. Maybe I should first describe what they are doing.

One object is used on ai, the other one is used on torches. If an ai using the first scriptobject is into AlertState 3 or 4, thus meaning he is actively searching the player but can't see it right now, and is within the range of a torch using the second scriptobject, than the guard will move towards the torch and grab it, to use it searching the dark corners.

Setup: It's pretty easy. On any ai that should be able to grab torches, set the spawnarg "scriptobject" "torch_ai". On any torch that should be grabable, set the spawnarg "scriptobject" "grabable_torch". Both script files need to be placed in the script folder and included via the tdm_custom_scripts.script file. That's it.

To make the ai aware of the torch the script uses a stim. However, if you've already defined custom stims in your mission, you can change the stim number used by placing the following spawnarg on worldspawn: "torch_stim" "X", where X is the number to be used.

You may also note that this is a beta version of the code. The torch added to the ai's hand is prop_torch_gothic_on, so it makes sense to use it with a gothic torch (the small one). I will change that later on. In addition, the script doesn't really check if it makes sense for the ai to get the torch, thus meaning comparing the positions of ai, torch and the player. This behaviour will be implemented later on.

But basically it works and I hope you have as much fun checking it out as I had writing it :smile: Cheers.

grabable_torch.script.txt

tdm_torch_ai.script.txt

Could this script be added to the main code and then let mappers activate it with spawnargs? It would be great to have it work like relighting lights...mappers put a "use_lights" spawnarg on AI with a range of 0-1, and set torches as "usable" "1".

After searching, does the AI put the torch back?

Could a variation on this allow unarmed AI to pick up weapons and use them??

Exciting. :)

After searching, does the AI put the torch back?

No, they keep them. But as said, it's beta, so I can add this behaviour. I could let it be controlled by a spawnarg on the ai, so mappers can decide whether or not they should put it back.

Could a variation on this allow unarmed AI to pick up weapons and use them??

Hmm ... picking up the weapon isn't the big deal. What is more problematic is, that civilians wouldn't be civilians anymore and that they need some sort of skill set IIRC. All of this is spawnarg controlled, but only some spawnargs can be changed on-the-fly with the desired effect. I will test it and post a scriptobject if it works.

Could this script be added to the main code and then let mappers activate it with spawnargs?

Shouldn't be very problematic. AI are already aware of light sources due to the relight thingy. They can also differentiate between different light types (electric, torches, etc ... ). The main thingy is the entity model replacement. If you take a close look, you'll see that the hanger added isn't exactly the same as used by the torch entity (basically the texture is different). So to make this look good we would need proper hanger models for all possible torch types. In addition the anim used is only a workaround. There is a anim for using the right hand (for example used when putting buttons/switches), but none for the left hand. Don't know enough about this topic to tell if the right hand anim can somehow be just mirrored, as I guess the models, or more precise there skeletons, are symmetric?!

There is already a left-hand open door animation for AI with weapons out...should work for this as well. I could probably make an appropriate animation (haven't tried installing Maya since upgrading to Win7 yet). The models wouldn't be a problem either. I'd be happy to help with that.