The Dark Mod Forums

L.A. Noire

Baddcog

I know people have played it but i just got it so...

It was on sale yesterday for $5, $7.5 with DLC on steam and i've heard good things.

Just loaded it up and played for about an hour this morning, wishing I had preloaded on the laptop now as i sit here twiddling thumbs at work. Would be a great game for work, can pause every 3 minutes if i need to, doesn't need super precise mouse controls.

Seems like a great storyline driven, mellow gaming experience. Fun to search for clues and interrogate people.

Failed one mission learning how to brawl (gotta hold left mouse down the entire time) and almost died in my first shoot-out (again learning controls, getting in and out of cover). But other than that it's pretty smooth.

The characters have great facial expressions and it's cool to look at topics in your notepad then look up at them and see if they are sweating or playing it cool.

It's definitely a RockStar game. They always had the city driving/car action down pretty well.

Also cool that when you start to play an 'inspect' animation on an object you can back out instantly. Too many games lock you into the entire motion which can get very boring and repetitive if you accidentally click on things you didn't mean too.

on My i5/5850 the settings were auto at medium/high. i only changed from DX9 to 11. No noticeable stuttering or anything in game, maybe not the best resolution possible but i'm not complaining. Looks pretty nice over all. I think i will end up enjoying it quite a bit.

• Like 1

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

It's definitely a RockStar game. They always had the city driving/car action down pretty well.

Rockstar was only the publisher the game was developed by Team Bondi that went bust right after the game came out, there's some interesting controversies about why Team Bondi went bust.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Team_Bondi

Edited by HMart

Ah cool article, wasn't paying too much attention to the studio.

Which makes the game more impressive imo, being from Australia but really hitting the 50's in America on the head. The game really sucks you into the time period.

------------

Honestly though, I think they may have been influenced a bit by Rockstar, or at least Grand Theft. A lot of similarities (and I played all those on the console A LOT).

Anyway, I did find one thing that bugs me in game. You hit M for map, but to get out of map you hit escape which gives you a menu, then you hit esc again to return to game. Annoying when driving, trying to find hidden cars, etc.. and you need to look at the big map often.

Still, that's my biggest complaint so that's not too bad.

Also I noticed, Cole (the player character) is a REAL DICK. lol. I really don't like the guy. He's like the anti-Garrett which is funny since he is the law.

Has nobody played this? Or wants too?

I know it's not 'thiefy' but it really is a pretty decent game. It's actually got me wanting to try the T2 fm Thief Noir again. At the time that mission was released I guess I didn't have an appreciation for it for what it was (of course it was cool that it had a gun and the vintage look).

I'm finding the clue hunts and interrogations pretty fun.

=========

Have come across some bugs, nothing too serious. One cut scene after an explosion did lock up the game and made me redo an investigation from the start, slight bummer.

One funny bug was running up to a guy and shooting him point blank in a gun fight, at which time he froze standing up. About 20 seconds later he fell back on his ass, laid down, sat up a bit and pointed his gun at me, then fell back and died.

Your partner also can have a bit of a time getting in the car. If you pull away before he gets in he'll just stand there fed up with your childish antics. You either have to go to location at which point he'll be with you again, or get out of the car to reset the get in animations.

• 5 months later...