The Dark Mod Forums

Arcturus' animations

Arcturus

This version looks pretty good to me, at least from the video. There are only two things that stand out after a few viewings: first, the arms seem maybe just a bit restrained...I feel like they should be swinging just a bit more, but it's hard to say. Secondly, I don't know if you've done anything with the hands yet, but they should be a bit more relaxed and open.

• Like 1

I shortened the stride a little more, by one frame. I want to get rid of that slow motion feel. Arms move slightly more, perhaps still too little? I opened hands a bit more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYpBcqol9WM&feature=youtu.be

The new ones look good to me, but I have to admit that I see no difference from the old ones.

Compared to the current walk.md5anim, upper part of the body moves a little more, legs are more straight. If you take a look at 00:12
when idle animation takes control over the upper body, NPCs sway funnily. That's because pelvis bone is animated. I fixed that. Also shorter stride means that less likely NPC will take two steps on stairs which happens sometimes and can look silly.

Looking Good there mista!

Thanks!
  • Like 2

It's only a model...

It's better. I think the arm swings forward far enough. But it still seems a bit restrained when swinging backwards. It looks like the elbow stays bent, rather than the arm straightening out when it swings backwards. I tried to capture the backswing in the screenshot below.

post-9-0-16818300-1357251897_thumb.jpg

Did you try (just as an experiment) to speed the walking animation up a little bit? Maybe this does the slow-motion look go away? I don't know if this is conform with the player walking speed itself. Or maybe smaller steps but more? I don't know, I would experiment some more I guess :unsure:

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Since speed of translation (motion) of the character needs to stay the same, the only way is to make shorter steps. I already did that by shortening the animation by two frames:

post-2001-0-64913800-1357338507_thumb.png

But when I made it only one more frame shorter it started to look wrong. Another update:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwKRvzBSq-Q&feature=youtu.be

• Like 1

It's only a model...

The animation is good.

When one of the guards was coughing, the transition back to the normal walk cycle skipped (the arm suddenly blinks like 10 inches away)... Actually I noticed it for all the cut-in animations I could see. So the transitions could be cleaned up.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I shortened the stride a little more, by one frame. I want to get rid of that slow motion feel. Arms move slightly more, perhaps still too little? I opened hands a bit more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYpBcqol9WM&feature=youtu.be

Compared to the current walk.md5anim, upper part of the body moves a little more, legs are more straight. If you take a look at 00:12

when idle animation takes control over the upper body, NPCs sway funnily. That's because pelvis bone is animated. I fixed that. Also shorter stride means that less likely NPC will take two steps on stairs which happens sometimes and can look silly.

Thanks!

they definitely look more relaxed and natural

and then they burst into kungfu grip like this

)) Awesome Edited by someTaff

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

Since speed of translation (motion) of the character needs to stay the same, the only way is to make shorter steps. I already did that by shortening the animation by two frames:

Sorry to be a party pooper but the knee movement to me now looks odd. Its like the knee itself is flinching in/out and the Ai walk..?

[update] I just checked the first anim vid and the Ai are doing it there aswell, bah.

That one imo is perfect, looks relaxed, with a hint of pride. would not fit a beggar or lowerclass commoner.

Beggar shares animations with other AI.

When one of the guards was coughing, the transition back to the normal walk cycle skipped (the arm suddenly blinks like 10 inches away)... Actually I noticed it for all the cut-in animations I could see. So the transitions could be cleaned up.

I don't know if we can change number of transition frames.

Ok, I know the decision has been made, but now I look back at video with 34 frames (test 02) and now I'm not sure again if it wasn't actually better.

35 frames: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwKRvzBSq-Q&feature=player_embedded

34 frames: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYpBcqol9WM&feature=player_embedded

The difference in length of stride is microscopic, but one has to better:

post-2001-0-28508700-1357397630_thumb.png

If you actually think the test 04 was best. I'll upload it.

It's only a model...

Beggar shares animations with other AI.

No, the beggar has a modified set of walk and idle animations.

The difference in length of stride is microscopic, but one has to better:

I think I'd have to see them side by side to appreciate the difference.

No, the beggar has a modified set of walk and idle animations.

Ok, you're right. Now that's a slow motion.

I think I'd have to see them side by side to appreciate the difference.

I made a video, but there's practically no difference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ealpabt1BuQ&feature=youtu.be

I'll just upload the latest version.

EDIT: uploaded.

• Like 1

It's only a model...

I think it looks fine, although the hand seems a little more relaxed than the original version, which seems to be gripping the torch tighter. I think I prefer the grip of the original.