The Dark Mod Forums

Thievery-Mod for Unreal Tournament

SeriousToni

titlebar.gif

I did play this Mod for the game Unreal Tournament with a friend together on a online server a couple of days ago and I was blasted away. They used models and textures from the original Thief games so it really feels like you're playing Thief.

The great thing is, that there are two teams: Thieves and Guards. The Guards must defend the loot / locations / objectives and can be played by players and AI (the AI is pretty good I believe) and the Thieves are played by players.

Both teams can buy special equipment and weapons. There are over 50 maps as far I can see and some traditional maps (Baffords e.g.) included.

It was really cool to guard Lord Bafford's mansion and place the other guards at critical points or send them to roam the mansion while my friend tries to get in the house (there are more entrances as in the original mission).

If you want to try it you only need a copy of Unreal Tournament and install the mod. You even can meet other players here or in the Black Cat Forums so we can play together, haha! :laugh:

Try it out - it's really fun, even alone! :)

http://www.thieveryut.com/

http://forums.blackcatgames.com/index.php

AquatoneBarBig.jpg

GeromeBig.jpg

GrangeHallBig.jpg

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I've played this a year ago or so and yeah, it is really funny. But as far as I recognized it they are not working on it anymore. Hmmm, maybe I'm wrong.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I saw this game back in the day, but I was way too addicted to TFC, Quake 2 and Unreal to try it online. I did have a look around the maps though and the developers really nailed the atmosphere perfectly. The Unreal universe was already a fitting place for a game like this due to the dark, spooky environments and fantastic sound quality. (wind, water dripping, etc)

The main problem with multiplayer games based on light and shadow though is that the guards can just crank their gamma up really high. Does it have a method of preventing this? Perhaps you go invisible if your lightgem is dark? In Quake 1, the pitch-black shadows were really black, so cranking your gamma up wouldn't help you see that spy playing dead in the corner. :)

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

They make use of the cloaking effect if the player's lightgem is completely dark. Obviously this dosn't make you really invisible, just hard to be seen on long distances.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Hehe, there is no gamma cheat in this game :D If the player is in the dark, he gets invisible for the enemy players :P The developers solved this very good for both player sides. The thieves must be silent walking and keep themselves in the dark, and the guards must pay attention and guard the right places. It is a very good mod I think.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/thievery-ut/videos/thievery-tenth-anniversary-intro-map

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

A few months ago they released a 10 year anniversary version. So it has been updated recently. I downloaded it then, but when I went online I didn't see other people on, so I didn't know when to play it. But from your comment it seems there still are people doing it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I played this when it first came out and it was a lot of fun. SeriousToni is right about the visibility, the Thief player character gets progressively more transparent in shadow until you're completely invisible in the darkest shadow, and this was balanced by the Guards being able to shoot you with a crossbow flare bolt to keep you lit up for a limited time.

They didn't use any of the original Thief assets, this was a total conversion although some textures were clearly based on the originals.

I still remember my favourite maps, Flats, Bourgeouis, Folly and Grange. Although it was a lot of fun, the drawback to the Thieves vs Guards game type was that from the beginning of each game the human guards of course knew there were thieves around, so guards would often immediately start running around attacking any shadow they could find etc, and the pace of the game was a lot faster than a traditional thief game (whether this is an actual drawback is a matter of opinion). Co-operative Thief always seemed like a more authentic Thief experience, so it's a shame there aren't more players of the Thief2 multiplayer patch, at least when I tried this out.

Still, would be fun to go back and try out Thievery again, maybe we could get enough taffers from these forums to set up a couple games for a virtual TDM meet :)

Edited by Midnight
  • Like 1

This is the best stealth multiplayer game I've ever played so far, but unfortunately I don't recommend playing it on your own, since the number of players is very small now and most of them are dickheads(and I am saying that on purpose because they are impolite, and keep screaming and flaming.) But if you have friends(each game is 2vs2 gameplay) and wish for a multiplayer stealth experience - This is your best bet.

I played thievery for a moment but it was waaaay too clanky...

It's good to see that some of you have found Thievery. I still occasionally play but have found through trial and error that it's best to play with likeminded people...

They were in the process of updating Thievery with Night-Blade (based on the UT2004 engine and then later on the UT3 engine) but it was canceled. Before it was canceled I thought about joining their team but by the time I got around to it the project was gone which is a pity because Night-Blade was unique and would have added a very different dimension to the "Cloak & Dagger" genre.

I think there's something very cool about playing with and against human beings, AI is good but for me organic opponents makes it a much more dynamic and rewarding experience. I'm in the middle of making a "Cloak & Dagger" mod and have often lamented that we should have added multiplayer options from its conception, c'est la vie...

Edited by Jetrell

Anybody in for some multiplayer experience? :)

Download the anniversary version and join us :D

EDIT: Nah - don't downlaod the anniversary edition - use the 1.6 thievery. The anniversary didn't work properly for me o_O

Edited by SeriousToni

• 1 year later...

In case people are still interested. Thievery recently has been updated to version 1.7.1. It also seems that the community is growing again. People usually come together during afternoon (UTC) on weekends and now and then there are games in the evening on work days.

You don't have to join the game to see if somebody is playing, just use this server browser:

http://thievery.ovh.org/

There also is a Steam group:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/thieveryut

• 5 months later...

Since Gamespy's shutdown Thievery servers aren't advertised on the server list anymore. But they are still up and running. There is a workaround to join them comfortably, see http://forums.blackcatgames.com/showthread.php?t=13685

You can still use http://thievery.somee.com/ to see if somebody is playing.

Edited by Hiradur
  • Like 2