The Dark Mod Forums

Dark Souls

Diego

Inspired by an LP video, I took off somewhere completely different - went back to Firelink Shrine, then took the steps and lift down to New Londo Ruins. Didn't explore there much (I've read about NLR), just picked up what I could in the immediate vicinity and then went to the dead-looking dragon in Valley of the Drakes. I woke it up before I could grab all the items near it but justjustjust managed to roll back along the path and survive with a teenyweeny sliver of health.

What happened next was, well, weird. I guess it couldn't see me, and because you're right next to a precipice there, I didn't feel there was enough room for me to try and take it in a 'fair' fight and so - I just started shooting it with arrows. And it just sat there and took em. No complaints, no roaring or lunging - this empty ruined shell of a once magnificent creature just sat there and slowly died as I pumped arrow after arrow into it.

So I killed it and got some really good stuff, but I'm confused cuz out of nowhere this game has made me feel sad and how did that happen? :( I'm such a wuss.

• Like 3

I think the Age of Fire happened. I hear that 'Nito' guy had a finger in that whole business. You'd like Nito though, he's a swell fellow.

That sword is awesome for a faith build as it has the Longsword moveset which I love in DS1 and the shield is pretty stable considering how early you can get it. They are both just very expensive to upgrade. My personal favorite shield you can get early as well, but I wont tell you why or where it is :P

My personal favorite shield you can get early as well, but I wont tell you why or where it is :P

post-9265-0-84299200-1401556407.gif post-9265-0-84299200-1401556407.gif post-9265-0-84299200-1401556407.gif post-9265-0-84299200-1401556407.gif post-9265-0-84299200-1401556407.gif post-9265-0-84299200-1401556407.gif post-9265-0-84299200-1401556407.gif post-9265-0-84299200-1401556407.gif post-9265-0-84299200-1401556407.gif post-9265-0-84299200-1401556407.gif post-9265-0-84299200-1401556407.gif post-9265-0-84299200-1401556407.gif post-9265-0-84299200-1401556407.gif post-9265-0-84299200-1401556407.gif post-9265-0-84299200-1401556407.gif post-9265-0-84299200-1401556407.gif post-9265-0-84299200-1401556407.gif post-9265-0-84299200-1401556407.gif post-9265-0-84299200-1401556407.gif post-9265-0-84299200-1401556407.gif

(j/k. From what I've read, one of the great things about DS is how you can make it through to the end with pretty much any weapon/shield combo if you like it.)

"Thus Gwyn, Lord of Sunlight, did say:

."

Aw, that's really sweet! (he said with not a hint of condescension at all, no, none) Read some of the comments for that video - had no idea what LARP meant and before I googled it, I wanted it to mean Let's All Really Play. Ah well.

Too taken up with RL at the moment to do much DS, but I'm toying with the idea of going back to an old gamesave. I think I've got one from after killing Havel but before getting to Undead Parish; I may try to get hold the Claymore more quickly and focus on upgrading that, plus I should have some lightning resin stuff (which I had completely wasted in bouts with the Taurus Demon; I may ignore him this time round too) which could be useful for the gargoyles.

I'm just aware that so far I've done a lot of grinding and cheesing mini-bosses, which has led me to being fairly levelled up but still lacking in some basic combat skills. Really seriously genuinely don't think I've done a backstab on an alerted opponent yet. :(

• Like 1

Heh sorry, I'm not too sure about what's a spoiler and as mentioned earlier, part of the joy in the game is discovering items and methods on your own. Don't wanna take that from you. :)

DS2 is definitely easier without a shield than DS1 is. I don't think I ever tried DS1 without a shield actually...

DS2 is definitely easier without a shield than DS1 is. I don't think I ever tried DS1 without a shield actually...

Everything but the Bed of Chaos is a breeze without a shield. I actually think DS2 is harder due to the distinct lack of invincibility frames in dodge animations. After playing that and going back to DS1 it felt like I was wearing the DWG ring constantly with the huge amount of invincibility you get on the rolls.

I did do a dex char in DS1 with the Uchi Katana and no shield, but only got it to level 85 for PvP. A certain someone with a big flaming sword sounds scary without a shield.

I think due to the fact that there's a lot more weight thresholds in DS2 and the animations are a lot better, I find dodging to be easier in that. After a while I stopped using shields altogether as they seem ineffective compared to "just doing it right". :P

Although I do love Great Shields, as their damage, stagger and knockdown effects are hilarious!

Edited by Kvorning

Only proper way to do it!

Generally that's the way to get better at PvP. Master the methods which are tough but effective. The problem in Dark Souls though, is the horrible netcode and cross-regional play. You have an option to turn it off in DS2, but it doesn't actually work.

Nothing is more disturbing in DS PVP, than to be invaded by some guy who hits you across the room with a sword and "backstabs" you from the front in the process, just because the matchmaker found you someone on the other side of the planet... Timings, skill and practice just goes out the window and all you get is ***xxDeathBlade2014xx*** doing the "lol 2 ez n00b" emote.

• Like 1

Achieved through sucking at it for long enough to git gud :unsure:

That's my gaming philosophy right there in a nutshell.

Timings, skill and practice just goes out the window and all you get is ***xxDeathBlade2014xx*** doing the "lol 2 ez n00b" emote.

Is there a "Just kill me now and get it over with" gesture you can get anywhere? (If there was, I'd probably wear it out if I stopped going around hollow.)
  • Like 1

Yeah I think you can do the "Come on!" or "Mercy!".

You do get some pretty epic battles with other players though in DS2. Had a 10 minute fight with a guy who dual wielded Evelyns and had a Mastodon Halberd, until he finally got me with 20% left over on him.

Not all fights are lame, not at all, it's just the occasional one where people purposely abuse network settings which bothers me.

Cheesy gear setups don't bother me at all however. That's a part of Dark Souls and I love when there's a meta game that constantly develops around what is considered "good". Personally I make my way through it by going for what I think could be fun, like power stance with whips :P

Yeah some things are probably not balanced, weapon and gear wise, but I hope they keep tuning the game.

It's difficult to figure out what actually works, without reliable network though and I don't think any network throttling software has a strong enough effect to be worth while. To me it's like using down-sampled resolutions. Results are too weak.

Edited by Kvorning

Gargoyles are down. Ended up being pretty easy with Solaire's help.

Now need to do the fish-slapping dance with Capra D and get into them thar Depths. :ph34r:

UPDATE: And he is down. Must've lucked out as I have no memory of taking the dogs out - just rolled up the stairs to the arch and waved my weapon around frantically between bouts of boosting my health. Had my usual success with a plunging attack on CD i.e. absolutely none whatsoever, found myself right in front of him and somehow managed to RT him to death before he got any decent hits in.

As far as technique goes, skillful calculated attacks came a distant second to madly flailing around with my claymore, but it worked and was still v. satisfying.

Edited by simplen00b
  • Like 3