The Dark Mod Forums

MechWarrior: Living Legends 0.7.0 released, devteam forced to disband

BloodShot

qKsDP.jpg

MECHWARRIOR LIVING LEGENDS, has released their final update, 0.7.0. As of today, no more development will continue due to legal threats by the current MechWarrior IP rights holders, the MechWarrior Online team, Piranha Games. The development team for MWLL, Wandering Samurai, has been disbanded.

MWLL won the 2009 ModDB Mod of the Year (and multiplayer mod of the year), 2010 and 2011 ModDB Honorable Mention, and were in the top 5 2007 and 2008 Most Anticipated Mod(s).

Full post and downloads:

Mechwarrior: Living Legends – Final Release; 0.7.0

z0oVj.jpg

wbzLE.jpg

lprJY.jpg

91F4N.png

ALGeG.jpg

EUJ9G.jpg

VgqTt.jpg

HKoEk.jpg

Ur3h8.jpg

There is a bit of good news, in addition to the release of 0.7.0 - MechWarrior Living Legends should be compatible with the free Crysis Wars demo. Some servers will allow demo players, but some will not allow them to join. So this means you can download the Crysis Wars trial/demo, and play MWLL online for free on those servers

I'm pretty upset at this, as a person who liked MWLL and was looking forward to MWO after it had some time to improve, I could care less about MWO now.

And unfortunately, the dev team even got a license from Microsoft to make MW:LL, so Piranha basically capitalized on how MWLL got a lot more people interested in the Mechwarrior franchise, made a game, and then shut them down to prevent competition. I mean this stuff has happened before obviously, but it's worse when something with so much effort and attention to community feedback gets closed right there, for a game that is arguably almost the same game but with way less polish and features.

Oh well, at least they are allowed to release their finalized stuff, but all the features nearing completion, like the Mech Lab, will never see the light of day.

You can download Crysis Wars for free from here FilePlanet: Crysis Wars Trial

It's a trial but it works with the mod on the official servers, which support gamers with trial versions

I wonder if this MWLL game had a working engine and netcode?

MWO has abysmal engine with poor performance, which doesn't even look very good. Netcode is notorious for rubberbanding. Players cannot start their own servers, but play on a US server with 200 ping, no EU server. Hit detection is not on the client, but on the server, which means you have to learn to lagshoot (deliberately shooting off the enemy and guessing where the server thinks the enemy is). Lagging is an advantage to the lagging player.

After my brief time with MWO I realised there are a lot of problems. Sure, it is beta, but still. If MWLL was a better performance, maybe MWO people saw it as a significant threat. If you look at the MWO community most of the people are crying/raging all the time about broken features and stuff.

They do not necessarily have to let it die. What they could do, of course, would be to simply detach from the IP.

"Mechwarrior" -> "Big Robotz & Lazors"

"mech" -> "bots"

"Jenner" -> "Napeoleon"

(and so forth)

Probably they would have to remodel the mechs as well.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

On the other hand, the Message from the Founders says that tere was no legal action of any sort. Honestly, I don't know what to think, but I'm sure that if there had been pressure from the IP owners, the MW:LL team would have said so.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Several devs from MW:LL on forums have said that Piranha was trying to get a C&D, but they'd rather keep bad blood down to a minimum with Piranha since they are letting 0.7.0 be released and allowing it to co-exist with MWO for the time being, but basically, it's almost like a "coverup" message.

Hell, the MW:LL team HAD a WORKING mech lab but they weren't allowed to put it in this release, and Piranha is actually going to be using some of their ideas for weapons in MWO.

@Sotha, having played both, the netcode is definitely much better in MW:LL then MWO in its current state - that's likely due to the fact that Piranha basically are trying out a completely different hit detection system that they wrote themselves, and it's very weak at this stage (I don't know if it's gonna get better). Also, MWLL will still get some small updates for bugfixes and such to polish this release, but they won't be allowed to add any new features and gamemodes like they originally planned.

And Sotha, the "switching" thing isn't exactly feasible because of the tons of models they would have to remake to not resemble mechwarrior things. Every single gameplay asset would have to be redesigned to not resemble battletech at all, which would require a humongous amount of effort to do.

Some screens I took while playing

screenshot0053fa.jpg

screenshot0054b.jpg

screenshot0034v.jpg

screenshot0047p.jpg

screenshot0040c.jpg

Edited by BloodShot

MWLL is a mod for Crysis Wars, so its running on the Wars fork of CryEngine 2 (MWO is CryEngine 3). MWLL allows hosting your own server, and there are dedicated US and EU servers. After changing Ultra Autocannons from rocket code to bullet code, hit detection with autocannons is far better now (for example, I can hit with UAC's on the Funbocks servers with 330 ping, with 220 I have difficulty hitting with anything on MWO. AFAIK Funbocks servers do not require authentication (and as I know the guy running them, I know why), but IIRC most of the official ones do. Still, even US players can enjoy Funbocks, it's just the Pacific players left out, but with no ping limiter and the aforementioned rocket to bullet code swap, even Pacific players can still enjoy the game.

The mod is far more content and feature complete than MWO. It has combined arms with a decent roster for all except Battle Armour (2 news were completed, and lacked only the flash coding in the buy menu to become available to use), multiple vehicles, aerospace fighters and vtols, and of course, Battlemechs. While I'm not exactly boycotting MWO because of the shutdown of MWLL, I felt no draw to play MWO even before this due to complete lack of.... anything to do. You can only tweak your derpboat in the MechLab so many times before that aspect gets boring, and I'm not a huge fan of the way so many games sell Skinner box press-the-button-get-food mechanics to sucker people into investing enough time and money into a product to become reluctant to leave when dissatisfied (especially YOU, MMORPGs).

TL;DR

Right now even after content production has stopped and new features crammed into the final release are a bit buggy, MWLL > MWO to a large enough degree I don't expect MWO to be able to compete for at least another half a year, if not year.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Just incase anyone else is curious, the full install procedure is roughly as follows

1. Install Crysis WARS (NOT Warhead, or Crysis 1). When you buy Warhead, WARS comes with it as a seperate DVD (for retail), or download (via steam/origin/whatever)

1a. If retail, download and install the 1.5 patch for WARS

2. Load the game up, use an existing gamespy account, or create a new one, and join a WARS server to make sure your cd-key gets validated

2a. step 2 may no longer be required, there is also the cryhammer tool somewhere on the mwll forums that checks your key validity.

2b. rumour abounds that certain bockses of the fun do not require a legit key, making this mod playable on the free Crysis WARS trial available at Fileplanet, iirc.

3. Download the 4mb installer file, this will download and install 0.6.0, then 0.6.1, then 0.7.0 in sequence

4. Play the game!

@psychomorph you need to install 0.6.0 and 0.6.1 first, 0.7.0 was released as an incremental update, not a full replacement release.

Edited by Xarg

No problems, that version is automatically updated to the right version. Have you finished the mod download and tried to play?

Edit: If you have a cd-key problem, try cryhammer.

Edited by Xarg

Ok, where to get 0.6.1? The changelog is in the description of the download page, but no link. Also can't find on google and their news posts. Confused, why things can't be straight forward and easy?

Okay, a site had a link to a site with a link to the 0.6.1 download. Sigh.

Wait a sec, the MWLL Auto Update does install and update all automatically from 0.0.0 to 0.6.0, over 0.6.1 to 0.7.0, according to the Update plan of the updater. Hmm.

Edited by Psychomorph

The auto updater should do all 3 of them in a row. There are links to the archive files for people who have problems with the autoupdater, and for when there was a 2 week server outage a while ago so all new people had to do it manually.

It was non-time based and non-revocable... apparently the non-revocable part wasn't very. I wouldn't put too much stock in what Steam says, they aren't even saying it, it's something they're linking from a news site.

It's got some issues, which I'm hoping the dev team can release a hotfix for, but it has great promise and I've enjoyed most of what I've seen so far.

The lesson here is if you're an indie team, don't even mess with IP you don't own, even if you have a license if it could be taken away. If you don't have 100% control, I wouldn't even roll the dice given the easy option of just using different IP for basically the same game... I mean at the start of development, not now. This lesson has been reinforced so many times that they really should have known better from the start. We started the same time, or even earlier than they did & knew better. At least they were able to polish it up and make a final release. And it does free them up to possibly work on a new game, who knows...

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

The lesson here is if you're an indie team, don't even mess with IP you don't own, even if you have a license if it could be taken away. If you don't have 100% control, I wouldn't even roll the dice given the easy option of just using different IP for basically the same game. This lesson has been reinforced so many times that they really should have known better from the start -- We started the same time, or even earlier than they did & knew better. At least they were able to make polish it up and make a final release. And it does free them up to possibly work on a new game, who knows...

Amen to that.

Also, it should be added that they used an engine that will never, ever, be open sourced. That too meant, the project's lifetime was limited. Still it must be a great pain to the developers to see all that work flow down the drain: since there are no more updates, the game is played for a while and then it dies out.

The gods of stealth praise the TDM dev team for it's wisdom and foresight!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

CryEngine 1 (FarCry) was opensourced last year I think... but if you look at the time difference between game release and engine open sourcing, you'd be looking at somewhere around 2017 for CryEngine 2 to go open source.... the gods themselves would have to keep the mod going that long and bring the dev team, or a similarly skilled set of individuals, together to make anything happen there. That's before you get back into the thorny bush if IP.. TDM has the benefit of not being an IP-based work.. that is, it's not a Thief mod... it may play quite similarly, but it's not using Thief IP... MWLL unfortunately is using the Battletech IP, so unless MWO goes tits up before then, it's unlikely that could revive the project. Sad, really.

If PGI keeps going down the road of screwing their supporters over, MWO might die, but I won't count on it, since people didn't even seem to notice that when MWO was in "closed beta" they were basically paying 120$ for a broken, unfinished alpha - and for open beta it's still pretty borked too.

Also the MWO forums are hilarious. Anyone mentions MW:LL and people will say the game is Shit, and then someone defends MW:LL with a legitimate argument and people call that person childish

On top of that, the community moderator responds to anyone who thinks that MWO caused MWLL to shut down literally with "Prove it"

a ton of replies, and he quotes the post, and says "no proof!". I didn't know they allowed 12 year olds to moderate.

Edited by BloodShot

Those forums are a waste of time. The amount of Stockholm Syndrome openly on display provides some amusement that is far overwhelmed by how sad it is.

When I launch MWLL I get a black screen, than 8 flow something error pop-ups, than menu is constantly reset to windowed low res, joining servers crashes game. Things as usual. No idea what to do and don't really have the time to screw around with it. Hope there's an easy fix, but doesn't look good. When I click the "repair build" button in the launch menu it says version is outdated and needs to be updated to 0.6.1 while in the game it says current version is 0.7.0.