The Dark Mod Forums

Sleeping Ai missing sounds:

Bikerdude

Started seeing this in the 1.08 updated version of business as usual, thought it was my map. I then created a small test map and sure enough the same issue is present.

Sleeping Ai are making beeping noises when we should be hearing snoring etc and is there a work around for this..?

Has a bug tracker been logged for this?

I haven't noticed this. The beep shouldn't play even if the sound file is missing.

I thought we fixed it a while ago so it didn't beep when it couldn't find a sound?

Ok, ive still got my little test map, let me see what sound file its complaining about.

Warning: couldn't load sound 'tdm_ai_builder2_sleep.wav' using default.

Why are some of the Ai trying to use these sound files ..? I assume there is a way I can force the correct one, or failing that over write the default sleep sound..?

What vocal set does that AI have? I searched all the builder ones and can't find any reference to that sound.

Ok so I started looking at this,

Looking at the Ai, 'atdm:ai_nobleman02_unarmed'

1. That Ai uses the "atdm:ai_vocal_set_lord_civilian_01" vocal set.
  2. The def file "tdm_ai_vocal_sets01.def" and "entityDef atdm:ai_vocal_set_lord_civilian_01" has no sleep section.
  3. The "entityDef atdm:ai_vocal_set_lord_civilian_01" shows it inherits from "atdm:ai_vocal_set_lord_guard_01" (again no sleeping section defined)
  4. "atdm:ai_vocal_set_lord_guard_01" shows it inherits the "atdm:ai_vocal_set_base"
  5. "entityDef atdm:ai_vocal_set_base" and found the line "snd_sleeping" "tdm_ai_builder2_sleep" under the comment (// AI state transitions)
  6. I then checked the "tdm_ai_builder2" vocal set and there isnt a sleep section, but there is one for the tdm_ai_builder3.

I tried adding the sleeping lines from builder 3 to builder 2, no joy. I then deleted that file and changed both change the line in the "atdm:ai_vocal_set_base" def file to builder 3, but this time I got a message about "'tdm_ai_builder3_sleep.wav".

So where the hell is the game trying to look for the sound file..?

Ok, that sounds like the problem. The base vocal set is referencing an old builder vocal that doesn't exist anymore. I've uploaded a replacement to SVN.

In the meantime, see if you can just add "snd_sleeping" "tdm_ai_pro_sleeping" to your AI.

Ta

As the issue dosent just effect one particular Ai, I just copied the corrected base_vocal_set def file to my FM (and it it works)

If I want to use for example the builder 3 sleeping vocals, would it be a simple as adding the ones from the builder3 to the lord .sndshd..?

Curious this wasn't caught before 1.08 went out, but I suppose better late then never we caught this before 1.09 eventually gets released.

Curious this wasn't caught before 1.08 went out,

It only affects certain vocal sets. Considering that we have less than half a dozen active testers, I don't find it surprising at all.

It only affects certain vocal sets. Considering that we have less than half a dozen active testers, I don't find it surprising at all.

Conceded, but considering how many FMs that have sleeping Ai I would have thought it would have been picked up. That said I did do a bunch of 1.08 with testing along with the team so conversely, I myself should have spotted this.

Well atleast we have a quick fix for mappers and player untill 1.09 is out etc.

Yeah, I've had plans to create a character in a nightgown for a long time now. Just never got around to it.

Ah, now I get it.

Hmm, wouldn't it be nice to give guards the ability to lay down there weapons somewhere when they are going to take a nip. I just imagine the player to steal his weapons and if the guard wakes up :laugh:

Just kidding.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

For the mood of the realistic, could not be to solve, that the civil people_nation piszamábam, let them sleep in a nightgown? quite foolish, that they sleep in dresses.
Yeah, I've had plans to create a character in a nightgown for a long time now. Just never got around to it.

Ah cool, I'm guessing this would be a skin or some such for for the nobels..? And what would we do the other Ai, would thier skin change to clothed or would they just run around in thier bed clothes?

It would be a new character mesh that you would select for characters who have already gone to bed. There's no functionality to have them get dressed when they get out of bed, though you could probably fake something with a well-timed teleport.

• 1 month later...
In the meantime, see if you can just add "snd_sleeping" "tdm_ai_pro_sleeping" to your AI.
As the issue dosent just effect one particular Ai, I just copied the corrected base_vocal_set def file to my FM (and it it works)

@Springs, just tried your suggestions on an Ai in Anoott (Im helping with Nhat) and it didnt work, so will have to go with my fix.