The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Builder Roads by Obsttorte (2013/01/19)

Obsttorte

Evaluation  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay

• Poor
    • Moderate
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. Aesthetics

3. 3. Story

• Poor
    • Moderate
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect

It took a couple of reloads of a saved game before it would accept the correct number

Can you be specific as to what happened?

I used the water arrow to put out the torch the guard was carrying and all he said was "What was that sound"

Normal behavior. AI don't get upset when their torch is doused. They just get rid of it. I'm interested, though, if they reacted to the unlit torch hitting the ground, or were reacting to something totally unrelated to the torch dousing.

One guard kept bobbing up and down behind the table

It's tight in that area. The guard doesn't have any room to maneuver.

Specifically after trying several combinations I hit on the right one but it didn't work so I kept on trying different ones.

I then reloaded and it worked first time.

Without saving I then left the game to modify my post here but when I returned to the game I put the correct code in again and it didn't work.

I then reloaded a couple of times and the last one it worked.

To follow up I have just completed it on the hardest setting collecting all the loot and I had no problem with the combination that time but I did change the combination a bit slower so whether that had an effect I don't know.

The last loot to collect was in the bar downstairs and I hit a couple of glitches - getting loot without being spotted was extremely difficult but that isn't a glitch

As I had used both my water arrows to get the loot off the table I used a normal arrow to knock the candle from the bar which alerted the guards but they didn't see me so eventually they settled down but one sat in mid air

post-8491-0-80494600-1358712327_thumb.jpg

also the loot in the cashbox under the bar - one of the coins is very dfficult to get as it is very close to the front of the box

The problem that you've seen here is a waypointing problem. I guess I should have let more place here, sorry.

According the code-enter-machine, or whatever it is called.

The problem is, that the numberwheels need some time to finish there movement. So I made them unfrobable while they are moving. The problem is: if I choose the unfrobable-time to short, you get errors like here, but if I choose am too long, it get's annoying to the player.

I guess I have to change the method used for rotating them.

But yeah, it definetely helps if you put in the combination not too fast. :smile:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I think this is the standard behaviour. Hmm, I didn't change anything one the guard. The only guess I have that could cause this difference is

that the guards in Old Habits were elite guards, this one here is not.

Who knew.

Congratulations on the release Obsttorte! Just started playing

as a thief sneaking upstairs and realized I had no weapons so thought "maybe I'm not a thief" and proceeded to stroll into the bar and was skewered by both patrons quicker than you could blink an eye :laugh: . Did it again and this time I heard them wonder if they'd seen something. From reading here I'm guessing that I'll find weapons outside somewhere? Off for a look see now.

Thank you.

Have just voted - to explain the lower score for story

That was almost entirely down to the fact that it wasn't very long which is unfair I know as with that length of mission it isn't really possible to have a detailed story

The thing which amazed me is how difficult it can get with only two guards in a restricted area and one of them with a torch and that is even though the patrol routes seemed to be scripted and not random

Overall I really enjoyed it and the first time round it would have taken less time if I had actually read the new objective instead of trying to work out where the second key was from the diary.

One thing I found on the second run through which I thought was rather amusing was

the man with the trots who kept having to go to the jakes in the bar (he even forgot to close the door to the jakes behind him)

Edited by Oldjim

Hmm, I appear to be a bit stuck. I feel like I've been everywhere I can find,

<p> but I have a couple keys that I don't think I've used yet. One was on the priest's belt, (starts with an "O"?) and now I'm blanking on the name of it.  I've been down the elevator to the number box, but have no clue what code to use.  Haven't seen anyone with a torch either, so I assume I've missed a door somewhere.<br></p><p></p>

The only remaining locked door I can recall is one on the priest's desk.

Hmm, I appear to be a bit stuck. I feel like I've been everywhere I can find,

<p> but I have a couple keys that I don't think I've used yet. One was on the priest's belt, (starts with an "O"?) and now I'm blanking on the name of it.  I've been down the elevator to the number box, but have no clue what code to use.  Haven't seen anyone with a torch either, so I assume I've missed a door somewhere.<br></p><p></p>

The only remaining locked door I can recall is one on the priest's desk.

It sounds like you're referring to the "Orderly Room" key. On the first floor of the outpost, just past the chapel, there's a locked door. Try that key on that door. Inside that room, you'll find a clue to help with the vault code.

Edit:

The guard with the torch only appears in "shadow" (Expert) mode. If you've already used the elevator, then you've already used the key you grabbed from the torch-less guard version in "taffer" or "thief" mode.

It's tight in that area. The guard doesn't have any room to maneuver.

I'd recommend author use monster clip liberally. They can still swing their sword through it, etc... So if you have a cramped little room, just clip it out more. The guard can still trap the player or whatever.

• Like 1

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

OK, finished:

Was a fun mission. Small but nice layout and some great details. Visually very nice (though a few minor nitpciks ... mainly curved stairs were a bit sloppy ;) )

Bugs though:

Not a bug, I don't think... I could find no way into the priest's desk. I had to no clip and blind frob for awhile to find the diary.

-- but...

1st, I no clipped around a bit 'cause I wasn't finding the guard with the key. There is a door outside, big fancy metal trimmed door. It's just for looks but the guard was hanging out inside it. Needs monster clip!!!

He couldn't be seen and he wasn't moving. He only walked out of the door when I startled him by no clipping. Then I got the key and moved on...

2nd, Since I hadn't got the diary I had finished all objectives but they hadn't checked off. (well, the loot was unfinished until I went back towards my room)

Make them check off when complete, don't make reading the diary a prerequisite. (whether or not a bug fix is needed for the desk)

(those objectives were finding the book, mainly I guess) (also loot, not being seen, return to room... but I guess those wouldn't be tied to the book and new objective of finding keys)

But still, the keys will most likely be found before finding the diary, so reading it shouldn't be required

@Baddcog:

The guard with the second key only appears when you've read the book. The area where he is standing is no bug, he is intented to wait there until the player reads the diary and finishes the first objective by doing that. The diary just lays on the desk and can be easely frobbed. I never had any problems with that, neither had any of my testers.

Regarding the objectives:

You can only get the second key needed if you've read the diary. And without both keys you are unable to finish your other objectives. So the only objective that should be finishable before that is the loot objective. I'm a bit surprised that it didn't check. I'll have to take a look and check that out.

I'm a bit sad that things turned out not working for you. On the other hand I must admit that I didn't took the possibility of noclipping into acount when creating this mission. ;)

I hope you give it another shot, and if so, things work better. :rolleyes:

Edited by Obsttorte

I just looked and the loot objective works as suppossed. I really have no idea why it didn't for you. :blink:

Wow , thanks Obsttorte , look forward to playing this tonight. :D

Nice mission, some good challenges along the way and an interesting story. I love how the outside areas look curvy/hilly and not so square as most outside areas in missions look. There were also some good hiding spaces created for the player instead of dark areas, that worked well. I loved stealing a key from a Builder while I was beneath him under the stairs. :D

That was excellent! :D

Played on "thief" difficulty and, despite loading a few times, it wasn't frustrating. My main difficulty was

realizing that the other guy with the key was one of the patrol guards. I found that accidentally! he was passing by and I pickpocket a key out of him, which gave me the 'objective complete' message.

Finished this up late last night and found some areas quite challanging.

I liked how the outside looked with the hills and grass. Your map turned out to be much bigger than it seemed at first glance. The trickest spots for me was the inn (while having limited water arrows to put out lights and having to stack the crates to get the three bottles. The latter I had to do in the light as I had finished and found myself short of loot so went back in checking those spots I hadn't looked that hard at (all the overhead shelves) but had already used all my water arrows. So with guards patrolling both areas it was tricky.

All in all I enjoyed this map and will be replaying on a harder setting. Thanks for all your hard work Obsttorte. Look forward to more from you!

Thank you all. Nice to see you liked it. :smile:

I just looked and the loot objective works as suppossed. I really have no idea why it didn't for you. :blink:

-----------

Well I guess it didn't check right because i couldn't find the key for the desk (I already pulled 2 keys off the priest, guess i figured there wasn't another nearby). I only noclipped because I was stumped and read here that a guard had a key. Instead of running through the whole mission looking for him a 3rd time i no clipped. That's when I scared him out of his hiding spot and grabbed the key.

so when I went back to regular playing and finished the objective it still hadn't checked, until I got the diary...

Sounds like you have it set up right, I just couldn't find that desk key and found no clues hinting at it's location.

IMO objective keys should have a clue or be on someone, etc.. You know, something fairly obvious. I take it that it's probably on top of the priests bed which seems like a fairly random spot (I've climbed on top of every bed in every other mission until this one and never found anything ;) ) Someone could wander around the whole map 5 times and never stumble on it (that's ok for a secret loot stash).

Still was fun, I'm sure i will play through again at some point.

I also found the forced no see a bit rough, seeing how it was only medium difficulty. I usually play on high (and try to be as stealthy as possible but forced ghost is not fun). I recommend making those optional objectives. Then if the player fails they feel bad and can reload if they want, but it's not automatic. (It made me lockpick several doors more than once).

Regarding the points mentioned by you:

You don't need the key. I don't know why you think so. The diary you have to read just lies on the desk. The key is just needed to get some extra loot.

No See: This has gameplay reasons. Actually the mission is designed for ghosting. You can see this for example in the fact, that the number of guards is pretty low. The both guards in the inn can be ignored. The inn keeper on the outside spends most of the time in his bed (unless you alerted him). So actually you have one builder guard patrolling the church and one patrolling the barracks and the officer with the key who appears after reading the diary. So in the worst case you encounter two guards at a time.

Another reason for this decision is the story. After you have stolen the tome, you go to your bed in the inn and wait for the next day. Wouldn't make much sense to do that if the guards have identified you ;)

Actually I still have some ideas left that could flow into this mission. If I should ever make a new version of this FM, I'll surely extend it a bit and will therefore adjust the objectives, to make things a bit more comfortable. :D

The guard with the second key only appears when you've read the book. The area where he is standing is no bug, he is intented to wait there until the player reads the diary and finishes the first objective by doing that. The diary just lays on the desk and can be easely frobbed. I never had any problems with that, neither had any of my testers.

Actually, I had a problem with that area before getting the diary...I walked around into the light, and the guard saw me and came charging _through_ the door. I had no idea what was going on since I couldn't see anyone before he came bursting out.

I can't believe I missed the Orderly's room! I walked right past it multiple times, and even searched the wall _opposite_ it to see if there was a door in the shadows Anyway, once finding the book in there I was able to solve the rest of the mission.

Overall a very enjoyable mission. A few minor issues here and there, but very damn impressive for a speed build. About how many hours do you think you put into it during the two weeks?