The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Builder Roads by Obsttorte (2013/01/19)

Obsttorte

Evaluation  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay

• Poor
    • Moderate
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. Aesthetics

3. 3. Story

• Poor
    • Moderate
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect

Actually the guards will only attack you when you get close to them. That's why the popup message appears. As long as you are just going to the privies, they are fine. :smile:

Edited by Obsttorte

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Having great fun with this one ! Putting boxes in front of the inn door and builder door opposite whilst the AI were inside. Moving around at my leisure now!

I just tried that in The Heart of Lone Salvation and eventually the guards knocked the boxes out of the way -it looked as though the interaction between the guards and the boxes moved them a bit and each time they tried it was moved a bit more until they could get past.

I suspect that with a long narrow corridor it wouldn't work that way.

Is there any way to stop that being done as it rather mucks up the mission

Two possibilities:

• do not add moveable crates to the mission
  • make them damageable and add a stim to the AI that causes damage if it touches something (don't know if that works)

Another possibility would be to just don't do that. :smile:

I think there's a "bend down and pick up crate" animation that Springheel did at my request.

Just a really rough mock-up of one for development purposes...it's not really usable.

Obsttorte, thank you for kicking off the new year of TDM right! This was a fun mission. I played it last night on the Shadow difficulty...very challenging, and I am afraid I had to reload more than usual, but it was wonderfully challenging! :) You do have a bit of an evil streak, putting that second

special key on the guard with the torch.....very tricky to get that away from him!

I'm amazed you pulled all that together in a few weeks. I liked the sloping yardwork and foilage. Does that use the SEED system?

I'm missing 75 loot (1475 out of 1550), and I'm at a loss where it could be. Here's some of the trickier or more easily overlooked loot that I did find:

Three wine bottles on the balcony at the inn. Cashbox behind bar. Stuff off card table. Hidden loot behind fake books on the desk.

Has anyone found all the loot? Does the total amount of available loot change with the difficulty?

I didn't use water arrows until the very end, back in the inn, and four arrows made that very doable. The two guards merely muttered about the wind, and wondered "what was that?" sound when one arrow knocked the candle on the bar to the floor.

11 pockets picked

stealth score of 2 :D

Thanks for making this fun mission.

Thanks a lot ithel. :smile:

Does this use the SEED system

Yep, it does. Actually there around 1500 grass entities in the mission. Would be quite cumbersome to place them all by hand. :smile:

According the 75 loot you are missing I bet you can find them

In the barracks. If you enter it via the door that is closer to the church you'll come into a room with some tables and a stairway leading upwards. Half up the stairway it takes a curve. However, looking upwards you should see a place with some crates. There are three bottles each worth 25 up there.

You do have a bit of an evil streak, putting that second

special key on the guard with the torch.....very tricky to get that away from him!

Actually

the guard only has a torch on the highest difficulty setting

You get what you choose.

I'm sure I have the right code, but can't get the lock to respond.

DCLI is 651, so I've been putting in 0651, slowly, to no avail. I tried selecting the numbers very slowly and pausing some time before pulling the lever.

What might I be missing?

• Like 1

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Well, the number is correct. :huh: The automaton is a bit buggy to set up, so I guess this is my fault. Sorry :blush:

• Like 1

It's self written code and yes, it's a timing issue. As said in an earlier post the buttons handling the numberwheels become unfrobable for a certain amount of time to make sure the numberwheels can finish their move before moved again. Unfortunately it seems that I've choosen the amount of time a little bit too low. :blush:

Also, while the button is unfrobable, the nearest frobable button becomes highlighted, making it possible to from the wrong button if pressing fast. Then you end up moving a neighboring number on accident. Perhaps it would be better if all buttons become unfrobable while any number wheel is rotating.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Actually the guards will only attack you when you get close to them. That's why the popup message appears. As long as you are just going to the privies, they are fine. :smile:

I see where you were going, and the pop up did its job! But I still think it's unintuitive, when I played I didn't understand why they had to be left alone. And what exactly 'left alone' means? am I allowed to be seen or do I have to get near them? etc etc etc. These are not questions I'm making now to you, these are questions I was making while playing.

For this to really work it should be something like this: they stand up, look and point at the player and yell "you are not supposed to be here! you can use the bathrooms and your bedroom and that's it!" which, of course, means work of animation and voice acting.

Just to reiterate: I don't mean to nit pick, your mission is excellent! I'm just giving feedback as a player, telling you what was going on in my mind while playing it. I hope it's useful, if not it's ok too :)

Edited by Diego

It's been anounced here and is listed on the mod page. I guess it's quite hard to miss it. :P

Congrats' Fruity Pie for this mission! That had been fun to play.

You build this one in only two weeks? Amazing. Did you eat and sleep?? ;-)

Great archievement ...

Thank you Obsttorte!!

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

Did you eat and sleep?? ;-)

Yes :smile:

I mapped a lot over the last year. So I have a pretty fast workflow (sometimes). Overall it took me roughly 50 hours. Divided by 14 means roughly three hours a day. (Or let's say two hours between week and a couple of hours on weekend).

• 2 weeks later...

If the door isn't responding to the right code and you have no other save game I guess you can only noclip into the room behind the door where the number code machine is.

Sorry for the problems, though. I never had much problems using it. :blush: