The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Builder Roads by Obsttorte (2013/01/19)

Obsttorte

Evaluation  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay

• Poor
    • Moderate
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. Aesthetics

3. 3. Story

• Poor
    • Moderate
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect

Open the console window - press Ctrl Alt Tilde usually (on my keyboard the tilde key is the one to the left of the 1 key above the Tab key) and type noclip then hit enter then close the console window (Tilde key alone does it) then once you have passed through the door repeat the sequence and it will take noclip off

Edited by Oldjim

• 2 weeks later...

Not a bad FM; like a few others, I had similar problems with the code lock and was forced to use noclip. I also have to echo the complaint about the book not showing up in the orderly room - at the very least move it to a desk, don't put it on a book shelf where it'll just blend in with no highlighting, lol.

I also absolutely despise forced ghosting and it proved no small frustration for me, having to constantly spam the reload button the second someone suspected I was there. Make it an optional objective instead, please.

This mission was well crafted, though, and I enjoyed what little story there was. Nice work.

Thanks for playing my FM. Just a few remarks to ghosting:

• on the lowest difficulty you don't have to ghost
  • on the medium difficulty you only have to make sure you are not seen
  • only under the highest difficulty setting you should not be heard, too

As said this mission aims to be difficult and was designed for ghosting. If you don't like that, you can choose a lower difficulty setting. Making it optional isn't an option (because I personally don't like optional objectives).

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

• 2 weeks later...

Shin:

Challenging and replayable fun map!

Did a Let's Play playthrough video of it on Expert "Shadow/Ghost" Difficulty- and without using quick saves for the challenge ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vlr_Iup-LQ

Enjoy!

And great job obsttorte! ^_^

Glad you liked it and thank you for the video :smile:

Actually I did something to prevent the player from frobbing the purse in the little house with the sleeping guy from below the shelf. Doesn't seem to work perfectly.

Nice idea with the stool in the tavern. I've never thought of it when creating the map. But there's going to be changes to avoid such things without alerting the guards.

• Like 1

Glad you liked it and thank you for the video :smile:

Actually I did something to prevent the player from frobbing the purse in the little house with the sleeping guy from below the shelf. Doesn't seem to work perfectly.

Nice idea with the stool in the tavern. I've never thought of it when creating the map. But there's going to be changes to avoid such things without alerting the guards.

Np! Yeah I was trying to be "very, very careful" when moving that stool in front of the candle to create a shadow- without alerting the card players.

Let me know if you do a update on it and I can do a version 2 play-through video of it, if thats what you mean by changes. : )

I've meant changes to the mod itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Really nice and playable. Thanks for the mission!

Things that came to my mind while playing and have not been mentioned:

I thought I always prefered movables over static furniture and crates. This mission made me reconsider -- picking the purse off a guard who is sitting on a movable (thus, frobable) chair is overly complicated.

Another general issue is the default door sound. Does it really have to be on every door and any object with a moving lid?

picking the purse off a guard who is sitting on a movable (thus, frobable) chair is overly complicated.

Yep, not my best choice. :blush:

Another general issue is the default door sound. Does it really have to be on every door and any object with a moving lid?

Never thought about that I must admit. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Does it really have to be on every door and any object with a moving lid?

Yeah, I've noticed this sometimes - I close a box and jump out of my skin coz I think someone's walked in the room. Also seem to remember it appearing on jewelry boxes where it sounds very odd, but can't remember specific FMs.

Would a few more box opening/closing sounds be useful? Just done a quick search on freesound and there are dozens of public domain lock/unlock noises available.

Would a few more box opening/closing sounds be useful? Just done a quick search on freesound and there are dozens of public domain lock/unlock noises available.

Mappers could easily implement custom sounds, all it takes is finding some free audio, making an .ogg-file and writing a few lines into the soundshader. (And remember to attribute the sound creator.)

I sometimes look for extra sounds from freesound, but searching for really good ones is too time consuming because there is a lot of substandard stuff in there. That's why I often settle with the standard sounds that come with the mod. TDM sounds are good sounds, make no mistake, but they do get a bit boring after hearing them all the time, especially the default door opening sound is one of those which I have to hear too often.

What if we had some kind of link-list to selected good sounds? Everyone could add a link if they found a really good sound at freesound or somewhere. Requirement would be that it is free license. The sounds should be categorized somehow that it would be easy for mappers to page through and quickly find the best sounds. I dunno how that would be implemented: a forum thread would just be buried and forgotten. Any ideas?

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Lids are doors. It's up to the mapper to change these sounds if they have the desire and time.

In In the North, I varied the opening and closing sound on all doors (I think there are 6 of one and 9 of the other that are suitable for wooden doors), and changed all the footlocker lid sounds to nothing more than a "snick". But it takes a lot of time to do this type of work, and the mapper who's short of time might want to spend that time elsewhere.

There are plenty of door sounds to choose from in the mod assets. It's just an issue of mapper time/consideration.

Might be worth looking at the chest lid prefabs, however, as they could easily be given a different default sound than regular doors.

• 2 weeks later...

+ A bit on the easier side but it makes up for it with the ghosting requirement. Using a limitation to make things tougher is a good way of embracing the limitations of small missions. Putting to much AI would be unrealistic given the small areas and it would artificially amp things up, so this way we get something that makes sense and is challenging.

+I like the architecture

+I like the lighting

+I like that your a poor thief, makes exploring for weapons and items more rewarding.

- rurururururrrrrrr the code isn't working. Also that wooden door near the middle building a guard flies right through the door like a ghost as soon as I go near there.

- to short (TDM deserves bigger missions)

- to many keys to find

- to little loot for me

-IMA FIRING MAH ARROW OH SHIT NO KILLING....damn you. I play assassin style, no rules.

Edited by TheUnbeholden

+ A bit on the easier side but it makes up for it with the ghosting requirement. Using a limitation to make things tougher is a good way of embracing the limitations of small missions. Putting to much AI would be unrealistic given the small areas and it would artificially amp things up, so this way we get something that makes sense and is challenging.

+I like the architecture

+I like the lighting

+I like that your a poor thief, makes exploring for weapons and items more rewarding.

- rurururururrrrrrr the code isn't working. Also that wooden door near the middle building a guard flies right through the door like a ghost as soon as I go near there.

- to short (TDM deserves bigger missions)

- to many keys to find

- to little loot for me

-IMA FIRING MAH ARROW OH SHIT NO KILLING....damn you. I play assassin style, no rules.

I guess I don't have to comment the positive responses :smile:

About the negative ones (in the same order you've posted them)

• I know it's not optimal. I'll fix that once I find the time to make a second version.
  • It's a two week speed build (actually only a bit more then one week, as the rest has gone into testing it). I f you think you can do something bigger within this period of time, just go for it ;)
  • There are
    seven
    keys in this missin, of which you only need
    three
    to finish the mission
  • There are only
    three
    guards in this mission, including the "hidden" one. Killing one of them completely destroys the gameplay and would make things only boring. Also ghosting without a kill restriction doesn't make much sense IMHO. (the arrows can be used for distraction, although not really neccessary)

Anyways, thanks for your warm words. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Finished this on Shadow with a stealth score of 1 which I'm quite proud of since its the lowest stealth score I've ever gotten playing TDM missions.

Not that it was easy by any stretch, very emmersive, very challenging, still never got that desk unlocked in the church dudes room, but luckily found the box under the bar after retrieving the water arrows to finish off with enough loot to pass the 1200 mark.

Took me about 1:16 to complete it and yes I did quick re-load quite a bit because of the obnoxious guard with the torch (Sarcasm; I love those guys that come to ruin your party!)

I didn't have any of the affor mentioned issues with the combo lock mechanism and it was a pleasant puzzle I've never experienced in a TDM mission and great mechanics.

Only issue I experienced was on the "mounds" or patches the grass was placed on simply because of the player character movement and the abrupt angles at which the patches rose up from the surrounding ground. A quick crouching hop alleviated the issue however at one point I nearly got stuck between the ground and the tall stone wall. Just imagine how my butthole puckered as the guard approached and I was too well lit and sticking in the V of the wall/ground... but luckily it released me and I got to the darker area fast enough I wasn't noticed.

All in all, very good gameplay, interesting mechanics with the combination lever lock and keyed elevator, and very enjoyable.

Many thanks!

Edited by Lux
  • Like 1

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, the patches are not optimal, guess I'll have to fix that sooner or later.

• 2 weeks later...

Great Mission From What I have Played so far, Really good game play but no save system? I only made it to the church when I got stuck.

Here is a screen shot of where I got stuck, It`s between a bed a wall and a small table upstairs in the church:

post-20393-61223_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tr00pertj

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

Yeah I know, doh... Quick save Just used it, totally forgot about it thanks anyway.

Just started playing again after a year or more so picking it up all again but I did get stuck there. Console is usually Tilde key how do I bring it up?PS. Checked the keyboard settings just before the forum and my config is set to f4 to quick save.

Edited by Tr00pertj

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

Thanks AluminiumHaste

Go to your Darkmod folder where the darkconfig is, create a new file called autoexec.cfg and add seta com_allowConsole "1" to it.

Now when you run Darkmod, the console will always open with just ~.

• Like 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.