The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Business as Usual v3.0 (2013/01/19)

Bikerdude

https://youtu.be/fwJwNLRY4kg

"I am not enjoying my journeys, its so cold at the moment I imagine the chill could freeze a candle flame into a fire-gem and ole scratch's tears solid to his stoney face. Suffice to say, I'll be happy to get out of these whipping winds.

A friend has asked me to keep an eye on his place while he is out of town. That part of Bridgeport is quiet enough, but he has been having a few problems he would like sorted out. I will know more when I get there."

Build Time:
God knows, too many hours.

- As always espect to the Dark Mod team and for all the hard work they put and continue to put into it.
- Flanders for his excellent models and textures.
- Special thanks to the people that answered my technical questions on the forum.
- Beta testers: Oldjim, Lowenz, AluminumHaste, Greyman, nbhormore, McPhisto, Lost_soul, Pranqster and the original testers!

Info:
An update of the original Christmas Contest mission for TDM 1.08.

List of updateds:

• The Tavern has been tweaked for better path finding and the punter's all sit down better, the barmaid now has RITS and there is new tavern music
  • The south city gate barracks has a new room to explore, you have to climb to get to it.
  • The Hotel has been improved for better path finding.
  • The hotel apartment has been redecorated and a couple of new things for the player to interactive with and look at.
  • There is a completely new shop for the player to explore and loot.
  • Applied Grayman's winter breathing script, so when Ai are outside they all breath hot breaths of air :-)
  • The Thief's hideout was raised and tweaked for better game play.
  • All side alley's have been tweaked visually.
  • The north city gate has been visually improved.
  • I have added a few new locations for the player to climb to for loot
  • The objectives, briefing and readable's have all been tweaked.
  • All top facing external surfaces have snow texture applied (this took frikin ages...)
  • Added frost decals to every applicable window (this also took frikin ages)
  • I increased perf again through out the map
  • And finally lot of the bugs and issue and request players had have been fixed and addressed.

Just replayed that one on the highest difficulty setting. Took me 45 minutes and a stealth score of 15. Think that's ok :smile:

I really like the idea behind this mission. It's not the typical grab this item and get some loot on your way. It's a bit hard to tell what has changed as it's been a while since I've played this one, but I think at least

the gangster hideout in the sewers

is new. I liked it.

The optics are on a very high niveau, as we are used to whenever Bikerdude releases something. ;)

Maybe I add some things that I personally do not like so much:

There is no map. As the mission design let's you choose in which order to accomplish the mission and the whole setup is quite nonlinear, this FM really would benefit from one (yeah, I'm the planning kind of player).

The overall difficulty is quite low on the highest setting.

Similar to that it is relatively easy to fulfill the main goals, but getting all the loot on the highest setting really takes some time.

Obviously these are just some minor things and do really depend on the personal opinion. ^_^

Overall a great update to a fantastic mission. Thank you.

Edited by Obsttorte

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

What's specifically changed Biker, anything to do with gameplay or just visual polish?

Also like to know, a few missions were updated but the info in TDM doesn't say what. Some of them don't seem of have a version number in the list...

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Other than the winter theme and a new room design and a new options sequence and a few glitches fixed and the visuals improved the basic objectives haven't changed

Jim, these guys haven't played even version 2 I don't think, but if they have there are plenty of new things they wont be aware of.

... and a few glitches fixed ...

But not all. Sorry, Biker. :blush:

Jim, these guys haven't played even version 2 I don't think, but if they have there are plenty of new things they wont be aware of.

I agree but as far as I remember the basic objectives haven't changed

However I can really recommend replaying the mission if only for all the new visuals and objects which, in my humble opinion, have really improved the mission

But not all. Sorry, Biker.

Any that are left are TDM bugs, nothing I can or want to fix.

However I can really recommend replaying the mission if only for all the new visuals and objects which, in my humble opinion, have really improved the mission
Jim is one of the best beta testers I have worked with, so take note future mappers.

Also like to know, a few missions were updated but the info in TDM doesn't say what. Some of them don't seem of have a version number in the list...
What's specifically changed Biker, anything to do with gameplay or just visual polish?

Here is a list of ALL the things I updated.

• The Tavern has been tweaked for better path finding and the punter's all sit down better, the barmaid now has RITS and there is new tavern music
  • The south city gate barracks has a new room to explore, you have to climb to get to it.
  • The Hotel has been improved for better path finding.
  • The hotel apartment has been redecorated and a couple of new things for the player to interactive with and look at.
  • There is a completely new shop for the player to explore and loot.
  • Applied Grayman's winter breathing script, so when Ai are outside they all breath hot breaths of air :-)
  • The Thief's hideout was raised and tweaked for better game play.
  • All side alley's have been tweaked visually.
  • The north city gate has been visually improved.
  • I have added a few new locations for the player to climb to for loot
  • The objectives, briefing and readable's have all been tweaked.
  • All top facing external surfaces have snow texture applied (this took frikin ages...)
  • Added frost decals to every applicable window (this also took frikin ages)
  • I increased perf again through out the map
  • And finally lot of the bugs and issue and request players had have been fixed and addressed.

Any that are left are TDM bugs, nothing I can or want to fix.

I directly downloaded the mission via your link in this thread. Unless these glitches only accour to me, ... well, here is a list of what I roughly remember.

• The visportal in the tavern, that connects the lower and the upper floor, isn't working properly. It closes and opens when the trapdoor does, but if it's closed the trapdoor can't be seen from below. You can still frob the trapdoor, though. At least if you know it is there.
  • The door in the sewers that can be opened with the "sewer stairway key" IIRC clips trough some worldspawn on the wall when fully opened.
  • In the room where the mission starts, the objects in one of the shelves seems to be to low placed. If I grab one and bounce it against the others, they fell through the shelf.
  • There is a little house with a woman sleeping at the upper floor. In front of her bed there is a carpet that is floating in the air
  • The guard in the hotel is behaving strangely. He sometimes does not react to you if he sees you, but sometimes react to sounds. Even if alerted he sometimes does not attack you if you stand right in front of him in bright light, and sometimes he does. (I saw this behaviour already in v2)

As I said, these are only minor glitches, and I guess there were a couple more, but hehe ... that's for calling me a git. ;)

Edited by Obsttorte

Just started playing and this happened (see attached pic):

I went through this guys room and climbed up on the table into a light. I guess the guard saw me and came to investigate. The guy came out to the balcony first and then the guard. The guy said "Oh nothing here now and proceeded to lie down and go to sleep while the guard is yelling "You can't hide"

Sorry can't seem to get pics to attach in spoiler's.

Normally the AI interacts with each other, even if they are neutral to each other. Maybe a TDM bug.

Pics in spoilers: Use "add to post"

Here is a list of ALL (16) things I updated.

Biker, just a suggestion, but I would put this list in the first post. I think many casual players may just pass this new version by thinking the changes are superficial/cosmetic, when in fact you've added some significant new features and areas to visit.

This is a bug with TDM rather than the map.

I've seen this in other missions just thought it was funny. However there is one spot

in the tavern where the attic use to be that when I look up I see the sky. I took a screen shot if you want to see it.

Gonna get back at it now.

Just finished this up now and I must say I always enjoy your updates Bikerdude. ^_^

I like searching out for new things added like new rooms. The snow was a nice addition and loved your tree. Being one who likes all the loot I had to disturb the bar patrons but saved that for last. No point having that many more looking for me. I almost ran into the archer on the gateway but managed to get by him. Thanks for fixing the trouble spot on the pipe leading to the window. Also the many other things done.

I'm also including that screen shot.

Thanks for all your hardwork.

Edited by Thiefette

• 9 months later...