The Dark Mod Forums

Request - Terrified vocal set

RPGista

Revisiting my mission, I remembered that I was supposed to suggest the team the inclusion of a "terrified" vocal set for the AI (dont know if I have already). It is possible, in some missions, to see civilian or other human AI spotting and fighting with supernatural monsters barking out-of-place taunts as if the creature was actually the player (things like "Aha!", "There you are", or "You wont escape me now" or something similar).

A terrified vocal set would serve two purposes:

1- Give appropriate sound responses to harmless AI that the player is bullying/chasing/threatening (right now, if that happens, they will either freeze, run in random bursts, or play the cowering animation, with no sounds whatsoever);

2- Allow for more realistic/appropriate reactions to AI when faced with supernatural creatures like zombies or werewolfs - screams of terror for fleeing AI, melee sounds for fighting monsters;

To me this wouldnt need a lot of material - a few generic terror screams, cries and pleas (that could be associated with certain AI spotting either the player or a certain team of monsters), and a ) either some new barks for fighting monsters or b ) a soundshader dedicated to that in which all the inappropriate barks are excluded (keeping things like generic "Yaaahh!" sounds in there), for each vocal set.

Since adding sounds now to existing vocal sets would be very difficult (actors gone, etc), this request might only be aplicable (apart from suggestion b ) to future ones...

Edited by RPGista

Since adding sounds now to existing vocal sets would be very difficult (actors gone, etc)

I don't think one can differentiate if a "scream of naked terror" comes from the same person who has spoken all the other voice parts as long as the voice sounds a bit familiar to the original.

Actually, I like the idea (what are you planning :ph34r: )

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I don't think the answer is a separate terrified vocal set; just some additional vocal defs. Probably wouldn't even require recording new lines.

"to combat, generic enemy" At the moment all our combat barks are targetted at the player, but we could separate out the generic ones and use them whenever the AI is fighting another AI.

Probably would also need generic "combat winning" and "combat, losing" ones for monsters...would be kind of silly if someone said, "He can't even fight." to a zombie.

(right now, if that happens, they will either freeze, run in random bursts, or play the cowering animation, with no sounds whatsoever);

Right now there are already two different kinds of flee barks--"to flee" which is the sound the AI makes as he decides to run away ("I'm getting out of here!"), and "flee" which is the sound he gives while fleeing (Help, he's coming after me!"). If the AI isn't using them then something is wrong.

As above, we could separate out the more generic ones into a new vocal def to use when the AI run from monsters or the like.

If you want to make a tracker entry I could make new soundshaders. Someone else would need to handle the code part.

"to combat, generic enemy" At the moment all our combat barks are targetted at the player, but we could separate out the generic ones and use them whenever the AI is fighting another AI.

This would already work very well, just taking away the obvious mentions of the player character (anything involving references to a rogue, or that shows over-confidence coming from the AI).

Probably would also need generic "combat winning" and "combat, losing" ones for monsters...would be kind of silly if someone said, "He can't even fight." to a zombie.

It seems to me the builder characters are the best equipped for this type of situation, I remember them having several battle cries that would be appropriate (stuff like "Gods protect me" or "I shall smite thee with the power of the Hammer" and things of that sort). They would work both agaisnt monster, as well as human enemies.

Right now there are already two different kinds of flee barks--"to flee" which is the sound the AI makes as he decides to run away ("I'm getting out of here!"), and "flee" which is the sound he gives while fleeing (Help, he's coming after me!"). If the AI isn't using them then something is wrong.

Last time I tested this was in Demagogue's mission, you can isolate a civilian in a dead end and he would just stand there, sometimes calling out for help, and randomly playing the cowering animation (that action has no sounds associated with it). I saw that a lot in my playtesting days too, characters will behave and say things accordingly when they spot you, will keep calling for help, but they wont engage with you (even when you completely cut them off) - they dont really have a "eye on eye" set of vocals to try and negotiate their lives, things like "Please dont hurt me" or scared moans if you touch them, things of that nature. My point was that if we had a terrified vocal set, we could use the generic screams and moaning of terror coming from that to cover these situations. But that is a detail and not much of a priority.

If you want to make a tracker entry I could make new soundshaders. Someone else would need to handle the code part.

I'm not sure how to do that, will give it a try!

they wont engage with you (even when you completely cut them off) - they dont really have a "eye on eye" set of vocals to try and negotiate their lives

That would probably require some new code.