The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Crystal Grave v2 (by ERH+ and Bikerdude) (2013/02/09)

ERH+

Crystal Grave v2 (2013/02/09)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect. Outstanding.
  2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing ect.

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
  3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent

Played on medium the other day and was kind of wondering what some of the things were for until I read here so am going to play on hardest setting soon so I can experience all the mission was meant to be. It was enjoyable but I kept thinking that there was more so kept searching.

As for the wayward cheese that one was the first one I found as I went in from the roof. It confirmed what food I was looking for. The wrench was found shortly after.

Will comment more after I've played through again.

Edited by Thiefette

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+ I liked the geometry, architecture & colors of everything.

+ Moderate length

+ I liked the mirrors, water gate and other stuff I'm not used to seeing.

+ fairly difficult, the AI took me by surprise when the turned on certain lights. Thats a good feature more missions should take advantage of

much like that steam bot

- Buyable items ,eventhough the story says you lost them in the ocean.

- Maps where a nice addition although it quickly became superfluous because of all the running around double checking everything. I got the low down of the place from that. It takes item hunting to the next level to an almost paranoid level.

- Finding the last food item was way harder than it should have been.

- Lack of guidance, no hints or ways to find that hidden laboratory.

- Readables where lacking, I wasn't even sure why the place was haunted.

I found a secret area by no clipping, weird doesn't seem to be anything in there except some crystals in water and a weird alembic thing that would extract its gases for some kind of chemical.

• Like 1

I voted excellent for all of it - I had a great time playing this mod night before last, even tho' i havent been able to finish it because after hours of searching I need 2000 loot and only found 1905 - but I did everything else except leave. Funnily after reading some of the posts the most difficult part was finding the 4 cheese pieces - that was the first objective I got.

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome mission! Thanks for this. I love the sparkling stars on the night sky, always love realistic night sky, but the stars could have been slightly smaller, they looked a bit too large. The texture-modded sky in Thief 1 is probably the best night sky I've seen in games, more realistic than Crysis and whatnot.

Dark mod works so well, it always does what I want it to do. Climbing is reliable, etc. Except that crouching and standing up should probably be on key press, not key release.

Oh btw, I had quite the frame rate drop on the roof facing the mill to the north east, then I climbed up the window. Appeared only a couple of times later in the game. Maybe it was something on my end.

Edited by Psychomorph

Dark mod works so well, it always does what I want it to do. Climbing is reliable, etc. Except that crouching and standing up should probably be on key press, not key release.

You can do that, it's called crouch toggle I believe, it's in the options. I use it myself. I have 'C' bound to crouch toggle.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

You can do that, it's called crouch toggle I believe, it's in the options. I use it myself. I have 'C' bound to crouch toggle.

I use the toggle. What I mean is that you hold the crouch key down and it does nothing, only when you release you crouch down. Likewise if you are crouched and press and hold the key it does nothing, only when you release it you stand up. Maybe it makes sense, I don't mind to have a slower crouch/stand up if it is more realistic or maybe it's sort of a safety so when you press the key and a haunt walks in, you can keep it held, and remain crouched until the haunt walks buy, but I still think the function should be triggered by the key press, not release.

A key press usually involves 1) Key down and 2) Key up. You tap the crouch key to crouch down, and tap the key again to stand up.

It sounds like you want some hybrid of hold crouch and toggle crouch, where you press crouch key and you start crouching on Key Down event. I don't know if that's doable though.

My only problem with crouching is in water, when I can't reach ladder because I'm too short and can't evaluate level. I know this small frame around light gem rise according to crouch but it is too small/ dim.

I guess I could modify (change colour or something) this element by my self and add to some fm.

Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif

You mean you can't tell when you are crouching when in water? Hmmm, maybe crouching in water should be turned off completely? Can you crouch in the original games in water? I can't remember. I thought pressing crouch in Thief1/2 just made you sink underwater.

A key press usually involves 1) Key down and 2) Key up. You tap the crouch key to crouch down, and tap the key again to stand up.

It sounds like you want some hybrid of hold crouch and toggle crouch, where you press crouch key and you start crouching on Key Down event. I don't know if that's doable though.

Look, in most games that I played you push the key down and the function is performed (jump, crouch, etc), either you instantly release the key or keep it pushed if you like, the action was performed already. In TDM you push the key down and nothing happens, you can keep it pressed and nothing will ever happen, because the function is performed when you release the key. Perhaps this has a reason, to make the crouch less twitchy, but it feels off, when I want to crouch I want to push the key and to do the action on push, not release.

Anyway, this has little to do with the FM, so I will probably address this thing in an appropriate thread later.

• 7 months later...

Just finished this on difficult.

My thoughts are the following:

+Very unique setting and objectives.

+Freedom to explore and multiple ways to get to a certain place. This mission is absolutely nonlinear, and this is awesome!

+The introduction story of the mission was very well done.

+This was the first Inventor's Guild oriented mission that I played, and I liked the premise, the Steampunk machines and the interiors.

+I was really surprised to come across with a Steampunk patrol robot. It was very cool, and reminded me of the bots in Thief II: The Metal Age.

-The shop in the beginning was weird and confusing, because it makes no sense in the context of the story.

-The readable materials were nice, although I think you could have added some more.

-Certain objectives need clues, like how to get the wrench. It took me a while to find it, and it was very boring entering in the same rooms over and over after it, and in this case, the size of the map becomes a problem.

-There's a boat with a little water inside, but why can't I use it?

-IMHO the way to obtain the water was weird.

-I heard a request for help, but I found nothing.

-I found a caged spider, but what is the purpose of it? Some readable material next to it would be really nice.

-One of the keys had a copy. Why?

In conclusion, as Ryan101 said:

Still, I liked this level overall because it looks good and feels good. It just doesn't always play good, lol.

Edited by Jon Irenicus
  • Like 1

*The shop is probably confusing for players because they know how trip ends, then they choose what they take for it.

*On other side, some people don't like readables.

*Actually, location of the wrench is on one of readables, but I got your point.

*In real life, boats sometimes just start to sink when you put some weight on it -old boats have structure of sponges, you don't need big holes.

*Water is contaminated, you need... oh wait it would be more historically appropriate to use wine or beer instead of boiled water.

*It is good if encounters rise questions if it build curiosity, bad if it build disbelieve. Sadly I can't foresee all of questions player will have.

*And why keys can't have copies?

Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif

*The shop is probably confusing for players because they know how trip ends, then they choose what they take for it.

*On other side, some people don't like readables.

*Actually, location of the wrench is on one of readables, but I got your point.

*In real life, boats sometimes just start to sink when you put some weight on it -old boats have structure of sponges, you don't need big holes.

*Water is contaminated, you need... oh wait it would be more historically appropriate to use wine or beer instead of boiled water.

*It is good if encounters rise questions if it build curiosity, bad if it build disbelieve. Sadly I can't foresee all of questions player will have.

*And why keys can't have copies?

Sorry, I meant no disrespect.

• 10 months later...

Alright, finally played this mission. It was immersive and fun. Loved all the pipes and vines and chains (especially the short chains) outside the... building (as well as many other details like the secret-ish areas (and secret area where I found my 9th bonus crystal)). Immersion only broke when I got around the map 5 times and couldn't, like many here, find that one exclusive piece of cheese (and it was insult to injury when I couldn't just take any fish or apples or bread or whatnot from the well-stocked kitchen). Though, even before that, I went to some places multiple times while still finding new areas of the map cause the layout is so maze-like (but 3-dimensional). And that is why I am overall glad that the AI weren't difficult, otherwise that would end up being very annoying, as I am absolutely horrible at melee combat so I wouldn't just be able to get rid of everyone (I did manage to kill one of those guys though, but he took most of my health and I never managed to kill another person with my remaining health again).

Could have used a hint or two for some items within the map to make the story a little less distant from the player and more interactive, if you will, though it was a rather believable place on its own. I liked the setting from the start, I don't think I've seen anything quite like it before. Now I think I should have rated the story a little higher. But hey, looking forward to seeing something unique from you again sometime. Thanks for the mission!

Edited by Thor

Fantastic mission!!! Verry enjoyable...

The lantern bot did not really do anything. I was expecting it to raise alarm or something when it encountered me, or something like that. Also when I attacked it, it bled and died; it did not break.

Furthermore when I moved the bot it sounded like dragging a human instead of a metal object..

• 5 years later...

I ran into a bug early on where I lost access to my inventory and nothing was frobbable any longer.

edit: the first time it happened I was able to get as far as the chapel in the fortress, and then couldn't get out because I couldn't frob the doors. I then started the mission again and now, from the start of the mission,I have no access to my inventory and can't open any doors.

Edited by thebigh

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle