The Dark Mod Forums

Steam for Linux Sale on now...

Baddcog

Fuck Linux

lol,

Once again I decided to try dual boot. This time Ubuntu 12.04... i dunno. Actually installed off a usb stick easily enough and on another HDD partition of it's own. And it shows up UNDER Win7 so I can boot up and walk away and not go straight into Linux instead of windows (major pet peeve in the past). Now I can choose it ONLY if I want.

So as far as that goes it's OK...

But still. Try to install steam from the steam DL page... some missing/broken lib6 crap... UGHHH

So I find Steam in the software manager, have to sign up for a 'purchase' DL (even though it's free... UGHHH). Then try to DL and there's some incompatibility missing something or other and no info online...

Instead of Linux they should just mail you (or tell you to find) a brick you can beat against your head when it's time to do the simplest of simple things. It would be more fun and you'd be more productive.

• Like 1

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Fuck Linux

lol,

Once again I decided to try dual boot. This time Ubuntu 12.04... i dunno. Actually installed off a usb stick easily enough and on another HDD partition of it's own. And it shows up UNDER Win7 so I can boot up and walk away and not go straight into Linux instead of windows (major pet peeve in the past). Now I can choose it ONLY if I want.

So as far as that goes it's OK...

But still. Try to install steam from the steam DL page... some missing/broken lib6 crap... UGHHH

So I find Steam in the software manager, have to sign up for a 'purchase' DL (even though it's free... UGHHH). Then try to DL and there's some incompatibility missing something or other and no info online...

Instead of Linux they should just mail you (or tell you to find) a brick you can beat against your head when it's time to do the simplest of simple things. It would be more fun and you'd be more productive.

Don't blame an operative system on your own technological impairments and baby duck syndrome.

Linux systems are delightful once you get acquainted with them. Just give it a little more love and make sure your dependencies are in order.

Also, lotsa linux friends around these forums, so "fuck linux" messages may result in sour replies.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

If packages are missing you should download and install them. ;)

Dunno why this so often seem to cause problems. You should install BCDEdit. Via this freeware tool you can change the bootmgr or however it is called and than both distros will show up upon booting.

In addition I don't think it is a linux issue. It is more certain that windows is overwriting the bootmgr thingy so you start finding it cumbersome having both OS, blame it all on the nerd OS Linux and stick to the good old windows. :mellow:

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Lol, funny responses.

Believe me I've gone through this like 4 times.

The problem with Linux? You HAVE to want to spend time working on your OS to use it. Sorry, I don't have a computer to work on the OS just so I can use things, I like to actually be able to install things that are supposed to be installable and work.

ie: Steam. There's a steam DL on their page that's made for Ubunutu, they specify the Ubunutu page specifically. I dl it and install and it says there's a problem but I have to be a linux nerd to know how to fix it because they sure as hell don't give me a clue what it is. It says 'this is broken' and that's it.

So I use the Ubuntu dl manager and download steam. Again, I'm getting an installer FROM LINUX SUPPORT. And it doesn't work.

I also chose the 12.04 package of Ubunutu, not the newest one (and it says 'supported for 5 years/stable). Yet I can't even dl and install a simple program, when I try I get an error saying something doesn't work and when I search google I get no results. Tell me, without being a linux nerd or wanting to spend time fixing it how am I (as a user) supposed to know what to do?

So yeah I got linux baby issues or whatever. But I don't want to grow up into a linux nerd, I just want an OS that isn't chock full of problems and issues at every point.

------

And 'fuck linux' should only get you bound up if you have OS issues. Seriously, do you do linux programming, is it really that close to your heart? It's a freaking OS. Don't be so sensitive.

Don't blame an operative system on your own technological impairments and baby duck syndrome.

Lol, 'technological impairments. Not everyone is a computer nerd, I actually go out in the world and do things. I've spent a LOT of time working on TDM. Good thing I had Windows, otherwise all I would have ever done is futz with linux distros, reinstalls and trying to figure out why even a simple linux dl'ed .exe won't work.

Not everyone is a computer nerd, I actually go out in the world and do things

That's a nice extrapolation of what I just said, and a very cool way of stereotyping linux users . I'm not a "computer nerd" either, and I also go out in the world and do things. I've started using Linux about an year ago. Ubuntu was my first distro until I finally settled with Debian, and I must say I never ever found it to be an inconvinient Operating System. Sure I took a while to get used to the repo system, but that's only because I came from a pure windows background. That phase is called baby duck syndrome, and it has nothing to do with the OS in question being harder to use. It's just different.

I've spent a LOT of time working on TDM. Good thing I had Windows, otherwise all I would have ever done is futz with linux distros, reinstalls and trying to figure out why even a simple linux dl'ed .exe won't work.

Had you been born and raised Linux and you would be saying the same thing about windows. Just because you can't take the time to understand something, that doesn't mean it is bad. It's just you overreacting over your own inability to deal with basic things.

Edited by zergrush

Had you been born and raised Linux and you would be saying the same thing about windows. Just because you can't take the time to understand something, that doesn't mean it is bad. It's just you overreacting over your own inability to deal with basic things.

Actually you are wrong. If I had grown up on linux and jumped to windows I would have pushed 'install' and steam would be installed and I'd be using the computer for what I want, not trying to figure out how to make it do what it is supposed to do.

There's a distinct difference. Do you want to work in programs or do you want to work on getting them to work?

I'm also not over reacting so get that knot out of your panties, like I said if you are offended because I said FUCK LINUX you have ISSUES. I can deal with basic things, do it all the time. The question is do I WANT to waste time trying to get linux working?

Nope.

Actually you are wrong. If I had grown up on linux and jumped to windows I would have pushed 'install' and steam would be installed and I'd be using the computer for what I want, not trying to figure out how to make it do what it is supposed to do.

If you had grown up on Linux you would go and try to find a repository for windows only to realize there's none. You would've struggled with a few other management issues, and the lack of a propper permission system.

There's a distinct difference. Do you want to work in programs or do you want to work on getting them to work?

I get all the stuff I need to work all the time, if it's properly packaged. Unless you're compilling stuff directly from the source, it is very rare to run into problems.

I'm also not over reacting so get that knot out of your panties, like I said if you are offended because I said FUCK LINUX you have ISSUES. I can deal with basic things, do it all the time. The question is do I WANT to waste time trying to get linux working?

The first time I installed Ubuntu I had to do absolutely nothing. It just worked. Out of the box. All the software I needed was on the software center. Any problems I had were related with stuff that wasn't in the repositories, or had to manually compile, and I sorted that out by simply asking another linux user, the same way you ask how a computer works, when you're still a child.

So here, let me point out what I believe you did wrong:

I also chose the 12.04 package of Ubunutu, not the newest one (and it says 'supported for 5 years/stable). Yet I can't even dl and install a simple program, when I try I get an error saying something doesn't work and when I search google I get no results. Tell me, without being a linux nerd or wanting to spend time fixing it how am I (as a user) supposed to know what to do?

"Stable" doesn't mean "up-to-date". It means it's a stable version that has been thoroughly tested, and, therefore, is less prone to crashing and is best used for hosting servers and such. The steam package probably depends on resources that simply aren't present in the version you're running. If it says Steam supports 12.04, check the package dependencies, update your version, in case there's a stability update, and try it again. This is essentially the equivalent of trying to run a Win7 program run on Windows XP.

Edited by zergrush

Yep, condescending remarks about nerdom aside, linux and windows are both different systems, each with their benefits and problems.

I personally prefer Linux and nowadays I often get irritated by numerous traits in windows OSes. When I switched from windows to linux 5 years ago I was a bit overwhelmed by the differences. Ultimately the problem was nearly always in my lack of proficiency with the system. It just is different from windows. I'm no programmer.

Patience and learning the system is all that is needed to get the idea how stuff works. This applies to almost any other new thing in life as well. Getting angry and 'fuck this' attitude will just inhibit your ability to learn the topic.

• Like 2

Clipper

Yep, condescending remarks about nerdom aside, linux and windows are both different systems, each with their benefits and problems.

I personally prefer Linux and nowadays I often get irritated by numerous traits in windows OSes. When I switched from windows to linux 5 years ago I was a bit overwhelmed by the differences. Ultimately the problem was nearly always in my lack of proficiency with the system. It just is different from windows. I'm no programmer.

Patience and learning the system is all that is needed to get the idea how stuff works. This applies to almost any other new thing in life as well. Getting angry and 'fuck this' attitude will just inhibit your ability to learn the topic.

Pretty much this. Also read

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

. It's just you overreacting over your own inability to deal with basic things.

^Yup, funny how when I mention I don't like it I have technical impairments and have no ability to deal with basic things it's not an insult or condescending remark, I'm just a typical windows user right?

But I get called out for using linux stereotypes.

-----

Also, Steam doesn't say anything about what they support, they just give a link to Ubuntu and you have two choices, stable or new shit that might not work.

As a new user which one would you go for? The one that works or the one you have to juggle?

^Yup, funny how when I mention I don't like it I have technical impairments and have no ability to deal with basic things it's not an insult or condescending remark, I'm just a typical windows user right?

But I get called out for using linux stereotypes.

I didn't mention anything about being a typical windows user. I said you were overreacting because FUCK LINUX, WHY WOULD I WANT A SYSTEM I CAN'T GET TO WORK, etc, etc. plus the general tone of your replies.

Also, Steam doesn't say anything about what they support, they just give a link to Ubuntu and you have two choices, stable or new shit that might not work.

I just told you that stable means server stable, not desktop advised. Either way, try downloading and running the .deb at the steam page instead.

Also did you update your system before trying to install anything? If not, use the update manager, or just:

sudo apt-get update upgrade

Lol, 'technological impairments. Not everyone is a computer nerd

Not everyone can read, in this world. But the majority dont' avoid to write because of this.

A Computer it's *not* like a fruit blender or a microwave with one big button on it, it's a (lot) more complex thing. Like for driving a car you need a license, to use a computer at certain level you need to skill yourself or to know how to learn.

My 0,02

Not everyone can read, in this world. But the majority dont' avoid to write because of this.

A Computer it's *not* like a fruit blender or a microwave with one big button on it, it's a (lot) more complex thing. Like for driving a car you need a license, to use a computer at certain level you need to skill yourself or to know how to learn.

My 0,02

Once again. OS 'es are programmed so users don't have to type code to get simple things to work, that's progress. if linux wants to hang out in the past and make everyday users lern to prgrm then it's always going to be the same old story.

I didn't mention anything about being a typical windows user. I said you were overreacting because FUCK LINUX, WHY WOULD I WANT A SYSTEM I CAN'T GET TO WORK, etc, etc. plus the general tone of your replies.

I just told you that stable means server stable, not desktop advised. Either way, try downloading and running the .deb at the steam page instead.

No, you didn't say typical windows user but that was YOUR tone in YOUR first post before I made ANY replies.

Fuck Linux was as a much sarcasm as anything but it got you guys all wound up. believe me I have tried to give Linux a chance several times and everytime it ended up being a major pain. So this time I really am not interested in trying to figure out how to make it work AGAIN. I just wanted to see if i could install Steam EASILY.

I already posted I tried the Steam dl .deb AND the Linux dl of steam.

My 0,02

Once again. OS 'es ARE programmed 9or at least should be- Windows and Mac are) so users don't have to type code to get simple things to work, that's progress. if linux wants to hang out in the past and make everyday users lern to prgrm then it's always going to be the same old story.

it' the same reason a lot of people don't like TDM, they don't want to map. They want to PLAY. Can you blame them?

And really, comparing using a computer to driving where you need a license? I car is a large mechanic object that can maim and kill people if not operated properly. Do you have to build a car before you drive it? Do you have to learn to tune it? NO, you turn a key and push the gas pedal. Even cars are easier to operate than Linux.

I guess Ford is doing something wrong by making their products easy for the consumer to use.

----------

Still back to the original subject.

Steam is now available (only to smart people though) on Steam. Anyone try it?

Once again. OS 'es are programmed so users don't have to type code to get simple things to work, that's progress.

That's totally not true. Maybe you want to say that GUIs are created to do that, but today that's not true too (on a GUI today we have gestures, virtual input devices, and other things that simply uses some kind of code to input, that you must known *before* using it).

A GUI it's a possible layer of an OS, but that's not the OS itself. And an OS it's not created to avoid code for users, but to create an *interface* layer beetween users, programs and the hardware. And yes, you can have an interface paradigma that uses today too a lot of code for certain users, it depends on tons of factors and what kind of user you are, what king of task you have and want to do.

For some task and skilled people it's simply ridiculus to use a GUI, IE.

So you have to define what's an "everyday users", that's simply it's not you, and it's not me, it depends on the POV.

But for me, it's sure, an "everyday users" it's not what decided for me a company to maximize his profit, so with this logic I prefer a Linux based OS because I can customize and use this OS at a level of user that I want (and I can) to be.

Still back to the original subject.

Steam is now available (only to smart people though) on Steam. Anyone try it?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Valve

https://github.com/V...sues?state=open

http://steamcommunit.../discussions/0/

I'm not smart.

Edited by Ladro

Once again. OS 'es are programmed so users don't have to type code to get simple things to work, that's progress. if linux wants to hang out in the past and make everyday users lern to prgrm then it's always going to be the same old story.

This conception is a bit bizarre. I've never written a single line of code in my whole linux career and I've used it for several years now.

Terminal window commands, yes, but no code. You have to occasionally open the command prompt in windows too.

No, you didn't say typical windows user but that was YOUR tone in YOUR first post before I made ANY replies.

Let's go to football team X fan site and say "fuck football team X," and let us see what happens. I'd say it would be easy to predict how people will react. Surely you see how your original post clearly lacked tact?

Clipper

Fuck football team X and i'll say it again. Fuck Linux.

Just tried to install on my laptop and had to jump through hoops for 2 hours.

tried to install on a VM, but the Ubunutu site just hangs when i try to DL the iso (I do have it at home on a usb, but not with me).

So I got the wubi again. Installed and had the same issues. Updated. Jumped through hoops and tried every command I found on Steam user forums. Got steam to start to install, then the entire system just hung.

Reboot and if i try to boot up ubunutu now i get a purple screen for 20 seconds, then my monitor shuts down. It won't even boot now.

-----

OK, technically an OS isn't to simplify the users experience, the GUI is, but you know what I mean. Coding, commands, might as well be the same thing to a regular person. if you don't know the commands they are pretty hard to use. Sure, you can go on web and beg people to help you do simple things. they will always say

sudo get-shit

then you have to respond again... wut? sudo? WTF

then they tell you to type that in terminal

then you have to type WUT? terminal, wtf?

THEN they will tell you how... then it doesn't work so you ask again and someone else tells you to type something else...

After 20 posts of this your computer hangs and you have to uninstall.

in several years of being on Win7 now i have only used commands to check my internet routing to see where the slowdowns were happening. that's it. I can install programs, uninstall, format, partition, surf the web, game....

Like i said, if Linux wants to stay in the past it will stay off my machine, why should it be this much hassle to install a simple program. if i wasn't bored out of my mind tonight i wouldn't have even given it another shot.

----------

So MY experience of Steam on linux...

it completely BLOWS.

So MY experience of Steam on linux...

it completely BLOWS.

I don't think that if you have a program or a game that doesn't work in your Windows machine, you would say "Fuck Windows, Fuck MS". I think you are searching the wrong target, or this is only an excuse to say something bad about Linux.

Anyway: I installed Steam in my notebook with latest Ubuntu, without *any* problem, just one click. It's was far easier to install it on my Ubuntu machine, than on my Windows machine (tried both).

And I'm not the only one:

http://youtu.be/NTktWh-jb-c

(and here they play Amnesia with the Beta):

Edited by Ladro

Hm.. Maybe you should just start with the very basics first. I mean occasional sudoing is normal operation. Those can often be done with some kind of gui but it is more clumsy to move your mouse around and clickety click. Instead you give one command in a terminal and that's it.

It is sorta funny that you see the strong command-line interface only as a weakness as it is also a great strength. Only after you learn it of course.

But anyhow, learning linux needs some trouble. Of course as you learn you bump into new things. Learn them and proceed and soon you will be able to do more complex stuff.

If you don't have the patience (your contributions here indicate you certainly do have the ability) to learn then maybe you should just stay on the windows side? It is important to remember that your poor experience was because of your incompetence with the OS.

Isn't a bit silly if people say something is crap only because they don't know how to use it yet, never even catching a glimpse of the true potential the thing has...

• Like 1

Clipper

I wanted to test this if this is so difficult, so I tried to install steam to my Kubuntu linux.

It just works out-of-the-box. I didn't need to do anything except run the installer. Then I downloaded FTL and started it. It just worked. I wonder if 3d applications work equally well?

If all the games work and the support means better and better compatibility when time progresses... This means that after winXP goes end-of-life I never have to pay anything to microsoft again to play games. No more dual-boot systems. Single linux operating system computer.

This thought brings the tears of joy in my eyes.

• Like 2

Clipper

Oh well, looks like my little utopia is not yet here.

I installed Tf2, but had to install proprietary display drivers for my amd card to get it to work. Tf2 was playable, but the performance wasn't nearly as smooth as it was on the windows side. Occasional mysterious fps drops and stuff. Too bad the driver support is so poor for linux users. Or does this game run under some emulation, dunno.

Maybe, in the future, when linux becomes a more viable option due to increased interest, people are not gonna buy hardware from manufacturers who don't have good driver support for linux. One can always dream, right? :D

Clipper

Too bad the driver support is so poor for linux users.

Before 1.08, TDM ran only smooth under linux for me. Under Windows I always had around 15 FPS even in small/low detailed maps. In addition, both my scanner and my printer are not supported under windows anymore, bot both run under Linux without having me to install any drivers at all.

So I guess this is really a matter of hardware. I have an ATI card and the driver didn't caused any problems to me yet.

Referring emulation. Did you try wine?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter