The Dark Mod Forums

Do you like, or hate doing notes while playing video game?

ERH+

17 members have voted

1. 1. Pen and paper -yes or no?

• It is video game -only basic controls and nothing else.
    • I would rather see some ingame mechanism, allowing making notes on map, stocking info on objectives screen, or small sheet in HUD corner.
    • It could be fun, but I should still be able to finish game "by blind shot".
    • It can increase immersion greatly, it is worth effort and I don't mind if I would end in deadlock without processing collected data.

I want to know if you think game may require some pen and paper notes, maps, sketches, passwords, etc. , and find it as part of fun?

One of my ideas is to encrypt some of readables (as they suppose to be in foreign language) with simple keyword, so you need to exchange every "X" letter with "Y" to read text properly. But is it worth to try, if some of players will hate it?

• Like 1

S2wtMNl.gif

I think this depends on the genre of a game. If it is an adventure, I guess this is OK. For an ego-shooter it would be not.

TDM is somewhere in between I think, so it really depends. Actually the player should not be forced to write down sides of paper. But if it will be only a couple of notes, I guess it's fine.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I think forcing the player to make notes is antiquated and obsolete. It used to be the only way in the old times, but it is not of this time anymore.

Nowadays the expectation is more that the player character knows. The player does not need to memorize things, but can pick up and re-analyze relevant data at-will.

If the player collects clues or something, give the player a readable notebook that is updated when the player finds a new clue. Or the player just takes the clue with them so they can read/examine them when they need to. It is easy to do.

If you are planning to implement very complicated puzzles requiring several clues to solve, be sure to think them through several times, plan then properly and maybe even expose your friends to them to see they really work and are solvable.

It would be sad to see a great mission sink because of a non-logical get-stuck-puzzle.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I have notebooks full of game maps and notes. Notebooks. Nowadays, I am lazier, but I would not mind if it was worth it (i.e. a really cool, tough but logical puzzle).

The thing is, Thief allows taking notes right on the map (if you've got one in the mission), and so far, TDM doesn't. So you should probably keep that in mind. I tend to restrict my clues to readables and environmental hints.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I thought it was cool to be able to write on a map in T2. However I don't think I used it more than a dozen times in as many years.

Original thief missions never really required it, a lot of fan missions had 'brilliant puzzles' that anyone could figure out (according to the authors) that I could never figure out...

I bought Riven a long time ago and loved jotting notes down in the included diary, but they were needed, and I didn't play that game in the dark, nor did it really interrupt the action.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I think forcing the player to make notes is antiquated and obsolete.

Only because we live in the age of casual no attention span gaming. I always enjoyed games that make you put in a little extra effort. An in-game note system like TDP/TMA is about as modern a system as is necessary. I never used the "notes" section in the back of game manuals, as I like to leave their condition pristine and unmarked, fooling myself that my games might be collectible over time :laugh:

• Like 1

I've taken notes in notepad for T2 FMs before. I'd alt-tab out of the game, open up notepad, and make a few notes. I don't recall if I did that for TDM yet. This also includes looking up directions from the FM's thread, which I've also one with TDM. Sometimes it'd be notes on the map in T2, so it might be nice if we could write notes somewhere in darkmod. It's not bad for an occasional FM.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Only because we live in the age of casual no attention span gaming. I always enjoyed games that make you put in a little extra effort. An in-game note system like TDP/TMA is about as modern a system as is necessary. I never used the "notes" section in the back of game manuals, as I like to leave their condition pristine and unmarked, fooling myself that my games might be collectible over time :laugh:

as said,

X2 !

- Liked and used the T2 ingame note taking - seems reasonable thing a thief would do in a big house or exploring town / terrain

Edited by Mr M

I love it when games support taking notes on an ingame map. You forget nothing and can work your way though a map systematically. But so far, Legend of Grimrock and Thief were the only games supporting ingame note-taking I came accross.