The Dark Mod Forums

NOLF2 is Free Software

zergrush

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 7:41 PM, revelator said:

Trying to hammer something working out of it now :) seems angelscript also needed some updating.

Ill report back if and when i have something working.

Sorry for the late reply thanks for looking into this, don't be afraid to ask Frictional Games for help they are very friendly. And they are also looking for a engine developer. ;)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the late reply, i suddenly had to move from my current lodgings so i been busy as all hell these last few months.

Internet will be up again today, im writing this using internet from my smart phone which is not exactly the fastest.

Latest opencollada will require some tweaking before it will be usable with HPL1 the biggest problem seems to be anglescript atm.

• Like 1

No problem revelator, its nice to hear from you.

Never worked with angelscript but from the code I've seen, it seems to follow C syntax, similar to Doom Script, that makes it very attractive to me. Not that I can help but what problems are you having with it?

• Like 1

SSE related problems that where also noted on the github page. stack misalignment when using SSE optimized libraries.

Mostly some linux distros that are affected by this and can be fixed by setting AS_MAX_PORTABILITY to on and then recompiling angelscript.

The library versions needed for building are provided here https://github.com/FrictionalGames/HPL1Engine/downloads latest angelscript and newton needs porting before they will work with the code because of changes to the api.

• Like 1

well it took some time but i got everything besides the HudObjectEditor building with msvc 2015.

Unfortunatly i dont have the game itself so i cannot test my builds, but if you like i can send the builds to you.

These include the tools and dll's needed (though im not even certain all of the dll's are needed anymore).

When i get some better time ill have a look at cleaning up the sources since to be frank its a mess in its current state (dependencies have changed since the original game and documentation is scarce at best).

• Like 1

Got the demo of penumbra overture and it runs fine using my newly built version :) the tools however seem to be missing some assets.

I recompiled ogg vorbis anglescript and theora with msvc2015 because the original libraries had been compiled using VC7 and msvc2015 was bitching loudly about it.

also fixed a few small whoopsies like including the functional header (needed for std::greater with newer compilers)

and the openal wrapper code was missing a needed source file in the project solution leading to a confusing linker error.

I started wrapping up the messy solution so that building it will be a lot cleaner.

• Like 2

https://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/third_party_tools/3d/blender

This should help you get set with using blender for the penumbra HPL1 engine.

And heres my build https://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadvanced/files/penumbra overture/redist.7z/download

just unzip it to the penumbra overture game root overwriting the existing binaries.

If you have problems starting the game you might need the msvc2015 runtimes.

EDIT: the sources will be uploaded later when im done cleaning them up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome work revelator, don't forget to post that in the Frictional Games forum if you have not already, thanks for making this, I really hope that having the ability to use a more modern collada version and so more modern tools, will help this engine get more use, IMO was one of the main stoppers. Unfortunately can't test right now, will do so during the weekend and give you some feedback. cheers.

• Like 1

The collada version included is actually fine though its lacking a few things like rotation support, the main problem atm is that the newer versions of collada relies on a rather old minizip version. If keeping with the needed minizip version is not a problem it should be possible to update it, though the HPL version uses a specialized version of it with different function names so porting it might take some time. Not even sure if it would gain us anything as the old version is just as compatible with blender (which means not the best but useable with some tricks) as the newest just has a few less functions which the game does not use anyway.

Only problem i had so far is sound getting a little choppy at times, but this might be due to the openal version included is the original one from creative and not the opensourced one.

• Like 1

Hum the last time I tried to mod the game it only guarantied full support for collada 1.4.0, I used Modo 601 (the same I still use for idtech4 .lwo), it exports collada 1.4.1, it worked but not 100% the model exported/imported fine, but all the extra stuff, like lights and light options, like color, size and stuff, didn't worked correctly. Or perhaps Modo exports a invalid collada format? (I find that unlikely) Or HPL1 engine uses a particular format of collada that only the Maya plugging, Frictional games used, could export. 

I remember looking at original Penumbra collada 1.4.0 models in a text editor and the collada 1.4.1 exported from Modo 601 and saw obvious big diferences. Never tested blender because didn't used it at the time. 

To me is important that collada export/import work correctly, because afaik to use HPL1, 99.9% of the level work is done inside the 3D tool (Maya in their case), their "editor" is just a pre-viewer of sorts. 

Edited by HMart
  • Like 1

Well it seems we do need some of the tools from HPL1 like hplhelper to setup the format correctly for the editor, besides that the only change to collada from 1.4 to latest was the addition

of kinematics and B-rep and some FX redesigning, sadly there have been no changes as to how collada exports so even if i update it, it wouldnt help. 

Later models of the maya exporter plugin can have problems with scaling so need to make sure to set units to centimeters also modo does not triangulate meshes automatically so need to

enter geometry/polygon/triple for it to triangulate it correctly. https://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl3/engine/model_export

luckily i just got all the tools building with msvc 2015 to :)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

And updated sources to msvc 2017 ;)  https://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadvanced/files/penumbra overture/

get hpl1.7z from above link it contains the sources for HPL1 Penumbra and the OpenAL wrapper as well as all dependencies.

You can build penumbra for testing the HPL1 engine (it works fine btw.).

The tools also all build but are not linked in the main project file so have to be built seperatly.

• Like 2

Hey revelator i'm really sorry for not being much help with this, just to inform that I get a malware warning on your new files "Warning! Malware detected. Download at your own risk." I'm sure is just a false positive but this can scare away potencial users and that would be a petty, so if I was you I would write something about it in the readme section, if only just to try give some reassurance to people. 

The malware warning is from another package containing a windows dos emulator and it is mentioned in its readme what it is and why the malware warning is there,  but the whole site spews warnings about it with no mention of what package is affected.  There is ofcourse no malware there but the archive is password protected so sourceforges antivirus cannot scan it (this is by intent because microsoft has flagged this particular dos emulator since it is based on real windows code NT4's to be exact). 

The real pain is that it is actually a working 64 bit version of microsofts own wowvdm allowing users to run dos executables directly even in win 10 64 bit, something microsoft newer got around to fix.

I even posted the sourceforge devs to get it unflagged and the reason it was password protected to no avail.

I removed the affected package there should be no more malware warnings.

I reuploaded the latest build of ntvdmx64 here without password

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadvanced/files/ldntvdmx64/ldntvdmx64.7z/download

If you or anyone else wants to use it you will have to shut down windows defender since it will not allow it and it cannot be whitelisted (sadly microsoft will newer allow it since it is based partly on there own code) but if you use another antivirus you can ignore it safely.

Updated source archive located here -> https://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadvanced/files/penumbra overture/HPL1-SourceCode.7z/download

OpenAL updated to OpenAL-soft Alut updated to freealut.

Sound buffer size increased a LOT (was 128 for HPL1 and 64 for penumbra, both have been increased to 64k), this is due to changes in fractional games openal wrapper code which caused corrupted sound with updated OpenAL driver.

Tools now also ported to msvc 2017.

You need to build the hpl library first to compile the tools.

Penumbra now works like a charm and if you have the game you can replace the exe + all the dependant dll's in the game folder with the updated versions.

If you get an error starting it you need the msvc 2017 runtimes.

The source uses the windows 8.1 sdk so make sure to get that when setting up msvc 2017.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, revelator said:

I even posted the sourceforge devs to get it unflagged and the reason it was password protected to no avail.

That's unfortunate, i'm sure that if you were a developer from Epic or something they would be all over you like flies.

Anyway thanks for making the sacrifice, i'm sure you are not happy about it but imo is for the better that warning was not helping.

It is still there :) i just uploaded it as a regular archive without password protection, seems that was enough though i cannot say if it will get bogged by windows smartscreen when downloading it.

If you get winevdm it can even load 16 bit executables directly since it was built to interact with it.

Older games like blood or duke nukem3d can be run directly if setup correctly but the emulator is pretty slow so it might not run to well unless you enable haxmvm. Unfortunatly it uses a specialized haxmvm with a self signed certificate so it will only work in test mode, the dev does not have the dough to cash out for a microsoft signed certificate.

lol nice, personally I don't know what I would use that for, I only used DOS for a very small time and just to play Prince of Persia, I've pretty much grow up with windows but i'm sure is useful for those wanting to run that old dos tool or old dos game that they loved.  

It is a niche product though it is used more than one might think since many companies use inhouse dos based tools that they simply cannot update.

As for us mere mortals well have you ever had an older game that actually still works on modern windows just to be slighted by the crap 16 bit installer which refuses to run :P, with this you can still use the 16 bit installer even dos installers work.

But this thread was about HPL1 not my little sideproject ;)  have you tried building it yourself yet ?.

• Like 1