The Dark Mod Forums

NOLF2 is Free Software

zergrush

No sorry still need to install VS2017, right now only have 2015 and 2019. 

edit: Ok instaled vs2017 and i'm building the project.

edit 2: libs compiled fine, penumbra not, first it asked me to update the solution? Then it stoped with error:  fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'hpl.h': No such file or directory

It seems i'm missing some includes

Edited by HMart

? thats the HPL header thats odd that it cannot find this, try checking in the C/C++ tab in properties for penumbra under additional include directories.

Should look like this -> ..\include;..\dependencies\include;..\OALWrapper\include;%(AdditionalIncludeDirectories)

• Like 1

Build order is OALWrapper -> HPL1 -> Penumbra the HPL.sln does this in the right order after that you can go into the tools folder and build any solution under there to get the mapping tools.

But it is imperative that you do it in this exact order as the tools rely on atleast the OALWrapper and HPL engine being built beforehand.

Penumbra itself is not needed if you only need the tools, but it is built anyway.

The HPL engine is built as a library which can be linked to by client applications (tools / game clients etc.) a bit like the irrlicht engine but as a static library with dynamic runtime bindings.

• Like 1

Theres a new build here https://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadvanced/files/penumbra overture/

get redist-30-07-2020.7z i have severely reduced the number off dll's needed to run penumbra as well as updated SDL SDL_ttf and SDL_image libraries with the latest dependencies linked in statically. Cg has also been updated which reduced the number of headers Cg needs as well.

fltk does not seem to be used in the windows build so the fltkdll.dll might actually be remove as well.

All SDL libraries are now the latest versions from the old series. SDL2 might come in handy next ;)

Easiest way to update is simply to remove all dll's in penumbra and then copy over the contents of redist-30-07-2020.7z

• Like 1

And even more reduction ;) statically linked in ogg vorbis and theora.

Also updated GLee to latest and added the msvc 2017 runtimes to the archive.

redist-static-dependencies-30-07-2020.7z can be found under the same url.

Patched the source with a fix for a crash bug in one map where a node gets traversed badly.

So now it only relies on the OpenAL32.dll and the various SDL dll's.

SSE2 support is now mandatory but pretty much all cpu's today support that so it should be no biggie unless you intend to run it on a pentium 2 :P

• Like 2

Im going to do the same thing that was used in idtech 4 and use props to set the correct build steps,

this should ease it for anyone who wants a go at the source code.

Then im going to upload it to github for those who want to toy with it.

Atm im traversing the code to get at some possible memory leaks pointed out by PVS studio, i will mark these in case fixing them causes other problems.

• Like 2

Last release before i start changing things, get HPL1Engine-sources-02-08-2020.7z from same url as the engine.

Changes:

All libraries beside newton and anglescript have been updated to latest.

Fixed a few memory leaks in source.

Removed old project files (no longer possible to build it with the old compilers anyway).

Added HPL tools to main solution and added a readme on how to use them.

Build instructions:

open HPL.sln in msvc 2017 and select if you want a debug or release build, hit build and profit :P.

If you want the mapper tools theres a folder named tools in the workspace, it does not get built by default but even if you have not built HPL1 yet

it will build the dependencies automatically. Select each tool in the workspace and hit build.

If you want to mod for penumbra you need to open hplhelper.exe and execute the tools from there,

it reads the material.cfg file at startup to get the correct location of of game materials.

You can then do a few things like seing how your model / map / particle etc. would look in game (yah it is pretty basic).

There are a few editors for hudobjects maps and particles but they only have the most basic functionality, atleast you can see if things will look right.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking of it the frob mechanic in darkmod could probably use the same logic HPL1 uses for object interaction (also seems to be its main feature).

The CG shader backend would probably benefit greatly being updated to handle GLSL instead, seing as cg has been discontinued and there has been no new version for a very long time.

Source has loads of disabled code which if i read it correctly then atleast some of it seems to be early work for the HPL2 engine.

Found a git repository which had fixed the source to work with the latest Newton physics and Anglescript dependencies. Ill have a look at the changes nessesary to add these.

Could be a great engine to do a remake of one of my old loves (call of cthulhu dark corners of the earth) since that one was riddled with bugs which made it a nasty experience to play.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm in fact TDM would also fit that bill in remaking call of cthulhu dcote since the gameplay is much like thiefs (loads of sneaking around :P) and the dark atmosphere would really fit it as well. Not sure if TDM can do rain drops as is but that should not be to hard to do.

Wonder if anyone could make a shoggoth md5 model ?!? and how it would eventually look.

This old game is scary as hell but suffers from so many game breaking bugs that most people newer finished it which is a shame since the story is really good (allmost 100% following lovecrafts own though it mixes in elements from other novellas like shadow over insmouth dagon and the dunwhich horror).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

2 years later... well my cleanup of jupiter has come to a grinding halt due to me not having enough knowledge about C++. While i got the engine building with msvc 2010 it was somewhat unstable and crashed a lot, even with numerous fixes by several people me included. what works so far is building it with msvc .NET 2003 sp1 against the directx 9 june 2010 sdk. yes the renderer actually uses d3d9 not d3d8 which the original NOLF2 engine used, but it used a very early versions of the sdk for Win9x so i had to make a few changes for it to build correctly with the much newer june version.

I also rebuilt all the tools even the ones using borland compilers like crud.exe (originally used borland C++ 6.0 rebuilt with embarcadero C++ 2010) .

to use msvc .NET 2003 sp1 on win10 you need a few things, a dummy sal.h header copied to the compiler include dir (needed for the newer directx sdk) sal is for source annotations but the old compiler did not have that nor is it supported so the macros in the dummy sal.h are just for show. the directx 9 june 2010 sdk. and lastly while not strictly nessesary you can use the Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2 with it (this adds the ability to do 64 bit builds though only from the command line).

the structure of the jupiter sdk was changed a bit and several batch files have been written to ease building it.

i would also advise adding the directx sdk includes and library dirs to msvc .NET 2003's vcvars32.bat.

theres a demo.bat in the development\TO2 directory which will allow you to play the first lvl of NOLF2.

ill pack it up later today after work.

• Like 1

Hmm, I thought I read somewhere it wasn't open sourced at all, but that the source code was stolen, but the devs didn't care. Since I couldn't find any more info and had no use for it I removed my copy from my github account.

I have been thinking of learning to mod for FEAR, but all modding tools seem very windows orientated and I'm curently using Linux (although the game loads fine with Proton).

Edited by datiswous

info is a bit sketchy on it aye, though it does come with only partial assets for nolf2 so the company must have thought what the heck, cant really do much with it as it is anyway since the engine you can build with it is incompatible with the older nolf2 assets. could be used for making something from the ground up but would be a massive undertaking since it would require its own assets and there are a lot needed...

strangely there was a link to it on there site back before touchdownentertainment closed up so it might actually be legid enough.

cant use it for fear modding either though as fear uses jupiter extended and this is only jupiter 😕 .

linux support is also a bit sketchy lithtech was after all originally designed to be the directx engine of choice and microsoft had a deal with them which unfortunatly went sideways for monolith.

got it packed up but its pretty large 1.2 gb's compressed so im looking at filehosters atm.

i also have an iso image of the original dvd it came on for those interrested.

https://www.filehosting.org/file/details/2190155/Jupiter_Ent.7z

here is the development package for jupiter, i have included debug release and final builds of the engine as well as final builds of the tools.

the demo assets are in the development folder and you can run the first lvl of nolf2 via the demo.bat provided, there are a few other samples included with the demo assets which can be run via dedit (remember to read the documentation as there are some hints there as to how it all works).

to bad the engine as is cannot run the original nolf2 as it is quite a bit more stable on later OS than the old one 😕

caused by added functionality newer and added shaders models etc. the demo uses maya 7 model format the older nolf2 uses maya 4 for instance. i tried to updated the older assets but failed miserably (not a mapper myself) but maybe someone else has more luck.

dont think the filehosters have any nefarious intent also had to use my own email to upload it, but if it turns out that something untoward does happen ill see if i can find another hoster.

personally i would have thought that newer maya formats also kept compatibility with older versions but seems that is not the case, and being a commercial sdk means it is not exactly easy to get the older sdks either :S.

but as an experiment you could try loading up the assets from the older game (will need to unpack the GAME.rez file for that) then try loading up one of the worlds in dedit. it crashes here with some missing shaders and other stuff, so i tried copying those from the demo assets but while the engine will actually try to load now it will segfault on the models because they are incompatible. unfortuantly i have no idea how to update the older model format to the new version so im stuck.

• 2 months later...

Nice game, but be careful where you download. I have a bad habit of checking the Download links and corresponding pages, with Virustotal (browser extension), before clicking on them and almost all of them, except ModDB for the patch and Abandonware Games, are contaminated with malware (Trojans and others).

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

newer hurts to be careful though i havent noticed any misbehaviour from this filehoster :), if there are then it is blocked by my router cause every online scanner i could throw at it says it is clean.  still allways a good thing to be vigilant.

one small hint for those that want to try and build the source, msvc 2003 .NET does work on win10 but it has a rather odd bug where the search function does not work. this is caused by win10's high dpi scaling so disable that in compatibility settings and also disable fullscreen optimizations and set it to run as admin, this will take care of the problems this old compiler has. the source uses the older dx9 sdk dxsdk_feb2006 which does not use source annotation but if you make a small hack using a dummy sal.h like in mingw-w64 you can actually build it using the latest dx9 sdk from june2010 instead, the binaries in the source are built using the latest sdk btw :).

with some more work it could be ported to built with even the latest compilers but it would probably be easiest to do that using cmake scripts to recreate the build solutions for the compiler you wish to use.

might even be possible to port it to use clang or gcc but i suspect that might take a good deal of work.

on the other hand it could possibly help with a few of the problems like replacing the old dsound interface with openal and other stuff that win10 does not support fully anymore.