The Dark Mod Forums

Funny TTLG Thread

Sir Taffsalot

http://www.ttlg.com/...ad.php?t=130680

This is a fun read. My favourite post is 108. You dont have to read the entire post. You can just glance over it to get the idea. Thankfully there doesn't seem to be any 'Us vs Them' in the Thief community anymore.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot
  • Like 1

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Oh, that thread. It was a long time ago. I think some genuine damage was done, but what can we do about it except continue building?

Also, appreciated the irony of Bulgarian_Taffer taking TDM to task about being unfaithful to Thief after producing a mission set on a space station and another where you infiltrate a Mechanist rocket silo. :laugh:

where is oDDity ?

Bad place. Seriously, don't look it up, I wish I didn't.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I come to pledge my utter obeisance to The Dark Mod Conspiracy Scheme Plan Thing, and my undying allegiance to its All-Powerful OverLordMinds.

Today - TDM. Tomorrow - THE WORLD.

The day after that - TDM again. (Or it will be when I stop playing Dishonored.)

To all who seek to impede our Cause or stand in our Path - the pangolins await. post-9265-0-81678300-1362005653.gif

I remember TDM generating hostility (and that thread in particular), and I remember being almost totally baffled as to why... I guess the fear was T2 building dying out, but so many years later and people are still building with dromed. My feeling was always people should build with whatever system makes them happy.

Some people are happy building Thief-like games on a nostalgia engine (dromed), some on a multiplayer engine (UT3/Thievery), some on a modern engine, either TDS (if they want "authenticity") or TDM (if they want the engine working with them, not against them), and some even on a cutting edge engine (CryEngine 3 or whatever, they have to start from scratch, but people do it). There are different niches there, so it's nice that there are different outlets for people's ambitions. (I can't even discount the nostalgia factor. I was thinking of coding a game for C64 or Atari 2600 in their assembly code, to run on an emulator! There's no practical reason to ever do that except for the cool feeling of nostalgia. But for an FM, I want to be on the progressive side.)

I don't think the choice is completely neutral as some people talk about sometimes, as if they're all equal. I do think there is an ethos that comes with liking one engine over another (like authenticity vs progressiveness), and one can be "better" than another, at least according to a set criteria, but people can value different criteria (where a different choice is better than the others). But I also think that's ok... It's a big tent, & having different perspectives is a good thing.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

What I find interesting about the thread is that it starts off as anti TDM but ends up been about T1 and T2 vs TDS. I think this shows that its less about TDM but more of the tribe mentallity that exists in the Thief community. There is an attitude of "My Thief game is better than your Thief game" which is absolulety ridiculous. At the end of the day you can throw hard facts around such as "TDS is inferior because it has no rope arrows or swimable water". Which one is actually the best and which one is somebodies personal favourite are two seperate things. One deals with cold hard facts and the other deals with personal taste.If somebody likes TDS more than T2 then good for them.

It makes me wonder if another faction of the Thief community will come in to play once Thi4f is finally released.

Some people can't be convinced that TDM is a good thing. The more you try the harder they fight it, why bother. I wish more people would jump on TDM but we've got a pretty good list of FM's already.

To be fair I haven't seen any anti TDM comments in quite a while and I go on to TTLG every day to see if any new Thief FMs are out. I think after 3 years and half any doubters have at least got used to TDMs existance and dont view it as a threat any more.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

There is an attitude of "My Thief game is better than your Thief game" which is absolulety ridiculous. At the end of the day you can throw hard facts around such as "TDS is inferior because it has no rope arrows or swimable water". Which one is actually the best and which one is somebodies personal favourite are two seperate things. One deals with cold hard facts and the other deals with personal taste.If somebody likes TDS more than T2 then good for them.

Statistical analysis indicates that human beings have a fascinating, if not desperate, tendency to feel superior to their peers. In its lowest form (for those people who don't have many qualities they could brag around with) they attempt to generate this feeling in themselves by targeting the matters of taste type things and give comments like "my [software/hardware/wetware] is better than yours. Only [derogatory] people use [software/hardware/wetware]."

If a comment if stupid enough, one should not even be laughed at. It should be simply ignored.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I don't get all the hate in that thread I really don't. To a lot of people TDS was a disappointing sequel for various reasons. It TDS was everything it was hoped for...I dare say it, The Dark Mod probably never would have been attempted.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.