The Dark Mod Forums

Standalone request: Machine sounds

Springheel

(BTW, activate_airpump_02.wav shows up in DR as 'Error: file not found'. Am I doing something wrong?)

Nope. It's natively missing in doom. The shader definition is in machinery.sndshd.

activate_airpump_02.wav was meant to be a one shot lead-in sound followed by the loop. In case anyone used this shader in doom, it would simply play the loop without the lead-in.

There are plenty of "missing" assets in doom. I think it was about shrinking the game to fit on one DVD before shipping.

It's probably on the list because it came up as not existing. I'll cross it off. Thanks for the others too, we're making progress!

It's probably on the list because it came up as not existing. I'll cross it off.

Can't find a sound shader that even mentions vault_clock_ambient.wav anywhere either, so that one can probably go too.

Thanks for the others too, we're making progress!
Good to be able to make some contribution. B) Hopefully I'll be able to do a bit more today.

* hh_door_movement_1.wav: https://soundcloud.c...oor-movement-01

* light_flicker_124.wav: https://soundcloud.c...ight-flicker124

* teleport_machine_idle.wav: https://soundcloud.c...rt-machine-idle

Assuming vault_clock is a non-existent sound, I think that just leaves elev_start & elev_end from the OP (which I'm working on and which are also Doing My Head in a bit). Shall I start working on the missing sounds on the wiki?

You are a machine sound-making machine! :laugh: Excellent job.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

impdoor_creak1 link now fixed: https://soundcloud.c...mpdoor-creak1-1

You are a machine sound-making machine! :laugh: Excellent job.

Thanks Melan. After bumbling around somewhat cluelessly with textures and a bit of proofreading, it's really nice to have found something I can contribute back to the mod. My only concern is that the sounds I'm producing are pretty lo-fi - basic M.O. is:

1. Find innocent unsuspecting sound(s) on Freesound that may just vaguely approximate the desired sound;

2. Chop/filter/pitch bend/time stretch/mixpaste/amplify the innocent unsuspecting sound(s) until they yield. post-9265-0-39256000-1365606784.gif

If anyone happens to be living next to a military-industrial scientific research facility running experiments that have inadvertently opened a portal to Hell, could you pop in with a Zoom H2 and record some of the sounds? It would make this job so much easier. Ta. (Lol, rofl, etc)

• Like 1

People can do whatever they want, but the more effort focussed on standalone assets, the sooner we'll be able to release a standalone version.

• Like 1

I was perching above this thread like a vulture, but... fair enough. :blush:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Could maybe start a thread (if there isn't one already) of a "sounds wishlist" for future consideration - ??? Personally I'd love to have a go at composing some music ambients for TDM, but I'm going to focus on the standalone stuff for now, speaking of which - re the wiki list of sounds needed: -

alarm.wav
doesn't show in DR - is it the list of sounds in alarms.sndshd?

ambient_metal_stresses
- spent an hour working with some freesound files to underwhelming effect, so I'll skip these for now and focus on bodyparts.wav, bridge_up_speaker.wav, caco_projectile.wav and ceiling_tiles.wav (and the alarms if needed).

If someone could confirm about the alarm.wav that'd be great.

It's possible that some of the sounds on that list come from individual maps, in which case we really don't have to create replacements for them. If you can't find the sound in DR, just skip it for now until we find out where the error comes from.

caco_projectile.wav

For context, this is the sound that mages make when casting their sickly green glow while searching. You don't have to match the original exactly, any vaguely sinister magic sound will do.