The Dark Mod Forums

No Google date operator?

Fidcal

Think there used to be a google date operator - date:N where N is within last N months. Now google advanced search has a date option but I notice it does not insert an operator like, for instance, site: does.

Okay, why don't I use advanced search? Well I do but I no longer trust google so I've disabled javascript for them. So, that means some options work and some don't. The only way I'll use javascript with google is to afterwards disconnect and log in again to get a new IP address.

So, my question is, does anyone know if there is a new date operator to limit search results?

You know this is something you can actually google to get the answer... ;)

Edit: I deleted my previous post because I found the answer.

There is a working date operator. It's "daterange:". It uses Julian date terms for some bizarre reason, not our normal Gregorian calender terms, I guess because it avoids ambiguity. (Julian date is just the number of days since Jan 1, 4713 BC, so today is 2456355; conversion: http://aa.usno.navy..../JulianDate.php).

I just tested it and it worked. I searched "ravioli" in the range of 2451607-2451610 and all the responses were from the first week of March 2000, so bingo. (Why ravioli from the first week of March 2000? I have no idea... Just picking random things.)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Okay, thanks. First I have to say I did, of course, first use google to search for the operators. That was how I reminded myself of date: which now seems to be obsolete because it merely returned results that included date: within them! I only looked at a few search results, including Google's own help, but without success. I didn't see that website you first posted (which incidentally had nothing about date or time that I could see.)

The Julian thing I'll keep note of - though it's tortuously inconvenient. I'll see if it can default to today for the latest term. I'll also take another look for a metasearch engine that links to google and does what google ought to do.

Now and again I search for other search engines but they're limited and dreadful compared to google.

Yes the irony of my first sentence was I did a google search and didn't find the right answer at first either, but for some reason I kept the sentence when I found the right answer later anyway (after a lot more tedious searching). So the winking guy comes across as an arrogant ass for me and you both now, heh.

It is strange that Google would make it tricky to find such key information about its own system though!

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

4713bc is the time the earth was created according to the bible. am guessing its using a julian date due to who either owns google now or the religion of the person who wrote the search program.

there's a google button at the bottom of every page on here, so it adds a google cookie to your browser, whether you want one or not.

Edited by stumpy

It's not the local cookies I'm concerned about - I can control those. By default, all my local cookies are deleted when I close my browser - except the ones I want. No, it's the multiple secret distant cookies holding information about you - the ones they make it difficult to control (you actually need a local cookie to opt out of the distant cookies and their name is legion, an unclean spirit.)

4713bc is the time the earth was created according to the bible. am guessing its using a julian date due to who either owns google now or the religion of the person who wrote the search program.

I read about it and it's a bit more complicated. Julian date is used in modern scientific astronomy as an unambiguous standard way to get a precise date as a single number, so that's why it was probably picked.

As for the date the earth was created, you're thinking about it backwards. The reason it was picked as the first year is because Jesus was apparently born at certain years in 3 cycles (one of them being the Roman tax cycle, which obviously doesn't pre-date the Empire), but if you ran the cycles back, they converged at that date in some special way. So that was good enough to make it year 1.

Also note that it's accepted today that they got the date of Jesus's birth off by a few years; so it's incorrect even under their arbitrary standard. But it's already standardized from that date, so it's like "qwerty", just an arbitrary thing that survives because it was there first.

I like it. It does take boolean operators (though you have to search for it) but no special fields for them. I'm on the fence here. operators can be faster once you're used to them but I've got used to separate fields. The advantage of a single input is less clutter I suppose. I'll try both these - DuckDuckGo and Start Page. They both look more secure than Google that's for sure.

I wonder if DuckDuckGo is a meta search or does it have its own search engine? I'll take a look on Wikipedia.

I like it. It does take boolean operators (though you have to search for it) but no special fields for them. I'm on the fence here. operators can be faster once you're used to them but I've got used to separate fields. The advantage of a single input is less clutter I suppose. I'll try both these - DuckDuckGo and Start Page. They both look more secure than Google that's for sure.

I wonder if DuckDuckGo is a meta search or does it have its own search engine? I'll take a look on Wikipedia.

Duckduck it's a meta search, so there you have also google results, but not only google, and of course in a neutral way, without the bubble http://dontbubble.us/ , because Google cannot make any traking on you browser, geoip, cookies, keywords association, etc etc...

It's cool also that duck duck eliminate from the results all the trash content created only for seo marketing.

When you remember the !bang code, it's super quick, and addictive, I really cannot back to google search now!

IE if you search on duck duck: fidcal !i

(i it's for "images")

You have your photos, directly, displayed by google.

You go back and change !i to !w

And you search directly on wikipedia the same keyword. Or you can search !yt for youtube, or tousands of other !bang code. I personally submitted a lot of other personal bang shortcut to the site, and after 48 hrs they activated it!

(!passmark !cpumark !trovaprezzi , etc)

It's a new way to use a search engine, I assure you.

Trivial: the guy who created duck duck, it's this one:

http://www.gabrielweinberg.com/

He created all the site from scratch completely alone, and also until 6month ago, after 3 yrs of work on the project, he was completely alone on managing all the site!