The Dark Mod Forums

Unusual Gameplay Contest FM: The Builder's Blocks by Jesps

Jesps

19 members have voted

1. 1. Unusual Gameplay Theme

2. 2. Gameplay Quality

3. 3. Aesthetics (Visuals, Story, Audio)

I downloaded "The Builders Blocks" from the in-game downloader in 2.0 and there is no entry in missions list for it.

I opened the darkmod/fms directory and there is a directory named builders_blocks

In it there is:

builders_blocks.pk4

darkmod.txt

install_splash.tga

readme.txt

Both the .txt files and the splash.tga are for Crystal Grave 2.1.

Also, if you open the .pk4 the .txt files and the .tga are for Crystal Grave 2.1.

---------------------

Title: Crystal Grave v2.1

Description: The first version was released on the 11-12-2011, it has since been over hauled and upgraded.

Upon entering the game the player is tasked with finding some supplies and loot, all the while avoiding the undead.

Author: ERH+, Bikerdude.

Required TDM Version: v1.08

---------------------------------------------

I do have an entry for Crystal Grave 2.1 now though.

In the .pk4 the map is named "krysztalowygrob1" and all the other files there are also named that: .aas_rat, .aas32, .aas96, .cm, .darkradiant, .map, .proc

All named krysztalowgrob1.

I opened the map in DR and it is indeed Crystal Grave.

So I'm getting the Builder's Blocks off the mission list TDM.com page.

Turns out all links to Builder's Blocks on http://www.thedarkmod.com/missiondetails/?id=68

are also for Crystal Grave 2.1.

Where do we get this mission?

Not sure where you got the links from, but the mirror-links on fidcal & southquarter both give

Page Not Found

From what I can tell, these are the correct links/versions:

http://www.southquar...ders_blocks.pk4

http://www.fidcal.co...ders_blocks.pk4

(taaki.net has a good link already)

Trust the tool! It is designed to help you, not to nag you. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Holy tits! I never thought I would play Tetris in TDM!

I'm really impressed!

+Unusual as can be!

+Very well done.

-Almost no sound. When moving the pieces, they should make a sound. When you lose too.

-No background music?

-Mouse gameplay is really uncomfortable. I would prefer using my keyboard to move the pieces.

-Almost no story and readables.

This is really really interesting.

But I prefer playing Tetris on my smartphone. :D

Edited by Jon Irenicus

I particularly liked the door leading to the back of the machine. Reminds of the intricate videos of the computer/GPU built in Minecraft. You can see the internals and spare parts lying around. Interesting.

As far as unusual gameplay, Builder's Blocks really takes the cake. Too bad there are 2 other categories in which it needs to score highly :\

Edited by Lux

• 8 months later...

This wasn't trying to be a mission, so I didn't take it as such. But it was a delightful display of what's capable in TDM's engine, and also a great mini-game. Good job!

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

• 3 years later...

Congratulations Jesps. It's a great feeling to release a new level. Well done!

• Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 5 years later...

Very interesting unusual gameplay mission!

I found two non-interactable fork-mines. Do they have any meaning?

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle