The Dark Mod Forums

Mixamo autorigger

Diego

I recently discovered that the website mixamo.com has an autorigger that is free for low poly models. The final result may not be perfect but with a few clicks you have a working rig and your model correctly weighted! that's at the very least a fantastic starting point, saving hours of work. However, it has its own system of bones, that 3ds max translates to helper objects (not bones). I was wondering if it's possible to create md5 animated file using this rig, that works in TDM. Anyone ever tried that?

Since baddcog and me have these big problems with only animating a head (tried to do that also with helper objects since the normal bones wouldn't work too) I doubt that this will work for Doom3.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Hi there,

I work for Mixamo and I saw your post so I thought I would give it a try to see if we could figure out a solution. I was able to export an MD5 animation file from 3Ds Max using an Auto-Rigged and animated character from our site.

Step 1: I first downloaded this plugin for 3Ds Max that you can find here http://home.mnet-online.de/der/3dsmax-md5exporter.zip

Step 2: Auto-Rig a character, and apply animations from our site http://www.mixamo.com/. Download the character with animations and import as a .fbx into 3Ds Max.

Step 3: To export an MD5 file using this script you will need to change the character from an editable poly to an editable mesh. The easiest way I found to do this is to add an editable mesh modifier to the top of the stack, drag it below the skin modifier then collapse the stack from the editable mesh modifier down. This should leave you with an editable mesh and a skin modifier.

Step 4: Creating the MD5 file will also require a camera, so create a camera for your scene and animated it as you like.

Step 5: Run the plugin within 3Ds Max by going to the top tool bar, MAXScript > Run Script and choose the file md5export from the file you downloaded. This will allow you to Export the MD5 animations giving you a md5mesh and an md5anim file.

I hope this works, let me know if you have any more issues with this and I will do my best to help.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Hi there,

I work for Mixamo and I saw your post so I thought I would give it a try to see if we could figure out a solution. I was able to export an MD5 animation file from 3Ds Max using an Auto-Rigged and animated character from our site.

Step 1: I first downloaded this plugin for 3Ds Max that you can find here http://home.mnet-onl...md5exporter.zip

Step 2: Auto-Rig a character, and apply animations from our site http://www.mixamo.com/. Download the character with animations and import as a .fbx into 3Ds Max.

Step 3: To export an MD5 file using this script you will need to change the character from an editable poly to an editable mesh. The easiest way I found to do this is to add an editable mesh modifier to the top of the stack, drag it below the skin modifier then collapse the stack from the editable mesh modifier down. This should leave you with an editable mesh and a skin modifier.

Step 4: Creating the MD5 file will also require a camera, so create a camera for your scene and animated it as you like.

Step 5: Run the plugin within 3Ds Max by going to the top tool bar, MAXScript > Run Script and choose the file md5export from the file you downloaded. This will allow you to Export the MD5 animations giving you a md5mesh and an md5anim file.

I hope this works, let me know if you have any more issues with this and I will do my best to help.

Cheers!

Did you test it out ingame already? Would be cool if it really worked! :)

And where does the camera need to be placed and heading to? (step 4)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Hi there,

Step 1: I first downloaded this plugin for 3Ds Max that you can find here http://home.mnet-onl...md5exporter.zip

Cheers!

That was very thoughtful of you! thanks for having the time to look into it, make some tests and share with us. I already finished rigging my current model but I will definitely try that next time.

As for the camera in step 4, you can place a camera anywhere. The plugin I recommended just asks for a camera in the scene.

I don't have a copy of Doom 3 and haven't used TDM personally, but you can easily try the steps and use Mixamo to have a model rigged and animated in a few minutes. We even have some new characters that might look cool in the game http://www.mixamo.com/c/3d-characters some are free if you just want to try it out and see if it works.

Let me know if it works for you I'd be really curious to know if Mixamo can help with this.

Edited by TyClark

• 9 months later...