The Dark Mod Forums

Square Enix Cracking Down (April Fools)

demagogue

I got an PM from a Square Enix suit today.

Apparently with Thief 4 coming up and with the attention we've been getting on the Eidos forums, they're getting very picky with protecting their copyright, and said they had some issues with The Dark Mod.

They had read on our forum that I've been the resident lawyer for the team for IP stuff, so I guess that's why they emailed me first. It's strange because I always thought it'd be id we'd have issues with (if anyone), never Eidos or Square Enix... I mean, why would they go after us now?? But apparently while Eidos has known about us for a while, we're recent news to Square Enix, & they're notoriously picky about IP.

So the guy said they understood Dark Mod had its own fiction. What they were troubled with was some of the visual similarities. So the guy made some helpful suggestions for changes we could make to the assets to avoid a Cease & Desist Order. These include:

- Changing the color of our Builders & Revenants to something other than red to avoid any visual similarity to Hammers & Haunts... Blue, green, or black outfits would be ok...

- Using something other than a blackjack for the knockout ability, such as a billy club.

- He also suggested that the arrows were part of the fiction. While we could have arrows that did tasks, he was concerned how things like the water arrows and rope arrows were wrapped up with the Thief fiction, and suggested other possibilities were available for these jobs, such as vapour arrows and something like a grappling hook arrow.

- He wished the light gem didn't look so much like the original light gem, and suggested we could use some other visual feature, such as a lightbulb.

I thought it was nice he was at least being open to changes we could make, as opposed to just slapping a flat out C&D on us. With just a few changes to some models and textures we can get TDM back on its feet in no time. I thought it'd be good to make a thread to ask for volunteers for some of these tasks. They said they'll give us a little leeway to make the changes, but the sooner the better.

• Like 4

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

OMG that was NOT funny!!!! I almost had a heart attack!!!

Well played.

Yeah me too. I cant wait to see what your going to come up with next year DMG. I think everyones going to be expecting an April Fools from you next year.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Surprise!! :laugh:

I was secretly waiting to see if anyone would volunteer to make a green haunt & lightbulb gem, haha.

I'm just happy I caught a few people... It made me feel a little better after falling hard to TTLG's little joke today myself.

Cheers everybody.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.