The Dark Mod Forums

Let's bring Stephen Russell to The Dark Mod!

Dinosorceror

I'm not really aware of how much voice actors actually make in a gig ...

$500/hr, according to my son, who's in the movie trailer business. Stephen's may understandably be more than that.

And, as NH said, there are union issues.

And professional issues. If I were told I should do my day job for free, I wouldn't exactly be happy about the idea. Not that I'm greedy, but the ideas of 'material security' and 'disposable income' are very appealing.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

If someone is that eager to get some SR barks into their FM, there's a ton of them to scrounge from T1-T3, a large portion of which weren't even used in the games. Thief FMs have been using them for a long time actually. That said, our technical policy is still that we don't condone FMs that take IP from other games or host them if we know about it, though.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

If I were told I should do my day job for free, I wouldn't exactly be happy about the idea.

Yes, this. I think people generally overestimate how willing professional artists of any stripe are to do work for free.

I heard that when Stephen would go to LGS to do his lines he would always a large black cloak. He would also avoid going in through the front entrance and go in through a back door. That's feckin cool!

Speaking of voice actors, who is the guy that did the voice over in the intro of St. Lucia? It's nothing like Garrett but I think it's really cool.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

@NW you should do some lines for the campaign then mista!

As luck would have it, as of yesterday I am once again able to record. My recording desktop bit the dust 3 years ago and I had been meaning to buy the parts to build a new one for some time. Money is an issue of course and time, so even though I had bought a new power supply and monitor, I never got around to getting the rest of the parts, until I came into some parts this week by sheer luck. A cooworker was getting rid of his older core2duo based gigabyte motherboard, complete with the CPU and 6 gigs of ram. Some older computers were also being scrapped at work so I got a free video card to boot. Got it all setup last night, just have to install an OS and my old programs. :)

It's disgusting that they aren't getting Stephen Russell to do the voice for Thief 4, Stephen Russell *is* Garrett, this is crazy. It would be like not having James McCaffrey, who's Max Payne, in the next Max Payne game, or changing the guy who's Batman in Arkham Asylum and Arkham City (can't recall his name, but he's perfect in the role), unthinkable.

And I would be very willing to contribute a nice sum so we can compensate Mr. Russell for doing the voice of the Thief in a TDM campaign. He wouldn't be portraying Garrett, but another dark and mysterious master thief, and, as we know, he's quite excellent for such a role and would really bring the character to life. I imagine we would not need more than 2-3 hours of recording time for the entire campaign, perhaps even 1 hour, if things are carefully planned.

I think a fan effort like this would really get press attention, too. "Thief fans are outraged that Stephen Russell, the voice of master thief Garrett in all the Thief games, will not be allowed to return to his role for Thief 4. So, they are hiring him themselves to portray another thief main character in fan-favorite mod, The Dark Mod!

That is just the kind of story that game writers love to cover. :)

I imagine we would not need more than 2-3 hours of recording time for the entire campaign, perhaps even 1 hour, if things are carefully planned.

This sounds a bit optimistic to me. ;)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Well, 2 hours of recording time is probably a more realistic minimum. :) It would be great to have him record several hours of stuff, enough for a long campaign, lengthy static cut-scenes (with great in-game pictures of cathedrals in the background and so on) between each mission, comments from the Thief during the mission if something interesting is seen or found or happens during the mission, etc., but it would depend on the cost. But if we could get a couple hours, enough to record a good number of lines of dialog, that should do, I would think. :)

Edited by Dunedain

I think a fan effort like this would really get press attention, too. "Thief fans are outraged that Stephen Russell, the voice of master thief Garrett in all the Thief games, will not be allowed to return to his role for Thief 4. So, they are hiring him themselves to portray another thief main character in fan-favorite mod, The Dark Mod!

... Which then promptly recieved a cease and disist letter from Square-Enix.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

... Which then promptly recieved a cease and disist letter from Square-Enix.

Which would have no grounds, since he would voice another character that wouldn't be Garret.

Still, payment/union issues aside, it wouldn't hurt just to ASK Stephen if something like this would be possible, and how much he would charge for it. At worst case scenario, we would get a solid NO, and we could put an end to this issue altogether.

Now, how can we get in touch with him, in the 1st place?

Edited by zergrush

Well, 2 hours of recording time is probably a more realistic minimum. :) It would be great to have him record several hours of stuff, enough for a long campaign, lengthy static cut-scenes (with great in-game pictures of cathedrals in the background and so on) between each mission, comments from the Thief during the mission if something interesting is seen or found or happens during the mission, etc., but it would depend on the cost. But if we could get a couple hours, enough to record a good number of lines of dialog, that should do, I would think. :)

Well, first you would need to know exactly how much script there was to read and allow for multiple takes. At the very least, you would would a full 8 hour day. If finished before then, fantastic, but you would never go into this expecting to get it done in 2 hours...especially since there really wouldn't be much time for discussing the character ahead of time, unless that was done by email or skype. As for Square ceasing and desisting us for simply hiring an actor, I don't think that would be an issue...and if it was, it wouldn't do their sales a lot of good.

Yes, Stephen Russel is Garrett, so getting him to voice a "dark and mysterious master thief" for a game that is already balancing on the line between spirtual successor and copyright infringement is most certainly a bad idea.

Yes, Stephen Russel is Garrett, so getting him to voice a "dark and mysterious master thief" for a game that is already balancing on the line between spirtual successor and copyright infringement is most certainly a bad idea.

Not if we named said master "Stephen" right from the start.

Edited by zergrush

Well, there are lots of games with "space marines" in them, doesn't mean they are infringing on Aliens, they are just doing characters that are similar in general type. That happens all the time in games and movies. Obviously the main character you play as in TDM is a thief, everyone knows that. But as long as the story is not from the Thief games and Mr. Russell isn't saying lines that are specific to Garrett, there's no connection between Garrett and the thief in TDM, thus no grounds for complaint.

Yeah, the character would be discussed with him in advance as much as possible, thus keeping actual work time needed to a minimum, it would be simpler if he were able to record where he's at. Hmm, 8 hours, huh? Guess it would depend on what his rates are per hour, but if we had a decent number of supporters, might not be that hard to do.

Beneath the cost and copyright points I may add three additional points speaking against this idea:

1. Stephen Russell "is" only Garrett for the english speaking community members. All the others most probably don't give a ... about this thing.
  2. We already have voice actors. The latest one coming to the community is Tyler IIRC, who seems to be quiet talented.
  3. All people who have contributed to this mod did it for free. So even if we want him, it would only make sense if he would be willing to do it for free and without claiming any copyrights.

Well, 2 hours of recording time is probably a more realistic minimum. :)

... but you would never go into this expecting to get it done in 2 hours...

I guess there is no point in discussing this. I never did some voice acting and Dunedain didn't seem to hav done this either guessing from his time estimates (doesn't meant to be harsh, just saying). I guess we can agree that every kind of work takes waaaay longer then people who've never done it are thinking. :smile:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Hmm, 8 hours, huh? Guess it would depend on what his rates are per hour,

As grayman already said above,

$500/hr, according to my son, who's in the movie trailer business. Stephen's may understandably be more than that.

So you're talking about a minimum of $4000. I'm fairly certain there will be no official participation in raising (or spending) that kind of money.