The Dark Mod Forums

How can I make a realistic looking pond?

Sir Taffsalot

Are you referring to Taffys pond or to my tutorial pics?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Yep, but mine was created in 5 minutes for explanatory reasons :smile:

So I was a bit confused.

• Like 1

When you have a reflective surface between two masses of space (in this case, the outside space where your standing and the inside of the water body), the rule of thumb says that the the surface will be mirror-like when seen from the brighter space (the outside, with torches and moon), and see-through from the darker one (the pond will be dark and have no light). So again, I would say just put a cool reflective texture on that water, and you should be fine. Look no further than Arcturus' pond for reference/inspiration.

Good point RPGista however this is an indoor pond that's supposed to simulate an outdoor pond. So even though it's meant to look like it's outside it is fact inside (that makes sense right?). So taking in to account that it's indoors, would it still be reflective?

@ST: Once I've built the Pagan area I'll put up a proper screenshot.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Yep, that was just a fancy way of saying that whenever you have a water body that is NOT lit from the inside (by some kind of glowing crystal, for a TDM example), its surface should always be reflective and you wont be able to see inside (considering the water is murky and since most ponds have non reflective material as botton, like mud or rocks). It also depends on the angle of the light and how clear the water is/how reflective the "pool" material is, but since we dont have complex water textures, I would use the "black, reflective one" almost everytime.

800px-Little_river.JPG

Edited by RPGista

Looks nice. :smile:

One note: It seems you've surrounded the scenery with brushes to seal it. Do you know the dmap argument noflood? It helps a lot while testing during the mapping process.

It's supposed to look like that. I wanted to pay tribute to T2X by having my own pagan and Builder / Hammerite area in my museum. So it's supposed to be a simulation of an outdoor area inside a room.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Okay. Didn't thought of that :smile:

And yep. The T2X museum mission was pretty cool. Good choice for a tribute.

Looks nice. :smile:

One note: It seems you've surrounded the scenery with brushes to seal it. Do you know the dmap argument noflood? It helps a lot while testing during the mapping process.

@Obsttorte, what's dmap argument noflood?

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

Hey! Someone else with a Münchhausen avatar? :laugh:

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

@Obsttorte, what's dmap argument noflood?

If you type dmap noFlood mapname into your console, dmap will not check whether any entity has a connection to void. This means you can dmap your map without having to seal it. The downside is that AAS will not be created, so pathfinding won't work properly. But it's a good way to test your architecture without having to surround everything with brushes. :smile:

• Like 1

post-2023-0-76147900-1366121561.png post-2023-0-12095700-1366121572.png post-2023-0-11786100-1366122102.png post-2023-0-65817500-1366122114.png post-2023-0-27412500-1366122124.png post-2023-0-96216100-1366122134.png

Let's not forget Barry Lyndon. It rates very high on the gits-in-wigs scale (most characters in it almost literally bleed smugness), plus it's terribly funny.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

post-2023-0-76147900-1366121561.png post-2023-0-12095700-1366121572.png post-2023-0-11786100-1366122102.png post-2023-0-65817500-1366122114.png post-2023-0-27412500-1366122124.png post-2023-0-96216100-1366122134.png

Let's not forget Barry Lyndon. It rates very high on the gits-in-wigs scale (most characters in it almost literally bleed smugness), plus it's terribly funny.

i wonder if someone came to darkmod forum one day, and sees all avs is wigs, and like "holycow.. :blink: what is this place..."

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

When are they implemented ingame? :D

quite practical for some nobile charachter, can we add wigs instead hats, just like switсhin heads right now?

and yeah, that would probably make them unKOable, adds the challenge you khow :laugh:

Edited by someTaff