The Dark Mod Forums

Dark news for thief 4..

Bikerdude

As far as I remember an original video for the game before it became a stealth game, was the player running around a castle that later became lord baffords castle, with a bow and arrows shooting guards. the video used to be on ttlg or the circle but not the forum part of the site.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After taking that link, reading the reviews, the trailer etc., I'm not excited at all about it.

But my reason's are probably different to everyone elses.

Examples:

The gothic (1980s) looking clothing with buckles and belts (should have a backpack 'tho to store the booty) - the slow motion jumps and the 3rd person view switching the taking longer to unlock locks 'to increase tension with the player" bit. The ridiculous bow.

The reports that Garrett now swears and guards are now talking like mall cops in a Bmovie....

...........After reading the reviews of the trailer and various 'official releases', I can now easily understand why the mess up with the crew supposed to be making it.

All their exciting (to them) new ways to get a bigger customer base has resulted in each side giving up ideas so the other side can get their ideas worked in as well.

It just splits the game to where nobody is happy.

They should just make the game for everyone under 21 and give up trying to include the want's of older Thief fans, who they will surely upset with these new changes.

The 'reality' part suggests that gone are missions like Contantine's Sword with his acid in wonderland house and replaced with brothels and other 13 year old turn-ons.

Thankfully I now have all my Thief games working with better graphics and resolution, umpteen fan missions and can play anytime (am currently doing Thief Gold" AGAIN.... )

Besides with The Dark Mod and missions I think I'm thief full. ...And don't really want a Thief 4 after all.

I want exploding frogs!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks better than the last trailer! Although I am a bit skeptical about this game I will wait until I see actual gameplay footage to see how it plays out.

They sure spent a lot of money on that CGI.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

How is this any different than the last trailer, other than being more self-conscious ("I AM Garrett...no, really...and this outfit helps me hide, that's why I'm wearing it!"). It's a lot of close-ups of tools and equipment, and some film from the same action sequence (same noblewoman, even) as the last trailer.

It's even the same fucked up drawing pose that was leaked years ago.

Saw it seconds ago... looks fine but again I'll wait see more of gameplay, but I'm not with hope honestly. This thief calls himself Guarret, I'm afraid he isn't Guarret, a thief yes but not Guarret the thief of the series. Eidos Eidos... you are spending to much money on this trailers, listen to the fans, go play the games, call back the original voice actor o Guarret, don't do the stupid idea of player match bottoms to do an action (because you know... it's what nowadays the developers are doing), no co-op and multiplayer please because I have the feeling they will do it.

no co-op and multiplayer please because I have the feeling they will do it.

As long as the single player doesn't suffer form that, I would appreciate a coop mode. Some years ago I've played the splinter cell coop with a friend and it was a whole lot of fun.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Yeah, so reboot version of Garrett is stuck in his 13-year old self. Why should he act like such a self-indulged, stingy teenager? I can buy that he's self assured and cocky, because what the hell he's a master thief maybe even the master thief, but c'mon. This? This is over the top, bordering just silly. :huh:

Here is the gameplay trailer.

Third person takedowns. Points awarded for headshots. Generic actiony music. TDS aesthetics in environment design. Really obvious paths. Two shills trying to sound excited.

This is so bad. :(

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Body awareness. Your body is attached to your hands, so you can use your hands as a frame of reference to figure out where your body is.... yeah.

Or, alternatively, since NuGarrett wears darkened contact lenses apparently, its hard to see where hes going. Keeping your hands in front of your face is a great way to make sure you don't run into things.

There is something morbidly funny about

"We really respect the DNA of this franchise!" *headshots guard for 40 XP*

If that xp is used for anything other than achievement unlocks, the game is already ruined, period. The only way an rpg system like this could even be FRACTIONALLY acceptable is if its like a KO / Killing / Stealth skill tree, where you only get points for the stealth tree by gaining xp for every AI in the level that you DIDN'T kill, small points for KO. And frankly, even that system is abysmally terrible. But still better than what was presented.

What the hell? So his hands really DO float around on screen, ALL THE TIME???

yeah, that's quiet annoying!!

... that streched hands all the time while walking looks like Garret being a Zombie Thief from Return of the Living Dead.

Hope all that game markers can be diabled in the options.

... so far Thief 4 seam to become even worse than expected!

Glad there is The Dark Mod for the "real" stealth experience :)

Edited by fllood

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

"As long as the single player doesn't suffer form that, I would appreciate a coop mode. Some years ago I've played the splinter cell coop with a friend and it was a whole lot of fun".

Is good someone is having fun with co-ops :), but personalty I think is becoming to much nowadays.

I just saw the gameplay trailer I simply have no words to say just one think... why? Action knockouts, really? That's what wasn't in the other games and worked fine, and the most stupid think trying to knock out from the front, and because we gamers are retards we have to have circles to tell us where to hit. Killing a guard while saying "We really respect the DNA of this franchise!", I'm sorry to say to you guys but no you didn't, Guarret will not kill a human he actually proud himself for that because... that's for amateurs, and now you turn Guarret in a amateur thanks Eidos and developers -_-. And of course AI of this game... I'm actually happy to say that TDM is better than this new game, as far as I saw in the start actually the guard didn't cared about the light being off that's to say something, in contrast to TDM we see guards lighting lights so guys responsible for this mod congratulations and keep on good work you are better than this big publisher and development team.

To sum up Thief4... I'm not going to buy, didn't impress me like, no game actually coming will impress me easily this year.

I can't believe that stupid cloak thing...it makes it look like your monitor got smeared with petroleum jelly!

And is it just me, or was anyone else expecting more from this "next gen" software? We have heads in TDM that look better than the ones in these shots...the teeth don't even have a normalmap! The particle effects on the water arrow looked pretty dodgy too.

I can't believe that stupid cloak thing...it makes it look like your monitor got smeared with petroleum jelly!

And is it just me, or was anyone else expecting more from this "next gen" software? We have heads in TDM that look better than the ones in these shots...the teeth don't even have a normalmap! The particle effects on the water arrow looked pretty dodgy too.

And also the amazing AI on those guards *sees you* *4 seconds later* *attack*

As I, and many have already said in the past- probably in this very thread (paraphrased of course):

It will be a game. Maybe a terrible game (likely), maybe a decent game or the off chance that it may actually be a good game.

There's on thing it won't be, however, and that is a thief game. It should be called something else and it should not feature Garrett by name. I would be fine would it only contain references and nods to the past thief games, but it should not be aimed to be a part of it. Because simply put, it cannot.

Edited by GameDevGoro

But Spring. Eidos Montreal are giving us MOCAP!!!! ;)

sure about that sometaff? vision indicators all up in your screen edges, and big captions of "suspicious" and "alert" hanging over all the AI's heads throughout the game, even if you do not interact with them. Well you have to interact a little, you should still

the loot from the AI once in a while...