The Dark Mod Forums

Dark news for thief 4..

Bikerdude

I really like crowbar as a "key" tool,

It doesn't look like you select it like a tool though; it seems more like just a scripted animation, just like the hand opening doors.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure im a new poster and have only recently been introduced to the thief series (played alot of The Dark Mod though before joining the forum), but Im liking what I see of the game so far! Hopefully the stuff having to do with the highlights and the floating notifications can be turned on and off though.

Now i just really wish i had more than just TDM, I really wish i had the original Thief games to compare with this one, even if TDM is really close if not the same to Thief in comparison. :(

Also yeah first post, I should explain that im loving the entire idea of the thief series and stealth gaming in general, and im loving TDM so far and that im anticipating playing Thief 4, although I wish i had the originals.

Hopefully I'll get to making some TDM missions soon once i get ahold of how Dark Radiant works!

Edited by MacD11

hehe crowbar to pry windows and for climbing, like that :ph34r:

indoor fog looks weird :wacko:

Shadows somewhat less dense than i expected, hope there will be gamma adjust

Focus ability optional! :rolleyes:

Guards looks dumb, they even did cut out scuffle part from previous reel :wacko:

Thief has dogs, luckily in the cage or taff time will be over in no time :huh:

My main concern is unhued blueish color scheme they choose, why no lively thief 2 colors :o now it looks like everything is haunted

No kills or knockbacks and no detection objectives - goodsy!

Guy knockback and kill munite later though :huh:

So - is it mock or ingame footage?

Edited by someTaff

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

It looks interesting. Hopefully as TylerVocal mentioned, maybe disabling "post processing" in the video menu would rid the screen of the distracting foggy halo surrounding the screen... maybe not. I'm not a fan of the "sneaky hands" always on the screen either however they do a good job of animating them through many sequences such as on the edge of a pillar hide or pressing buttons/opening doors so they feel more a part of the player.

It will probably be one of those things after playing a couple hours that disappears and you really don't notice (which means it was wasted time developing them in the first place). My only concern is that when you're in a "pinch" and you need to "hit the lights" or shut a door, instead you'll be stuck in some god forsaken animation and not be able to do anything else versus all previous titles where you could frob and move simultaneously. Oh look at my thiefy jazz hands! Many times they do feel immersive though so I guess we'll have to wait and see how it plays.

I'm not sure why (oh.. yeah, back to the dumbed down player instructional video) eVERy game now-a-days wants to add the "see through walls" OpenGL wallhack in to their games. Its a game. Games are suppose to challenge you, or at least they used to. On the bright side, as in the new Hitman you can just choose never to push that button unless prompted by the story line or disable it in the menu or choose a difficulty level that removes those lame player tools. Still immersion breaking for me at least.

As far as the "takedown" feature, I'm sure this is a remnant from the Deus Ex games and I actually like it. I don't see jumping on an AI and punching them in the face, myself. I see dropping on the guard and dropping him (hopefully with a some "alert other AI" noise which it would make) as opposed to having to sneak up behind him and blackjack him. Another tool with which to help remove difficult patrol path guards. It will all boil down to how they execute it though.

The new voice of Garrett, at least for me, is appropriate. This is a precursor to all the theif games (supposedly, like the new Tomb Raider?) though that would mean we're not IN the "Metal Age" yet?? But that niggle aside, if it is a precursor then Garrett is younger than in the previous titles and should have a younger, different, maybe more sneaky less passe type of thief voice. He's not had all the experiences yet... but he has upgraded gear over the previous games.. compound bow, etc.... wish they'd stuck with the precursor theme more as far as in-game time-line; aka. no Metal Age, no electricity, no compound bow, less sophisticated gadgets. That would have made the "younger Garrett" more believable to me. Having a mix of "Everything is advanced" eXCEPt Garrett is kinda like... whaaaa???

The Heart of the Lion reminded me of "The Heart of Lone Salvation". It would be a great compliment if they copied the story lines from several TDM missions yeah? Good money too from the lawsuit! (j/k sarcasm)

All in all... it looks interesting and who among us can resist a new thief game.

I haven't seen any third person footage yet, anyone else? :unsure:

Haven't seen any yet and I have to say personally, I hope none exists. The only third person I recall is from the third game with wall-hug. That or less for me would be ideal.

Oh yeah, and regarding the "downloading" of loot that pops up in this thread sometimes. You mean the progress bar right? Not that it has actually anything to do with streaming data from the guard's belt? :D

If you are all referring to the progress bar then it's not that bad actually (maybe just poorly designed it looks hella modern and out of place). That way they can increase the difficulty easily when pickpocketing something without making the AI any smarter. Not a bad move considering.

The new voice of Garrett, at least for me, is appropriate. This is a precursor to all the theif games (supposedly, like the new Tomb Raider?) though that would mean we're not IN the "Metal Age" yet??

Nope, the developers said this is neither a sequel nor a prequel. This is a re-imagining of the series. They are picking and choosing whatever history fits their vision of 'Thief'.

Nope, the developers said this is neither a sequel nor a prequel. This is a re-imagining of the series. They are picking and choosing whatever history fits their vision of 'Thief'.

Oh... yeah you are correct. I mispoke :)

I actually like the idea of having to frob pickpocket items for a certain length of time before you can take them...boosts the tension of pickpocketing and is a bit more realistic. The indicator looks totally out of place, but the idea is nice

The problem with that swoop ability is that it kind of defeats the whole velocity versus noise gameplay. If I can swoop my way through noisy floors then what's the point? (assuming surface floors still play a role in stealth...)

I actually like the idea of having to frob pickpocket items for a certain length of time before you can take them...boosts the tension of pickpocketing and is a bit more realistic. The indicator looks totally out of place, but the idea is nice

Let's get that to TDM pickpocketing!

Maybe it could be similar to lockpicking a single pin. I mean highlight pouch/key/item on guard's belt, hold frob button, release at the right moment to snatch it. Failure to get it right means the item is not obtained.

How to signal the right moment to the player is a big question mark, though.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

The guard could turn around and tell the player how they were an adventurer once, before they got an arrow in the knee. If the player lets the mouse go during the word KNEE, they get the item.

Perfect!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Let's get that to TDM pickpocketing! Maybe it could be similar to lockpicking a single pin. I mean highlight pouch/key/item on guard's belt, hold frob button, release at the right moment to snatch it. Failure to get it right means the item is not obtained.

Hypothetically speaking.....

You could use sound as an indicator, but it doesn't feel quite right for pickpocketing. Having the object jiggle slightly, like a door handle, might work. I would just make it time-based (hold the frob for x seconds) rather than make the player look for a pattern, though. That way, rather than just having to lean in for half a second to snatch an arrow from someone's quiver, you'd actually have to frob it for a few seconds to simulate the act of slowly sliding it out.

Did anyone else notice that while they said rope arrows are back, you can only shoot them into designated spots? When he tried shooting that beam to get into the attic near the end there, he missed the "target" and had to shoot again.

So really, rope arrows are there, but they are not like they are in the other games where you can shoot them into anything made of wood/cloth etc.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

When he tried shooting that beam to get into the attic near the end there, he missed the "target" and had to shoot again.

This suggests that there's only one route up, and it's through an area near the 'target spot'. Miss that and you're too far away from the designated route for the game to deal with it.

Another thing that bugs me is the artificial need to use the special sense mode or whatever they call it, just to see where on a rope that you need to shoot it with a fire arrow to make it break. Look at 9:34, there's only 1 spot on that rope to shoot. That's moronic, there is no need for that type of limitation on fire arrows in regards to ropes.

The video shows at 10:14 that when he draws back the rope arrow, the tip of that wood lights up. So that means that's the only place you can shoot a rope arrow into.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

We've heard rumours that there are a lot of things like that, where you can only do things in certain areas, even down to leaning and mantling.

If cover/ climb mechanism is similar as Gears of War 1, you don't have potentially every obstacle mantable + invisible blockers if you need them; instead you have everything not mantable + you need to specify cover nodes from every single side of a wall. Every piece of wall separately.

S2wtMNl.gif

I thought I read that the hands are only out when crouching (and when "interacting" like coming to a wall or door, etc), so if you stood up and walked they are down, but now I'm not sure the source on that.

When I saw those 2 AI walking through each other I thought that was a pretty big bug.

I agree that a more involved pickpocketing mechanic is an interesting innovation I liked to see, although I also didn't like the "loading" popup for it and would like it with some other indication.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.