The Dark Mod Forums

Lux's mapping thread

Lux

Paste the texture projected.

For example: if the patch is pointing upwards, create a brush with the same texture on it, middle mouse-click on the top surface, then ctrl+middle mouse-click on the patch.

Using shift+middle mouse-click pastes the texture natural. It depends on how the patch is formed what looks better.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

EDIT: Every time I have 3 patches selected it happens for me everytime. With 2 patches selected I only get crashes occasionally maniupulating the vertices.

EDIT2: Sometimes it crashes, sometime it doesn't. Not sure what's going on. I've had 10 patches selected all with vertices on and manipulating them with no issues and then other times it crashes.

Drop me a link with the map and the exact location this is happening.

Drop me a link with the map and the exact location this is happening.

I have to say now after messing with vertices for nearly the whole of yesterday that its completely random and though it is linked to moving vertices. The first couple times I created a simple patch mesh and assigned column/rows of 9 or over (and no I'm not using that many vertices in a single patch) I would hit V to bring up verts and then group select a row or column and the instant I moved them DR would crash.

After reading your post above I created a random 9x9 patch selected a row and translated them and DR crashed. I restarted DR and now that works with no issue. Then I did 11x11, selected a row, translated them, no problem. So I created a 15x15, selected a row, translated them and DR Crashed again. Restarted DR and tried 15x15 again, now it works fine.

It could be because I'm using SLi video cards? Not sure and its not repeatable unfortunately. Good thing too cause I had a spaghetti of vertices I was moving around yesterday and I didn't have any more crashes after the first 4 and then the 1 this morning.

Paste the texture projected.

For example: if the patch is pointing upwards, create a brush with the same texture on it, middle mouse-click on the top surface, then ctrl+middle mouse-click on the patch.

Using shift+middle mouse-click pastes the texture natural. It depends on how the patch is formed what looks better.

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. I recall in the tutorial copying and pasting texture on the bevel though all my patches were skewed in some way. Never thought of just creating a brush with the texture on it, using that, and then deleting the brush. Duh!? :\ Silly me.

Thanks Obsttorte!

I think I mapped yesterday from 8am till midnight... listening to some trance music. The day felt like it went by in like 3 hours.

I did get all my inner and outer city walls up and the god forsaken patch terrain in place :)

Thanks guys for your comments, very helpful.

I have to say now after messing with vertices for nearly the whole of yesterday that its completely random and though it is linked to moving vertices. The first couple times I created a simple patch mesh and assigned column/rows of 9 or over (and no I'm not using that many vertices in a single patch) I would hit V to bring up verts and then group select a row or column and the instant I moved them DR would crash.

After reading your post above I created a random 9x9 patch selected a row and translated them and DR crashed. I restarted DR and now that works with no issue. Then I did 11x11, selected a row, translated them, no problem. So I created a 15x15, selected a row, translated them and DR Crashed again. Restarted DR and tried 15x15 again, now it works fine.

It could be because I'm using SLi video cards? Not sure and its not repeatable unfortunately. Good thing too cause I had a spaghetti of vertices I was moving around yesterday and I didn't have any more crashes after the first 4 and then the 1 this morning.

I've been having similar problems a while ago when I've used a high patch subdivision. Check for patch subdivision treshhold in your DR preferences and make sure that you don't set the subdivision too high in the patch inspector when setting it manually.

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. I recall in the tutorial copying and pasting texture on the bevel though all my patches were skewed in some way. Never thought of just creating a brush with the texture on it, using that, and then deleting the brush. Duh!? :\ Silly me.

Thanks Obsttorte!

Took me almost a year until I've found out this exists. (To be honest, I discovered patches more then 6 months after starting mapping). Patches, and especially proper texturization of them, is a tricky thing that needs the knowledge of some *tricks* to get proper results in a exceptable amount of time. Handling them is one of the highest steps a mapper has to take IMHO, so it's not a shame if one gets stuck there. :smile:

Good luck furthermore.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter