The Dark Mod Forums

Still no Doom 3 BFG support? (Not a rant.)

salamanderrake

"The BFG Edition features enhanced graphics, better sound with more horror effects, a checkpoint save system, and support for 3D displays and HMDs."

Doom 3 textures and sound can't survive standalone, leaving 3D displays and oculus rift support the only missing elements. Unless you actually want to play Doom 3 BFG.

Doom 3 BFG is vastly different than vanilla.

The source was recently changed to allow mod support:

http://www.doom3worl...pic.php?t=26065

but the tools and assets that that engine uses are just too different.

Anything is possible of course but most of the master coders who've looked at the two code bases haven't been

too positive about any merging prospects given how different these engines are.

Reckless over at Doom3World might try porting the resource loaders from Vanilla to BFG anyway if enough interest is shown.

I am more inclined to look forward to Tr3b's ( Robert Beckebans ) Doom 3 vanilla branch. He has a Forward+ (pre-light renderer) that

performs as well as BFG on a single thread (BFG requires multiple threads to gain the same level of performance).

The problem being that I have heard that he wont release his code until after he completes his overall project which appears to

have some commercial affiliation?

Either of the above may still be incompatible with TDM's light gem system so who knows if it's worth the crossed-fingers. (though I'm drooling

over his claims of 15 FPS\vanilla vs 300 FPS\(tr3b or BFG) on a custom test map...)

Edit:

Wayback Archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130319220420/http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=26065

Project Backup:

https://taken.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

Edited by nbohr1more
  • Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

What's the word, if any, on the prospects for the Occulus Rift support being ported over?

Edit: But you know, somebody already coded it for the Dark Engine on their own. So I suspect somebody will be smart enough to do it for the Doom3 code base of all things sooner or later, with or without seeing the other code.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

you need 3d support to make Occulus Rift headset work, cos you would have to split the image from the players eyes, into coming from a image from one eye then an image from the other eye in the same tick. then you would send the image from the left eye to the left screen in the headset and the image from the right eye to the right screen in the headset. So when wearing the headset your eyes would merge the two images to be one image and it would look as it you were in the game world.

and if you can do that maybe the sky camera can be fixed so it projects its image from the game origin and not the players eyes. cos the game origin is a fixed point while the player's eye are constantly moving.

Edited by stumpy

What's the word, if any, on the prospects for the Occulus Rift support being ported over?

There is no native Rift support in D3 BFG. Carmack's initial hack only works with the early prototype, not the developer kit.

Community efforts to add support seem to be happening, there is a fork and a thread. I guess it's going to happen once more interested developers get their hardware.

Then: copypasta => win!

B)

Yes, after seeing someone getting it working on Thief2 of all games, and now this fork project, I'm very confident about it now.

The future is bright! B)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 5 months later...

There is no native Rift support in D3 BFG. Carmack's initial hack only works with the early prototype, not the developer kit.

Community efforts to add support seem to be happening, there is a fork and a thread. I guess it's going to happen once more interested developers get their hardware.

Then: copypasta => win!

B)

the thread is down. I was hoping the 3d support code from doom3 BFG could be ported into the darkmod for Oculus, but I see BFG uses id tech 5 engine tech. It doesn't sound so easy now. Damn this would be awesome on the Rift.